Photo
- - - - -

To My Amendment II Compatriots Who Heckled The Father of A Dead Child Last Night In Hartford...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

You can eat a bag 'em.

Two bags. Well aged.

:angry1:

#2 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Have you (or anyone else) seen video of the "heckling?"

All I could find is a small clip and it appears the "hecklers" are simply responding to a question he asks. It doesn't appear to be any sort of attack on him at all and it's over in about 3 seconds.

#3 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

You know, I'm not finding any...shame on me for taking the press at face value...didn't think they'd gotten to the point where they were making stuff up this blatantly - if that's what they did. I will continue to poke around./

#4 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Doesnt look like heckling to me, but all I can find is an edited clip.  It looks like he asked a question, and it was answered by a few people at once.

I would like to see the raw footage before saying he was or wasn't heckled.... 

#5 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,410 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Have you (or anyone else) seen video of the "heckling?"

All I could find is a small clip and it appears the "hecklers" are simply responding to a question he asks. It doesn't appear to be any sort of attack on him at all and it's over in about 3 seconds.

I have not seen a video or even read a story, but because there is no video or the video is to short to tell.  That means there was no heckling?

Why would the media write this story then?  I know they go for sensationalism, but to out right lie and create a story?

:rolleyes:

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,145 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Wouldn't be the first time there was an out right lie to create a story, just sayin'.

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,410 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Wouldn't be the first time there was an out right lie to create a story, just sayin'.

Agreed, but not this type of story.  This is more of a he said she said.

They usually lie when they have a source spinning a story.

Why would they create a story about heckling a guy whose kid died?  That is my point.

#8 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I have not seen a video or even read a story, but because there is no video or the video is to short to tell.  That means there was no heckling?

Why would the media write this story then?  I know they go for sensationalism, but to out right lie and create a story?

:rolleyes:

Did I say there was no heckling?

I'd say they wrote it in order to help further the "gun control" agenda. Accusing the "gun nuts" of going off on the poor grieving father of a victim could certainly cause those not paying attention to lean towards the gun control side of the argument.

#9 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Why would they create a story about heckling a guy whose kid died?  That is my point.

A cynic might say they'd do such a thing to try to sway public opinion towards the gun control side.

#10 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

It's still not entirely clear to me, but from the 20 second mark on the video here:

http://www.huffingto..._n_2572503.html

it seems he said, "and not one person can answer that question," and a few people in the crowd did.

I wouldn't have done that if I'd been in the crowd, but it certainly doesn't seem to rise to my definition of heckling.

My apologies for not doing better research.

CT Post can eat a bag of 'em instead. :funny1:

#11 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,410 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Did I say there was no heckling?

I'd say they wrote it in order to help further the "gun control" agenda. Accusing the "gun nuts" of going off on the poor grieving father of a victim could certainly cause those not paying attention to lean towards the gun control side of the argument.

While I quoted you, you were not the only one who questioned the article.  Specifics are implied by the nature of the article.  Either it happened or it didn't that is how I took it.

But you did state, "they were responding to a question".  I saw it as him being interupted.  He was not asking them a question.  He was asking what I assume is a panel.  That is called interupting or heckling.

heckling

1. To try to embarrass and annoy (someone speaking or performing in public) by questions, gibes, or objections; badger.

By definition, I think they did heckle him.

#12 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,145 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Not just any kid's father, but one from a tragedy that has been in the media spot light and has fueled this current gun control uproar.

#13 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,410 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's still not entirely clear to me, but from the 20 second mark on the video here:

http://www.huffingto..._n_2572503.html

it seems he said, "and not one person can answer that question," and a few people in the crowd did.

I wouldn't have done that if I'd been in the crowd, but it certainly doesn't seem to rise to my definition of heckling.

My apologies for not doing better research.

CT Post can eat a bag of 'em instead. :funny1:

And by my account that is not a question.  That was a statement and shot at the right.  Which almost forced the right to speak up, because they were being called out.  

#14 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,410 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Not just any kid's father, but one from a tragedy that has been in the media spot light and has fueled this current gun control uproar.

Like I said, a very Liberal tactic.

Send out the one person who has had a tragedy, so he can not be attacked.  

When he is, it is a story.

This happens all the time.  This is how the left picks a fight it can not win.  Not with actual conversation.

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,145 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Ah, gotcha!

#16 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

I like the way The Slate answered this.

In essense they said that the "hecklers" shouted an answer in a forum where they should not have. (It was a hearing, and the witness was speaking), but they say that they were far short of heckling.  I agree.   Mr Heslin asked a question. Several people answered.  

The full video is there, with what looks like no cuts.  (around 15:06)

My Ruling: No Heckling.

http://www.slate.com...gun_rights.html

#17 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

That video puts the incident in a whole new light. It's no surprise the gun control crowd chose to use the doctored footage rather than the complete video to try and score their points.

#18 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

That video puts the incident in a whole new light. It's no surprise the gun control crowd chose to use the doctored footage rather than the complete video to try and score their points.

I agree. 

Should the crowd have spoken out of turn, no not in that forum.  But hopefully many of those people do not have vast experience in courtrooms, and did not know the protocol.  

But really, from what that video shows, and it does seem complete to me, there was very little evidence of "heckling".

And Mr Heslin, with all due respect to his tragedy, has put himself on the front lines of this debate.  He should be given respect, for sure, but he doesn't get a pass to say anything unchallenged.  IMO.

#19 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I agree. 

Should the crowd have spoken out of turn, no not in that forum.  But hopefully many of those people do not have vast experience in courtrooms, and did not know the protocol.  

But really, from what that video shows, and it does seem complete to me, there was very little evidence of "heckling".

And Mr Heslin, with all due respect to his tragedy, has put himself on the front lines of this debate.  He should be given respect, for sure, but he doesn't get a pass to say anything unchallenged.  IMO.

This.

It appears that he even responded to them respectfully.

Very shoddy reporting, and I again apologize for not having been more skeptical of it.

#20 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Clarification - the venue wasn't a courtroom and the event wasn't a legal hearing. It was an open and public hearing sponsored by the Connecticut Task Force on Gun Violence Prevention and Children’s Safety, and held in an auditorium in the Legislative Office Building in Hartford. The general protocol at these types of fora is to refrain from speaking unless formally addressed by the chair.