16 replies to this topic

#1 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I recently completed my first mandala design and thought I would share it here:

2661056_orig.jpg

This is my interpretation of the traditional concentration object for zhiné meditation. Zhiné meditation is different from samatha and other forms of mindfulness mediation in that you focus on a physical object that is outside of yourself. You can read more about zhiné at my post here

Designing and then painting and gilding this mandala was an act of meditation within itself. I felt so much calm and presence when working on it. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising, but it was quite honestly not an effect I was expecting - I had no attachment as to how I would feel while working on the mandala. To be honest, I hadn't even invested any thought as to how I would *feel* since all of my concentration and intent was focused on creating something that would be beautiful and useful for my meditation practice. It is my hope that the sense of calm and presence that I felt while working on this mandala might be transferred to others who gaze upon it.

I am currently working on another mandala, which I have designed to celebrate union and love. The new mandala is much more complex than this simple, concentric pattern. The complexity concerned me somewhat, but as I started to paint, the same sense of calm and presence came over me. I am pleased with how the progress on this new mandala is coming along, and look forward to sharing it once it is completed.

This is the start of my journey with these meditation mandalas. I hope you all have the opportunity to feel peace and stillness at your center. :heart:

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Love it!

#3 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Very nice.

Do the symbols in the center mean anything?

#4 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,631 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

sweet!! :)

#5 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thank you all! :heart: :)

Yes, the central symbol is the Tibetan letter A - here is what I wrote about it on my website:

Zhiné meditation - which is also know as calm abiding meditation or Tibetan dream yoga  - differs from samatha meditation in that rather than concentrating on the breath or other internal sensations such as body-scanning, the practitioner focuses on an physical object outside of themselves. Traditionally, zhiné meditation is practiced by focusing on the figure of the Tibetan letter A, which is enclosed within five concentric coloured circles of indigo, blue, green, red, yellow, and white.

The purpose of focusing on a physical object that is outside the body is to develop stability during the perception of external objects. This practice will allow one to clearly perceive objects in a dream, and lead to increased states of lucidity in both waking life and when dreaming. The ultimate goal of zhiné meditation is to allow for the practitioner to be lucid upon death, at the moment when the soul exits the physical body.

I'm really happy about how the new mandala is coming along as well. I am really enjoying exploring these forms. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated as I progress with this project.

#6 bocatino6

bocatino6
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Nice! 

#7 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 987 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

That looks great!

#8 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks folks!

Here is a sneak-peak of the new mandala I have been working on. It's design is a lot more complex than the first one!

69618_450244945048506_1616448865_n.jpg

#9 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Great work Lola. I have a sketchpad of drawings that started as a mandala workshop but has evolved from there...

How do u do that metallic lining?

#10 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Hoagie. They are really interesting designs to work with... I get lost in them.

The metal is all hand-applied metal leaf. It's a PITA, but I love the effect.  I'm about 13 years out of practice with it, so it's been a bit of a learning curve. The copper one posted above took me about 4 hours to gild, and I still have to go in and do some touch-ups. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, b/c it sort of just looks like I used metallic paint, but it's important to me to combine pure elements with the mandalas, so I'm stuck with gilding them.

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

It looks spectacular. Wonderful touch. You have them looking very mathematical and balanced. Rockin

#12 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Thanks - getting the design nailed is one thing... Then painting and gilding it is entirely another... Talk about a labour of love! :lol:

#13 JLP

JLP
  • VibeTribe
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

gorgeous !

meditation through creation/art is a beautiful thing (:

#14 PKMister

PKMister
  • VibeTribe
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Beautiful! Namaste :)

#15 amcirie

amcirie
  • VibeTribe
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAlbany - NY

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Amazing work, keep it up :)

#16 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, everyone! :)

#17 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Finally getting around to posting some photos of the mandala I created earlier this year to celebrate the union of recently married couple.

23924907.1f5d9a1c.500.jpg?r1

The colour palette for the mandala was chosen to feature the favourite colours of both the bride and groom, and the mandala was further personalized by the inscription of their initials and the date of their union in hand-applied copper leaf at the center. I very much enjoyed creating a personalized gift that celebrated their partnership, and am very pleased with how the colours worked with the copper. As can be seen in the image below, the copper outlines play with the light beautifully, giving the piece a very different feel dependent on how it is lit when displayed. Although it's not visible in either of these photos, the 1.5" wide edges of the wooden canvas were also gilded in copper which was left unvarnished so as to develop a patina over time, while the actual painted surface has been varnished so that the copper outlines will remain bright and shiny.

23924889.61c303ae.500.jpg?r1

I'm fairly pleased with how this one came out, and the couple who received it were thrilled with having an artwork that celebrates their union of love. I do offer these pieces as custom works as well if anyone is ever looking for such a thing. All the colours would be selected based on the preferences of the couple it is being given to, and the metal leafing would be chosen to compliment those colour choices.