Photo
- - - - -

The Invention of Capitalism: How a Self-Sufficient Peasantry was Whipped Into Industrial Wage Slaves

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,421 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hmm...interesting as I have thought for years that we are but slave and puppets.

http://www.filmsfora...be_industrious/

“Poverty is therefore a most necessary and indispensable ingredient in society…It is the source of wealth, since without poverty, there could be no labour; there could be no riches, no refinement, no comfort, and no benefit to those who may be possessed of wealth.”

#2 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

In other words, one can't be super rich without hundreds of thousands of poor folks.

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,421 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Seems to read that way.

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,800 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Seems to me that centralized economies - whether they're created via government command or monopoly/oligopoly - suck.

Concentrate food production > Get the former farmers into the cities to manufacture stuff > Ship manufacturing overseas > Low paying service jobs are pretty much all that's left, has been a great plan for corporations, and not so good for your average Joe.

I dig the Greens' ideas about local economies. Wouldn't want to see them forced on anyone though.

#5 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Seems to me that centralized economies - whether they're created via government command or monopoly/oligopoly - suck.

Concentrate food production > Get the former farmers into the cities to manufacture stuff > Ship manufacturing overseas > Low paying service jobs are pretty much all that's left, has been a great plan for corporations, and not so good for your average Joe.

I dig the Greens' ideas about local economies. Wouldn't want to see them forced on anyone though.

This.

The problem isn't in human action, it's in monopoly/oligopoly powers of the use of force and violence to get compliance. Centralized, concentrated power is one of the most horrible ideas humans have ever mustered up.

#6 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Frozen concentrated orange juice is an equally horrible idea

#7 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

So is blueberry flavored coffee

#8 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,989 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

You people are just going to have to learn to accept that this progress is for the betterment of mankind   :rolleyes:

Mmmmm thank you masters

Bud_Chelada_16_oz_can.jpg

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

:burp:

#10 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,800 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

You people are just going to have to learn to accept that this progress is for the betterment of mankind   :rolleyes:

Mmmmm thank you masters

We are soooo fucked.

#11 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,989 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

~ And we will all go down together ~

#12 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Not me, fella. Once the zombie apocalypse is in full swing, I'm taking my cooler full of beer and hitting the road.

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,421 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've been going down for years, oh wait...

#14 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Mmmmm thank you masters

Oh.  My.  Lord.  I think we have just found a contender for the list of the universe's most disgusting beverage.  :puke: