Photo

What do you hate and love about festivals?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

This is for my friend helping out a festival. I'll just quote her from facebook to make it easier on me.... icon_e_wink.gif 

"I want to know seriously. If you go to a festy besides the music and people what are you happy to see. And what is the worst thing about a festy besides the thieves. Im talking as far as a festy is put on."

" " I and i am sure the owners want the best fam experience possible. I just want to make it work and profitable so they can continue. So any info on even slightest will help." 

"Again anything you can think of that would make a festival of 1 of the festival that you would remember for the rest of your life let me know no matter how minute you think it maybe it could mean a world of difference word of mouth is the best marketing there s cell let me know what you're thinking thanks much appreciated let's make this the best ever 2013 baby"

So any ideas, thoughts, what ever you think. Just put it out there. This is for a smaller fest than that of GotV and I think their second year so it's a growing experience.

#2 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,450 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

Girls really really want clean facilities with toilet paper.

#3 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,644 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

clean bathrooms make all the difference in the world

I don't like when there is a security check point between camping and the show.  if there is just make sure people don't have booze and let them go

I don't like or need tons of stages 2-3 is fine

I like a short walk from camping to the show

I am a fan of a good light show and no video screens showing the band they just detract from the light show

I hate stupid scheduling; electronic and rocking bands should be at night, bluegrass and more mellow stuff during the day

I like to have space to camp, there is nothing worse then staff yelling at you to park your car dangerously close to the person next to you and knowing you are going to have hardly any room for your stuff

I really liked at Rothbury how they had hammocks and stuff to use in the show area.  I thought it was a nice touch

Also at both Rothbury and 10,000 lakes they had structures in the show area that provided shade 

mist tents as well as multiple free water stations are also awesome

#4 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

Yes portos kept clean is a biggie

for me a well boundaried & respected family camp area

not too big - not a fan of the huge fests

the fests I go to have low sketch (at least where I travel at them). I don't mind the partying, been there done that - just not in family camp area. I go to see my family, the music is just a bonus. I think /greyfox Bluegrass fest is one of the most well organized, best run fest I have ever been too & it's pretty big! Talk to them. They are awesome & more than willing to share their secrets!!

#5 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,357 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

Love:  Festies that have lots of shade!

Hate:   porto's.    Flush trailers are best.

#6 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,937 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

let people bring there drinks where ever they want to bring them

#7 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

well now that im a mom... family camping!

#8 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,644 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

We knew you liked it shady :pimp:

#9 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

1.  Natural Ice on tap for cheap prices.

2.  "No Glass" rules exclude good booze.....and items that could be used for good thingies...

3.  Everyone working the festival should having a loving and caring type of thingy going on so the people attending are welcomed with it and sort of feel the need to carry it on and pass it on.  A Bear's Picnic is a perfect example of this.....think their security was called the peace patrol or something cool and they were cool....and everyone was cool.

4.  Not just toilet paper but GOOD toilet paper= no need to use a roll for a single wipe and none of that auto break off after every 3 sheets of thin stuff. It's sort of a basic human right to wipe properly without stress.

5.  Guides for the intoxicated after dark.....or during daylight.

6.  In the case of vibes, an entrance from the brick-shit-house to the vending area without the long ass walk/crawl.  No need for security, just a hole in the fence would do fine...or a couple of ladders.

7.  Ice/water available 24 hours a day within a shortish walk.

8.  A public area of shame for people caught stealing stuff....like my blow up doll...I mean mattress.  Shitbags should really be put out on display for entertainment and possible rights for pay per view TV. 

That's my list and it is not formatted for the original question but I'm on a mac and the formatting is a little different...pardon me.

#10 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

let people bring there drinks where ever they want to bring them

Yeah and the event should offer up people to carry them so mixed drinks don't go flat.   Maybe mules to carry us when we have to venture over 100 yards to the music/bathroom/party.....but never shall we have to carry a drink and be sneaky and such.....that is the job for our guide.

If anyone has a hookup so I can work and make $$$ being a drink guide since I'll take credit for coining the term I'll let you sip some :-)

#11 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,865 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

Dislikes:

Anything over a 2 hr wait to get in

Dirty portos

The rigorous pat downs to get into concert areas

Far walks to the stage

#12 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

awesome good stuff, I'm gonna pass it on in the morning before work, keep up the ideas! 

I agree with alot of it if not all, BYOB is awesome and every where should have this! 

porto paper is more or less the people that clean it and rent from, so I always bring my own good paper, plus you never trust if there's any in there that's not been pissed on.

#13 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,829 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

Assuming that you will have security to enter a concert field, have multiple exits.  Sucks having to leave the field like cattle.

Security that are not heavy handed.

Free tap water

Decent amount of space for camping.  Vibes needs to give a couple of square feet.

A better way to allocate space than a car spot.  Walk in people get screwed.

Friendly fest "ambassadors" People that walk around to answer questions, give directions, or even the time of day.

#14 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Opps, I almost forgot the biggy....if you are going to have amnesty boxes for people to leave their goodies before  getting searched I should be gifted a key to decide what should go in the trash and what I should share/use/overuse....  Actually thinking about making a shit ton of them on my own and putting them everywhere with titles like "30 years in prison for single malt, 50 years in prison for good rum....leave your stash and such and such but I'll enjoy the heck out of it". 

What about the rum...

#15 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,829 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

Rum should be piped in from Jamaica....

#16 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,644 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

I agree a camp area should be bigger then a car space.  I have a little ass car, so I get less space for being economical and environmental.  It also really ticks me off when people listen to a fest and carpool and then get screwed with no space for doing so.  One of the reasons I never carpool anymore.

#17 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,450 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

Yeah and the event should offer up people to carry them so mixed drinks don't go flat.   Maybe mules to carry us when we have to venture over 100 yards to the music/bathroom/party.....but never shall we have to carry a drink and be sneaky and such.....that is the job for our guide.

If anyone has a hookup so I can work and make $$$ being a drink guide since I'll take credit for coining the term I'll let you sip some :-)

I don't make money because I share, but what you need is a Bubba Jug. It will quench 4 very thirsty drunky adults for pretty much an entire set. Two years running and this still holds true. :grin:

#18 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,450 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

My favorite festivals have maximum freedom of movement. I'm not a fan of gates and fences, although I get it when dealing with big crowds, but they should still be at a minimum. I do not like to feel caged.

And reasonably priced ice vendors!

#19 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,644 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

Yeah down with $4 ice :joker:

Oh and I love camp bisco because there are no kids only Kidz :pimp:

#20 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:25 AM

love: music you love, music didnt know but fall in love with. Pretty women, falafels and lemonade, nice weather, collaborations, good stage emcees. and it's all about friends

hate: mistreated children and dogs. sunburn, having to break festival fantasyland to take medication.

#21 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

Also a smaller fest then most big ones.

#22 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Good micro brew at reasonable pricing (I vote for $4-5 tap beers)

Good local out of the norm fest food at vendors - one of the best example I can think of is grassroots - everything from local organic to alligator meat 

a couple of times a day load a golf cart with Ice and sell it in camping so folks do not have to haul multiple bags

shade

musician sit-ins with other bands playing that day

art everywhere (Vibes is a great example of this)

Kids Tent area and a Family area camp

Shade for tent/camping areas

fun/good vendors 

Dislikes:

Expensive beverages and food / Lame options for food/beer

over zealous security

poor planning (no rain plan, unclear medical plan, poor logistics/infrastructure, etc...)

#23 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I don't make money because I share, but what you need is a Bubba Jug. It will quench 4 very thirsty drunky adults for pretty much an entire set. Two years running and this still holds true. :grin:

Witnessed!

#24 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Advice to your friend:  Hire a marketing person or learn punctuation.  :funny1:

#25 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Now for an actual answer...

Seems that some of the biggest beefs I've heard have already been mentioned, and shouldn't be too difficult to improve.

1.  Any festival can live or die on its shitters.  I can't stress enough how important this is.

2.  After paying hundreds of dollars, many hours of preparation and a long drive, NOBODY wants to deal with overzealous, arrogant security.  Security is both important and needed, but there is no reason they need to be acting like TSA dickheads.  Quick check for bottles and obvious problem items and that should be good. 

3.  W A T E R.  Plentiful and preferably free.  I have no problem with REASONABLY PRICED bottles for sale, but ONLY if there is an option for free water (that doesn't taste like the trash man's ass)

And personally, I'm not a huge fan of schlepping all our shit in sans automobile.  There are times I'll deal with it if the camping area is quality, but if I'm looking at two competing events and one has car camping, they'll get the business nearly every time.

#26 musicfan

musicfan
  • VibeTribe
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and say painted boobies...  The world is a happier place with painted boobies...

#27 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and say painted boobies...  The world is a happier place with painted boobies...

I hereby amend my list to include this.

#28 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Can we still have unpainted boobies?  :boobs1:

#29 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,829 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Unpainted bewbs...

#30 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Now for an actual answer...

Seems that some of the biggest beefs I've heard have already been mentioned, and shouldn't be too difficult to improve.

1.  Any festival can live or die on its shitters.  I can't stress enough how important this is.

2.  After paying hundreds of dollars, many hours of preparation and a long drive, NOBODY wants to deal with overzealous, arrogant security.  Security is both important and needed, but there is no reason they need to be acting like TSA dickheads.  Quick check for bottles and obvious problem items and that should be good. 

3.  W A T E R.  Plentiful and preferably free.  I have no problem with REASONABLY PRICED bottles for sale, but ONLY if there is an option for free water (that doesn't taste like the trash man's ass)

And personally, I'm not a huge fan of schlepping all our shit in sans automobile.  There are times I'll deal with it if the camping area is quality, but if I'm looking at two competing events and one has car camping, they'll get the business nearly every time.

I really dislike festivals that have car-separate-from-camping.     So much easier to be able to camp by the car....and so many advantages.    I just think people in general seem to be happier at car camping festivals, and grumpier when separated from cars.

#31 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,625 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Dislike: people, wooks, dogs with dirty bandanas, golf carts, jam bands, dust, mud, Jerry Rolls.

Like: 

#32 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

shade...

#33 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,175 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

well, now that i know my own needs and limitations and have been doing it so long that its become a science, i love almost everything about festivals!

yes, theft sucks, but just leave your stuff locked up if its not ON you :dunno:

i even keep my clothing in the car now

and the "butlers tent" for your chairs and coolers :wink:

if wooks dont see an easy rifle and pillage cooler sitting out in the open, they will move to the next site that has them out in the open

avoid all that with a silly 30 dollar tent

hang out here and look through some camping idea threads

we got a ton of good information here with so many veteran festivalers and vibe tribers

i hate that they end! :plain:

#34 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

ending is the saddest part, takes so long for them to get here and happens so quick....... Damn I love festivals.....

#35 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Good Shade and shitters are a plus

Camp party music is fine from boombox.

A generator powering a high wattage sound system and lighting in a personal campsite is too much, and I didn't pay for DJ Sketchwook's set nor do I want to hear it anytime between 4am-8am.  Shut down or move to all  night party camp and not just randomly set up next to me.

#36 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

:lol:  DJ Sketchwook

Awesome.

#37 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I saw him at Strangecreek last year.  

#38 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

a couple of times a day load a golf cart with Ice and sell it in camping so folks do not have to haul multiple bags

YES!! Greyfox has an IIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE truck that constantly goes around the campground area and SC & WT have started driving golf carts around with ice too. So great!! :jam:

#39 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Try not to have rain at the festival.   LOL

#40 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

or 103 degree temps

#41 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

Hmmm, will have to look into one of those.  Sounds like a great idea for non Vibes type of events.  My landlord might own one.....he famous for showing up to a party with a 44 ounce mug with about a 60% vodka mix.....then doing a refill and he doesn't share.

#42 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,625 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Good Shade and shitters are a plus

Camp party music is fine from boombox.

A generator powering a high wattage sound system and lighting in a personal campsite is too much, and I didn't pay for DJ Sketchwook's set nor do I want to hear it anytime between 4am-8am. Shut down or move to all night party camp and not just randomly set up next to me.

And they want to know why we need 30-round magazines.

#43 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

IIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE truck

He does the Rhythm and Roots Festival too.

I like when he puts kids on the mike to IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it up.  :lol:

#44 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,039 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: I had totally forgotten about Eco's toilet paper fetish  :lol: :lol: :lol:

#45 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I hate cops,sure they are needed, but not around in the venue, that's what the private security is for...

#46 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,175 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

you certainly didnt gain that POV at vibes! the cops there are friendly, respectful and pretty awesome in how they appreciate us

guess its the perspective a cop gains working in bridgeport

makes us look like schoolchildren :lol:

anyhow, i love them and will never forget the compliment we got from one of the boot patrol guys collecting for a fallen fireman a few years back...he noted the same velcronian putting a large bill in a boot every time he walked through the checkpoint and i heard him remark to his friend "man, i dont care what people say, these hippies sure are wonderful folks!"

and who can forget the hula-hooping cop! :D

(wish i had a link to the pic)

#47 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

you certainly didnt gain that POV at vibes! the cops there are friendly, respectful and pretty awesome in how they appreciate us

guess its the perspective a cop gains working in bridgeport

makes us look like schoolchildren :lol:

anyhow, i love them and will never forget the compliment we got from one of the boot patrol guys collecting for a fallen fireman a few years back...he noted the same velcronian putting a large bill in a boot every time he walked through the checkpoint and i heard him remark to his friend "man, i dont care what people say, these hippies sure are wonderful folks!"

and who can forget the hula-hooping cop! :D

(wish i had a link to the pic)

Definitely this!

Last year was classic - "You all look pretty good for a bunch of people on ..... "

#48 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,175 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Definitely this!

Last year was classic - "You all look pretty good for a bunch of people on ..... "

as joker strutted past him in a choir robe and cone cup boobies :D

followed by the rest of us freaks, donned up for the parade with the pig head on a stick, all lit up :lol:

:lmao:

#49 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

ALL HAIL THE PIG!!

#50 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

The cops their were pretty nice for the most part, just like anything there's a few assholes in every bunch. Plus with it being public land, I get why they'd need to be there and protect us from the world outside the gates, Bridgeport isn't a place I'd wanna walk around at night time for sure...... So I thank them for being at the gotv.