• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

i can no longer tolerate scoop away's dust.    they must have changed the formula in the last year or so because it's much worse than it used to be.

what's your favorite cat litter and why?

i prefer clumping

MUST be unscented

thanks!  :)

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I usually use this - kinda pricey, but I like it...

http://www.swheatsco...iginal-formula/

#3 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

tried that when Diamond first came but i didn't care for it.   neither did she for that matter!  :)

#4 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

we switched from Scoop Away to Stop&Shop brand scoop.  My father got the "wrong" stuff but this store brand seems to have a lot less dust,  so we switched.

#5 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

i picked up a walmart brand - special kitty :funny1: - at lunch it says it's 99.9% dust free and came in an unscented offering. 

#6 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

you know, i tried Special Kitty once and thought it was really good.  then i bought more and realllllly didn't like it...way too dusty, even though it also said it was low-dust. (??)  obviously there was one type that i liked but i've been unable to find it ever since and i gave up after a few tries and went back to our usual brand.  

after trying just about every cat litter out there, including all the natural ones, i've resigned myself to using Tidy Cat multi-cat formula.  it's the only litter i've found that doesn't make me want to throw the boys outside to do their business (which would never ever happen, of course) for one reason or another.  dusty, too much tracking, too messy, no absorption, too smelly...etc.  

speaking of cat litter, with the addition of Lucy the turd burgler into our home a couple of months ago, i had to figure out a new cat box situation because apparently puggles (probably the beagle half) LOVE eating poop and she was making a snack of the cat box at every opportunity.  SO. GROSS!  and since we don't use the natural stuff it was super unhealthy too so i really needed to figure out a solution fast.  

i shopped around a bit and settled on the Booda Dome "clean step" cat box.  the cats enter the box via a little staircase that makes a sharp turn into the box itself.  they can get in/out easily but Lucy can't fit in there for snack time.  and the staircase is made to clean their paws before they leave the box, so tracking is minimized.  double prizes!  

so if anyone has that issue in their house, or has a cat who makes a big mess outside the box by flinging litter everywhere...i suggest the Booda Dome.  :) 

#7 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,866 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Tidy Cat multi-cat formula.  Clumping, no dust, no scent.   Works great.  It's the only litter we've used for several years...

#8 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

special kitty is WAY too perfume-y!   :tongue:

i tried tidy cat some years ago, guess i'll give it another shot.   multi cat formulas usually have a scent though

#9 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I used Yesterdays News (I think this is old/outdated packaging, but it was what it looked like when I used it). Made from recycled newspaper. While it didn't clump, I was able to scoop out the wet/used areas and clean as she went (The pellets sort of 'get mushy' when wet and can be identified and scooped). 

dogooder.jpg

#10 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,175 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

i use worlds best cat litter

it smells like corn (cuz thats what it is :funny1: )

it clumps nicely with no dust and tracking

World%27s+Best+Cat+Litter.jpg

here is a link to a review about it 

http://cats.about.co...tter-Review.htm

i have never had a problem with the mold thing and ophelia is really healthy so i love it

i pour it from the bag into a plastic bin that closes tightly and make sure to roll my cat litter box daily and take it apart and clean it whenever she manages to poop against the wall or the tines of the sifter wall :plain:

it really is far superior to anything i have tried in every fashion :clapping:

#11 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

...........  I suggest that immunocompromised cat owners, or owners whose cats are already immunocompromised should avoid using this litter,

i'll have to give that some thought, may try the tidy cat first for this reason though.  

#12 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 987 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

I use same litter as dee :-) ~ can find it at hannaford.

#13 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

my friend SWEARS by hers 

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

She has 5 cats in a 2 br townhouse...and it never smells like cat in there...nor cat box (unless you're next to the box when one takes a dump...but nothing is gonna help that lol)

#14 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

i've tried it and didn't like it. i use arm & hammer. it can be a bit dusty but it does the trick and is always on sale where i buy it. and i can get it fragrance free although, now that's it's winter and all 5 cats are inside all the time, i've taken to buying the "multi cat" or "super mega extra strength" (or whatever their name for it is :funny1: ) variety.

>^.^< >^.^< >^.^< >^.^< >^.^<

#15 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

you know, i tried Special Kitty once and thought it was really good.  then i bought more and realllllly didn't like it...way too dusty, even though it also said it was low-dust. (??)  obviously there was one type that i liked but i've been unable to find it ever since and i gave up after a few tries and went back to our usual brand.  

after trying just about every cat litter out there, including all the natural ones, i've resigned myself to using Tidy Cat multi-cat formula.  it's the only litter i've found that doesn't make me want to throw the boys outside to do their business (which would never ever happen, of course) for one reason or another.  dusty, too much tracking, too messy, no absorption, too smelly...etc.  

speaking of cat litter, with the addition of Lucy the turd burgler into our home a couple of months ago, i had to figure out a new cat box situation because apparently puggles (probably the beagle half) LOVE eating poop and she was making a snack of the cat box at every opportunity.  SO. GROSS!  and since we don't use the natural stuff it was super unhealthy too so i really needed to figure out a solution fast.  

i shopped around a bit and settled on the Booda Dome "clean step" cat box.  the cats enter the box via a little staircase that makes a sharp turn into the box itself.  they can get in/out easily but Lucy can't fit in there for snack time.  and the staircase is made to clean their paws before they leave the box, so tracking is minimized.  double prizes!  

so if anyone has that issue in their house, or has a cat who makes a big mess outside the box by flinging litter everywhere...i suggest the Booda Dome.   :)

We have a Booda Dome.  It's great - you'll like it.  Kittehs seem to like it too.

#16 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Nancy, if just build the neighbor's kids a sandbox as a "neighborly gesture".  Problem solved.

Or, if they're inside only, you could try to train them to use the terlet.

home-page-photo.jpg

cat-using-toilet.jpg

#17 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Diamond maybe, not Tiger.  :)

so i SWEAR, with the tidy cat?    one cat's pee clumps fine and the other's just completely falls apart.     :dunno:   :bang:

#18 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

might be one went some time before the other one.

i noticed that my guy seems to go right before he wakes me up.

if i shower first, no problem, take care of the box first, no so clumpy.

but i'm the guy that still can't get his cat into the carrier to take him to the vet (snip).

if that ever happens, and the toilet is working properly, i will try the city kitty / litter kwitter

#19 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

nope, it's consistently that way.   and i'm cleaning it first thing in the morning when they've been on the bed with me for some time so i know they haven't used the litter box recently.    (even if they had to go, they'd use the upstairs one at that time of day) 

it's very strange and i've never dealt with anything like it.   :dunno:    the stuff doesn't clump as well as the scoop away in general but is definitely less dusty.  

#20 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

i know Tidy Cat has a red or blue version, maybe try the other one ?

maybe blend the Tidy Cat with the one that worked ? 

#21 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

the other odd thing is that the peeball that does clump well forms a giant perfectly round ball.   i've never seen such perfect peeballs and peeballs that are such a complete disaster in the same box, every day before.  :lol: 

#22 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Speaking of cat boxes... So they say you should have one box per cat but, um, yeah I have 5 cats. I have 2 boxes upstairs and one in the basement for Luna since she likes to spend a lot of time down there as it is her sanctuary away from the boycats. So, no matter what, all 5 cats go in the same box! Luna even waits now to go upstairs! Its so weird. I mean, there is a tiny bit of usage of the other upstairs box but jeez... The experts were so wrong about my gang :lol:

#23 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

I use feline pine and the petsmart generic version of it.

All natural

3 cats and you can't even tell.