• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

I'd love to keep in touch about your training plans (i.e. distances, times, routes, etc.). 

If you use the Garmin.Connect site, we can even be "Connected"!

Any takers?  Beuller?

#2 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Guess not.

#3 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

I've done a few half marathons &. this fall I'll be running my first marathon.... hopefully there won't be another hurricane (was planning on doing 2012 NYC).

#4 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

I've done a few half marathons &. this fall I'll be running my first marathon.... hopefully there won't be another hurricane (was planning on doing 2012 NYC).

Do you use a GPS to track your runs?  I am currently using a Garmin305.

Just getting back into long distance running after a few months hiatus and completed a 20k stint this morning.  One last half marathon this season then I'm going back to short 10-15k distances for the rest of the season.  I'll be back in Iron mode come next November though.

What kind of training schedule do you follow?

#5 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I use the mapmyrun app since its on my phone. I'm not training for anything yet but have a 10 mile race coming up in March, a half in may & a marathon in November. Right now I'm trying to do 2 days swimming, 2 days spinning, 1 short run during the week & a long(ish) run on the weekend. I wanted to try to do an Olympic distance tri this summer but not sure what my running schedule will be like.

#6 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

I use the mapmyrun app since its on my phone. I'm not training for anything yet but have a 10 mile race coming up in March, a half in may & a marathon in November. Right now I'm trying to do 2 days swimming, 2 days spinning, 1 short run during the week & a long(ish) run on the weekend. I wanted to try to do an Olympic distance tri this summer but not sure what my running schedule will be like.

It sounds like you're holding a pretty consistent scheudle now for triathlon training (swimming and spinning are excellent cross-training for runners).  Your current half marathon run training will be more than adequate to complete an Olympic distance tri.  Throw some medium range tempo runs and a few speed (track) workouts in the upcoming weeks prior to the tri and, Bob's your uncle, you'll be toeing the line easily.  Could be the perfect "mental toughness" training day leading into your really long days before the marathon in November.  If you like, I have just completed four years of triathlon training, specifically for Ironman this past September, so I can help balance your training schedule if you liek to be effective and safe.  :)

#7 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

I only do 3.5 mile runs so I am definitely not an endurance runner!

#8 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I only do 3.5 mile runs so I am definitely not an endurance runner!

Hey, you do what you do.  And look at it this way, you run 3.5 miles more than most people.  ;)

#9 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

Thanks, some tri training pointers would be great. Now just have to pick a race. Karen - 3.5 is great. Hope you are enjoying it!

#10 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, some tri training pointers would be great. Now just have to pick a race. Karen - 3.5 is great. Hope you are enjoying it!

A basic rule of training is to multiple the distances in each discipline of your race by 3.  If your run is 5k, then you want to fit 15k into your weekly schedule (not all at once of course).  If you're cycling 20k, you want to train to 60k per week, and so on.  Most beginners will run 3-4x a week, cycle 3x a week, swim twice a week and then lift weights or do yoga once a week as strength conditioning.

Each discipline (swim, bike, run) should have three elements:

1.  Easy jog/bike/sim where the point is to just exercise lightly and not to pursue distance, pace, cadence, distance, whatever.  Just do it at a comfotable pace.

2.  Speed or Tempo work.  Speed work is intervals practising going fast, or exercizing your heart to keep up with your body.  If you can be the faster person in the world but if your heart can't pump blood fast enough to your muscles to make them go, you're useless.  Tempo is maintaining a slightly faster than "race pace" over a consecutive period of time without break.  This practices your heart and body to function as one.

3.  LSD - No, not the freaky shit you hippie, I mean "Long, Slow, Distance".  This is where you build your mileage up to the distances you will want to cover in your race comfortably.  Start at a point you can cover easily and then builing that base distance by 10% each week with each fourth week being a "recovery week" to let the body heal.

Then there's the infamous "Brick" workout where, typically, you do two workouts consecutively back to back to train your body to perfrom while already fatigued. Most triathletes will focus on running "off the bike" to get accustomed to the "cement legs" feeling of running on tired legs, but you can also bike immediately after a swim workout as well.  I swear by Brick workouts because this is where you train your "mental toughness" to keep going when your body is screaming to quit.  I NEVER miss a scheduled Brick workout.

Let me know what questions you might still have, or what clarifications I can make for you.  I can show you samples of my training weeks from back then.  My weeks are a little more intense now given the distances I am covering now at the Iron level, so I train beyond what is required for a Sprint level race.

#11 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

Doing my first half of the season this weekend & just entered my name in the nyc marathon lottery.... I find out if I'm in may 24th!

#12 Little Ho Peep

Little Ho Peep
  • VibeTribe
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

Think I might do the 50 Yard Finish half marathon again this year. http://www.eclipsemu...fiftyyardfinish

Finish line is the Buffalo Bills 50 yard line.

#13 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

The 50 yard finish run looks fun! Good luck if you run it!

#14 Little Ho Peep

Little Ho Peep
  • VibeTribe
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Thanks!  I did the inaugural one last year and it was a blast.

Which half are you doing this weekend?

Good luck in the lottery!

#15 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

Thanks! I'm doing the Long Branch Half this weekend in NJ - it's at the beach so the course is nice and flat!

#16 Little Ho Peep

Little Ho Peep
  • VibeTribe
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

A friend from high school is doing Long Branch, too.  Looks like good running weather - have fun!

#17 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

Helen - how did your half go?

I've had some setbacks with my running with a pulled calf muscle so i've swtiched gears into endurance swimming and cycling while I regain my leg strength.  I'm planning a few swim/bike events this summer, an Olympic triathlon at the end of August and, hopefully, I can begin increasing my running mileage again towards the end of summer leading into marathon training for 2014.  Knock on wood...

#18 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

The Long Branch race went really well. Took 8 minutes off my time from 2 years before so I was really happy with my time and had fun cheering on friends doing the marathon. I ran the Brooklyn half last weekend and did well. My time wasn't as great but I think I was exhausted before the race even started.... Alarm went off at 3:40 am so I could get to the start on time. I'm very excited for Wednesday - I find out if I get into the NYC marathon! If I don't get in by lottery I may join a charity group. Do you know if the charity has to pay the NY road runners for entries? I heard a rumor that they might but not sure. I'd feel pretty lame asking people to donate if 100% doesn't go to the charity. How's your calf? Sorry to hear you're sideline with running but it's great you can bike & swim still. Good luck on your events!

#19 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Congratulations and god luck with the NYC Marathon! 

My calf is getting better and I'm starting to run again, albeit only for short distances. I'm making that time upon the bike and in the pool though.  I placed third over all this weekend in my first swim/bike event and clocked the fastest swim time over all.  Pretty happy.  :)

#20 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

Congratulations on your race! 3rd is awesome. Happy to hear you're calf is getting better. I didn't get into the marathon by the lottery. I figured it was a long shot this year. So - I signed up to run with American Cancer Society Team DetermiNation! Now have to figure how to train around theVibes ;) perhaps a long run on the Monday after.

#21 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Now have to figure how to train around theVibes ;) perhaps a long run on the Monday after.

Funny you should mention that.  The first year I did triathon I attended the GreyFox Bluegrass Festival and went for short runs each morning around the site while the rest of the camp was still waking up and getting going.  I remember those as being some of the most enjoyable moments of the weekend getting to witness the aftermath from the evening before.  It's still quiet, the smell of coffee brewing...lovely.  It doesn't have to be anything long or intense, just keeping the legs accustomed to moving regularly. Give it a try.  Oh, and bring a camera.  ;)

#22 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Cool... I'll do the short runs and not worry & I'll make sure to post a photo or two!

#23 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Cool... I'll do the short runs and not worry & I'll make sure to post a photo or two!

Enjoy yourself.  The hard part is getting up, but you'll love it.  I promise. 

Likewise, I'd really like to see those photo's afterwards, thank you.  :)

#24 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

So, yeah, I started another side blog.  No big deal.  It just chronicles the music I listen to on all my run workouts.  Don't expect any great revelations, it's just that I'm as obsessive compulsive about my running music as I am about blogging the shit out of everything. 

http://fatandthefuri....wordpress.com/

Enjoy.

#25 helen back

helen back
  • VibeTribe
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

So I finished my tri this weekend & ready to get serious with marathon training. I've got the schedule down, with a few training races scheduled (LBI 18 n October). Any nutrition advice? I know the basics no junk food, booze, etc... Anything else I should be looking out for?

#26 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

So I finished my tri this weekend & ready to get serious with marathon training. I've got the schedule down, with a few training races scheduled (LBI 18 n October). Any nutrition advice? I know the basics no junk food, booze, etc... Anything else I should be looking out for?

How did your Vibes running experience go?  I'd love to see some pics if you managed to do so.

Nutrition is specific to you.  The typical long distance formula for nurition while racing/training is this:  CH (carbohydrate) 75-95g /hour, NA (sodium) 600-1200mg/ hour, H2O (water) 1.2L / hour.  You'll have to experiment to see what food stuffs for your body and digestive system as we'll all very different.  You may need more or less depending on your ability. 

I like running with a baggie of dried dates and sliced almonds, others use performance gels, chews, bars, etc. (providing you can afford them).  Before you exercize, take in a light meal with lots of easy-burning carbs, etc.  There are lots of running forums you can Google by typing 'marathon nutrition strategies'.  Nothing is ever carved in stone, so don't be afraid to tweak specific plans you find to cater to your needs.  Also, remember that while you're experimenting, you'll inevitably have some crappy runs which, in themselves, are valuable learning experiences in how not to do things.  Welcome than and learn from them.  You'll figure it out. :)