Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Diplomacy works in mysterious ways.

#6 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

Diplomacy works in mysterious ways.

Then perhaps we should stop referring to all genocides by that name.

I find our refusal to call it what it is, because some people might get upset, absolutely disgusting. Diplomacy or not it's just plain wrong.

Never forget...unless it's convenient? Bullshit.

#7 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

no good comes from whitewashing the truth.

#8 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

I really just see this as another example of Obama's inexperience when he was running for President.

#9 zomblin_jones

zomblin_jones
  • VibeTribe
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Never forget...unless it's convenient? Bullshit.

that's exactly how it is

#10 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Not that anyone will see this here (and it's a fucking shame this thread was moved for God knows what reason)

Armenian Genocide 96th Anniversary Commemoration — Times Square — Sunday, May 1, 2011

THEME “TURKEY IS GUILTY OF GENOCIDE: DENYING THE UNDENIABLE IS A CRIME”

(February 25, 2011) NY, NY–For the 26th year, thousands of Armenian Americans and their supporters will gather in Times Square (43rd St. & Broadway) to commemorate the first genocide of the 20th Century: The Armenian Genocide. To be held on Sunday, May 1, 2011 from 2-4 PM, this historic event will pay tribute to the 1.5 million Armenians who were annihilated by the Young Turk Government of the Ottoman Empire. The Commemoration will also celebrate the survival and spirit of the Armenian people, their rich heritage and global contributions.

Presenters will include civic, religious, humanitarian, educational, cultural leaders and performing artists. This event is free and open to the public.

Armenian Genocide experts Dennis R. Papazian, PhD, National Grand Commander of Knights of Vartan, Dr. Arthur Kubikian, former Chairman of the Armenian Genocide Commemoration in Times Square (1999 and 2006) and Dr. Raffi A. Hovanessian, active in Armenian affairs and Vice Chair of the Diocesan Council in N.Y., are available for media interviews via phone and in-person. Armenian Genocide Survivors are also available (with translators) to discuss their eyewitness accounts as refugees from the Armenian Genocide. Their painful accounts of the horrendous horrors and mass destruction they witnessed and lived through are critical contributions to world history.

Dr. Papazian comments, “There is no question that when genocide goes unpunished, it makes other perpetrators discount the possibility of being punished for their transgressions. The Turkish government to this day continues to deny the reality of the first genocide of the 20th Century, the Armenian Genocide, which opened the door to all the genocides of the 20th and 21st centuries including the Holocaust, Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda and Darfur. In fact, when Hitler sent his Death Heads troops into Poland at the beginning of World War II, he said, “Go. Kill without mercy. Who today remembers the extermination of the Armenians?”

More
http://www.facebook....151445

#11 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

I really just see this as another example of Obama's inexperience when he was running for President.

One doesn't need much experience in order to call a spade a spade.

#12 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

One doesn't need much experience in order to call a spade a spade.

give him credit for at least mentioning it...how many other candidates do?

like i said...AIPAC'd

#13 zomblin_jones

zomblin_jones
  • VibeTribe
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

give him credit for at least mentioning it...how many other candidates do?

like i said...AIPAC'd

nah, cause he brought up an issue, then never acted on it. that's one of two things: hypocrisy or a lie to gain votes. either way, neither of those things deserve any positive credit

#14 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

On Armenian Remembrance Day, Obama Again Avoids the Word ‘Genocide’ Despite Campaign Promise to Contrary

On the fourth Armenian Remembrance Day of his presidency, President Obama has for the fourth time in a row broken his promise to the Armenian community to use the word “genocide” in describing what happened at the hands of the Turks roughly a century ago.

As a senator, and then as a presidential candidate, Barack Obama often talked about how bold he was to call the slaughter of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians at the hands of the Ottoman Empire just what it was: a genocide.

“America deserves a leader who speaks truthfully about the Armenian Genocide and responds forcefully to all genocides,” he said. “I intend to be that president.” In a January 2008 letter to the Armenian Reporter, Mr. Obama said he shared “with Armenian Americans — so many of whom are descended from genocide survivors — a principled commitment to commemorating and ending genocide. That starts with acknowledging the tragic instances of genocide in world history.”

In 2006, Mr. Obama noted, “I criticized the secretary of state [Condoleezza Rice] for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia John Evans, after he properly used the term ‘genocide’ to describe Turkey’s slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence.”

Asserted Mr. Obama, back then: “The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy.”

That was then, this is now. As previous presidents have concluded, Mr. Obama has decided that distorting the historical facts is better than alienating ally Turkey, which disputes that term. And that policy has been, at least in the short term, quite tenable.

The president in his statement today said “I have consistently stated my own view of what occurred in 1915. My view of that history has not changed. A full, frank, and just acknowledgement of the facts is in all of our interests. Moving forward with the future cannot be done without reckoning with the facts of the past. …Some individuals have already taken this courageous step forward. We applaud those Armenians and Turks who have taken this path, and we hope that many more will choose it, with the support of their governments, as well as mine.”

http://abcnews.go.co...se-to-contrary/

#15 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

meh, this is dumb.