• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Bliss Kiss

Bliss Kiss
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

My first post in the parenting forum... weird, but awesome! :jump:

Does anyone have any advice they could share on camping with a baby or taking a baby to a festival?

#2 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Strangecreek
Family camping
Pack and Play in the tent for sleeping
Parents alternate nights "off"
Sun screen
Lots of water

It helps if you are with other families so everyone can pitch in with things things like meals and keeping an eye on the kids. If there are older kids that are willing to keep an eye and an ear out for your baby when it falls asleep at night you can pay them to text you if baby wakes up...keep in mind this isn't a night off because the older kids get tired so you need to check in at set break etc

#3 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Also congratulations :Phishfolk:

#4 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,721 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

Congrats! :ura1:

#5 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

Lots of warm clothes for nighttime - HATS
everything Phishfolk said :)
earplugs for the lil one
a sunshade for the field
Depending on when, we used to get a real small blow up pool & fill it up under our sunshade on the field at Vibes to keep them cool
Baby, wipes, baby wipes, BABY WIPES
stroller or wagon to nap in, get places-my kids slept through 3 thunder bobby's in a row in a wagon w/ a pillow as a mattress :funny1:

I'll think of more - congrats <3

#6 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

Congrats! :clapping: What everyone has already said. Some key things to repeat are sunscreen, hats, and earplugs. I cringe every time I see a baby without hearing protection!!

#7 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:19 AM

Congratulations!!!

#8 Mr_Pat

Mr_Pat

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

Oh and check out this list. At the bottom there is a kids section, you you think of anything that can be added let me know ;)

http://www.gathering...ead.php?t=51669

#9 Bliss Kiss

Bliss Kiss
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions, tips and baby love. :)

We're thinking of flying out to Yonder's Northwest String Summit festival. It would be our baby's first flight, camping and festival experience. She'll be 7 months by then. We're optimistic... and scared. :lol:

#10 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

You're braver then me :lol:

#11 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

I think that you need to live the life you want & take the baby with you everywhere. Babies are adaptable & flexible. My kids will go anywhere & do anything, they can stay out late, go to bed early, travel far, eat whenever & whatever & it's because we've always just brought them everywhere. It's all they know.

Cate's 1st fest was Vibes 05, she was 4 mos old. Jess's first was Vibes 07, she was about 7 mos. They've gone to fests every summer of their lives (they're now 4 & 6). I think they key is: be prepared to leave whenever necessary. If you don't try to force them into something, or pushing themselves, they won't melt down (until they're 2 or 3) :lol:

#12 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

A baby that little is very easy to travel with, besides the "stuff" factor. Take advantage while you can! :lol:

By the way Bliss Kiss Royal was just asking about you on the family board the other day! How funny that you posted here after so long! :wink:

#13 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:02 AM

This thread gives me hope and with that hope comes a big smile. :smile:

#14 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

a suggestion I read from elsewhere...is to use a clip or a lock to lock the tent from the inside (a shower curtain ring works well) that way the baby can't escape (if they're old enough to use a zipper) and you can sleep a little more soundly knowing no one can get into your tent.

How old will the baby be for his/her first fest?

#15 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

I just found a helper for me. :v:

#16 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

we had an 8 month old at strangecreek last year. she slept in her pack n play in our tent and we set up a little battery operated tea light in the middle of the tent, so if she woke up for any reason, she wouldn't be in pitch blackness, surrounded by sounds she's not used to. it worked swimmingly!!
we also used our big stroller (much better for fests than an umbrella stroller. they recline easy for naptime and are just easier to navigate not-paved areas) and kept the tray filled with water for her to splash in. i highly recommend it. she stayed hydrated and entertained in the sun all weekend.

#17 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

I have my kids sleep w/ earplugs in. Helps a lot!

#18 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

I'll be the random guy in the crowd who sternly lectures you if the baby is close to the stage without earplugs. :smile:

#19 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

I have my kids sleep w/ earplugs in. Helps a lot!

Toddy has been searching ear protection for the baby as soon as I got pregnant.

He's a bit worried about me being there this year and her being so small. I guess we'll see.

#20 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Toddy has been searching ear protection for the baby as soon as I got pregnant.

He's a bit worried about me being there this year and her being so small. I guess we'll see.

Back when we had itty bittys we would use cotton and a snug hat over her head, especially at night time when it got cooler. Friends of mine used the cotton balls with tape but that never worked so well for us. There are also tiny little headphones which are supposed to work great.

#21 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

WE haven't been able to find a brand small enough yet. I really like the cotton balls and hat idea for the baby.

#22 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

WE haven't been able to find a brand small enough yet. I really like the cotton balls and hat idea for the baby.

And while she's little enough she won't even try to pull it off her head. :funny1: That won't last long though. :wink:

#23 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

I used the cotton balls and tape for Jerry and Abby.

I think shade is wicked important, especially for the concert field. And hat hat hat. Depending on how small they are some sort of back carrier is helpful too.

#24 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

This is what we got when Damien was only 5 months old for his first festival. Worked great!
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002SW3EZQ

#25 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

I use wax earplugs. You can break them into little pieces, they mold to the ear canal so they're not uncomfortable & they can't get them out themselves!

Wende-if you're talking about strangecreek, it's really not as loud there as the other fests (at least I don't think so). they also seem to keep the sound levels down during the day & tun them up the later it goes - maybe that's just me? :dunno:

#26 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

Yeah we don't worry about ear protection at strangecreek but we also don't stand in front of speakers right up front with them either :lol:

#27 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

I REALLY REALLY wish it was Strangecreek we are talking about. :heart:

Someday I'll get back there.

#28 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

I was considering this too, and a comment I got on the Telluride Bluegrass board was it's much easier to take them camping BEFORE they can walk. So do it at 7 months. Our problem was our baby will be only 10 weeks during Bluegrass, way too young I think.

I would get one of those wagons everyones mentioning. Kids seem to love those! And we have a BOB stroller, that thing is a workhorse in carrying kids/stuff. If you bring straps, you can rig even more stuff to it to carry things around. On the field you could collapse it so it doesn't block anyones view, or sit in the back with the sunshade and dont worry about it. The most popular is the Kelty Sunshades.

#29 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

I Love my kelty sunshade :jamguy:

#30 Bliss Kiss

Bliss Kiss
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for all the great advice! My Kelty sunshade has been ordered! :jamguy:

#31 deadandgrateful

deadandgrateful
  • VibeTribe
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

First and foremost... stay away from camp cooter, we steal babies :clapping:

Posted Image

#32 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,981 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:08 AM

cute! and nice name. :lol:

#33 Guest_Again and Again_*

Guest_Again and Again_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:07 AM

a big towel or blanket for the ground so you can put the baby down to roll around and still stay clean if you need her/him to be.

#34 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

How did it go??

#35 BKNY

BKNY
  • VibeTribe
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

How do I go about getting family camping passes?? My baby will be 6 months and ready to Vibe!!!

#36 mayfly

mayfly
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

can't say enuf about the baby wipes, they adapt well to camping with adults also LOL

My daughter's first show was Buffett at 6 months old, she has since been to 4 vibes and this will be her 7th Stonehenge, 4 strange creeks, 1 wormtown at 4 yo and 2 phanphests and 2 bears picnics. She always finds other cool kids to hang with or baby sit LOL

as Mama Kel said - they do adapt well and what better people to have them psueudo grow up with then other cool hippie kidz :rose:

nice break from the "pressures of the city", my now 14 year old looks forward to her festival tour each summer

#37 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

She's 14 now? :eek:

Guess I'm not getting any younger :bang: :lol:

#38 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

How do I go about getting family camping passes?? My baby will be 6 months and ready to Vibe!!!

Email Sums

#39 McTarnahan

McTarnahan
  • VibeTribe
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:44 AM

Earphones, earphones, earphones! My two and a half year old has been to the vibes two years in a row, lots more shows, and loves it! I have a new baby coming any day now, and will be there this year with the whole gang!

#40 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

Earphones, earphones, earphones! My two and a half year old has been to the vibes two years in a row, lots more shows, and loves it! I have a new baby coming any day now, and will be there this year with the whole gang!

This.

I cannot count the number of times someone we don't know has come up to us at a show to praise the fact that Benji has earphones :headphones:

#41 Guest_Again and Again_*

Guest_Again and Again_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

I wish our kids were willing to wear theirs. Tara and Sol both kept trying to rip them off during Jorma's set this weekend. Maybe they're onto something... :)

#42 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

I wish our kids were willing to wear theirs. Tara and Sol both kept trying to rip them off during Jorma's set this weekend. Maybe they're onto something... :)

I couldn't keep headphone on Lily. We stay in the back :lol:

#43 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

Man, we are lucky, Benji actually asks for his headphones :headphones: either that, or he really doesn't like the same music as us :undecided:

#44 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

Man, we are lucky, Benji actually asks for his headphones :headphones: either that, or he really doesn't like the same music as us :undecided:

:funny1:

One thing that you and Beany did that I really liked was Benji's wristband (made out of duct tape?) with your contact info on it. That is brilliant.

#45 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

wax earplugs! They can't pull them out! :jamguy:

:funny1:

One thing that you and Beany did that I really liked was Benji's wristband (made out of duct tape?) with your contact info on it. That is brilliant.

They also make temporary tattoos that you can buy with your phone number on them. Saw them on the internet somewhere

#46 funkybluemarissa

funkybluemarissa
  • VibeTribe
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:29 AM

Great thread! thank you for all of the info :)

#47 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

The tattoos were at safety tat. I got 24 for $19.99 with both our cell #'s on them. 1 tat lasted 5 days!:jamguy: