Documentary Club, Season 2, Episode 4 The Power of Community

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

It's under an hour and more inspiring than some others I was considering.

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990, Cuba's economy went into a tailspin. With imports of oil cut by more than half – and food by 80 percent – people were desperate. This film tells of the hardships and struggles as well as the community and creativity of the Cuban people during this difficult time. Cubans share how they transitioned from a highly mechanized, industrial agricultural system to one using organic methods of farming and local, urban gardens. It is an unusual look into the Cuban culture during this economic crisis, which they call "The Special Period." The film opens with a short history of Peak Oil, a term for the time in our history when world oil production will reach its all-time peak and begin to decline forever. Cuba, the only country that has faced such a crisis – the massive reduction of fossil fuels – is an example of options and hope.

#2 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

no takers?

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Just said, "I need to watch this week's documentary club video."   :smile:

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

This one is good. I dont really know what to add, so I'll just concur with the main theme. And feel we will return to this way again by force.

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

This one is good. I dont really know what to add, so I'll just concur with the main theme. And feel we will return to this way again by force.

This.  Personally I think that the lessening of community plays a part in the current state of society.  

Many of us are not even close to self-sufficient in taking care of our food and energy needs.  

Seems it is only a matter of time before a change will be forced upon us.  Whether during this generation or a future remains to be seen.

Good luck growing crops year after year with one shot seeds, however that may me a topic for a different documentary.

#6 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,632 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

no takers?

Been lax on my Doc-Club...watching now.

#7 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Watching now...

Great explanation of peak oil from 6:30-9:15. I wish the whole country could watch this 2 minutes and 45 seconds...

Thoughts:

-The decline in available energy in the developed world will likely be more gradual than in Cuba, so there's hope that we'll adapt less abruptly

-Our use of the Trading With The Enemy act against the people of Cuba is shameful

-Monocultural agriculture is a bad idea. We'd do well to grow our own basics.

-Big love for the Aussie permaculture folks who pitched in

-Composting! :)

-Smaller farms better able to use sustainable practices!

-Diggin' the changes in planning to make schools, work and other needs nearby in cities

-Don't know if burning waste from sugar is good for the planet, but not relying on imports for energy is smart

Really liked this doc...it's inspiring and hopeful. :)

#8 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,632 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Nice Thoughts Tim. 

I watched this. Just have to take a few minutes to put thoughts down about it.