not sure if this appropriate... be honest

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

I dont have a problem with dr*gs or booze but I am (and I'm totally serious) struggling with both sugary and diet colas.  If I stop coca-cola I go on coke zero and vice versa.  I have put on weight through soda and we all know how bad diet coke is.  it's probably more like quitting smoking that a hard dr*gs but I am really struggling to cut back.  Some days I drink as many as 10 cans.

Let me know if you have any advice. I support some of you guys with your struggles and I hope you can take this seriously and give me what ever help you can.

#2 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,644 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

could you switch to a sugar-free flavoredseltzer water? buy a few flavors and gradually mix those into the soda 'line-up'?

its still the same thing, just not cola-flavored :dunno:

just an idea, i never developed a taste for soda, although i do like a diet coke or sierra mist free from time to time

i can see how the carbonation and the way it can tickle your senses as you drink it, could become reinforcing over time :smile:

or even make your own flavored seltzer...get it plain and infuse it with whatever flavors make you happy

in fact, this just occurred to me and it sounds yummy and i am totally gonna try it! :lol:

good luck ryan...i know you can do it :clapping:

#3 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,914 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Ser-biz, don't drink your calories. Water, plain or bubbly.

#4 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

sugar is definitely an addiction and breaking the habit can be hard.  i recently (November/December) went through sugar withdrawal when i gave it up and for me it mimicked nicotine withdrawal almost exactly...the cravings, the headache, the bad moods, even went through a day or two of intense mood swings and crying JUST like when i gave up cigarettes.  

and caffeine is another thing that can be difficult to give up, especially in such large quantities as you're used to.  but both addictions can be broken and you'll feel SO much better afterward if you just push on through!  

two things that helped me:  filling my life with things that make me feel great (like healthy food, exercise and long walks with my dog...and laughter and support helps too so try not to push your loved ones away while you deal with this) and finding something naturally sweet tasting that i could enjoy in small quantities to get my "fix" while giving up the things that were a problem.  for me that was mostly fruity herbal teas that i enjoy without any added sweetener.  no caffeine so you aren't feeding that addiction, and no sugar added.  

an easy brand to find is Celestial Seasonings.  try their fruit tea sampler until you find a flavor you like and stick with that, Ry.  it does help :)  and like IaSW already mentioned, water is great.  it will help flush everything out and get you through the whole process a little faster and easier if you drink lots and lots and lots of it.  i add ice and lemon or cucumber to mine a lot of times when i'm just not feeling plain water.  but definitely drink plenty of water even if you have to force yourself.  

#5 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thanks everyone,

Thug I love cucumber water, good thinking.

I had bad headaches this weekend and I thought it was a tooth thing. Turns out it was caffeinne withdrawl.  I was not drinking very much soda (although my friend Meg probably would say I was) and the headaches were terrible. I almost cried at one point.

IASW... great way to look at, get my calories by food not drinks.

Been drinking lots of water and it helps. Although it's kind of a waste of money, I find going into the garage and grabbing a bottled water like I'm grabbing a soda, really help.  I like th way water makes me feel.

I've done StrangeCreek without alchohol, gone through several 3 month stretches without alcohol. That was very hard for me.  This latest project will be.

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have several water bottles that I refill when empty and put back in the fridge.

#7 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

I "mostly" gave up soda a month or so ago.....still use it as a mixer once in awhile though.  Jersey Thug's suggestion for tea is a good one....but I cheat and add cactus sugar (forget the name) most of the time.  Amongst your reasons please look into HFCS.....that shit that they call sugar that is added to soda and tons of other stuff people consume.  Teo's suggestion for bottled water is good but research plastic bottles and you might be more into drinking water out of something else.  Oh and look at the ingredients in SOME bottled water....fucking poison in some cases.   

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Good point on the plastic water bottles, working on weaning away from utilizing them.

#9 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

how about the gallon jugs with a different kind of plastic? are those okay?

#10 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Ryan, i'm no scientist and i have no idea how many times you could theoretically reuse a single-use plastic container before it begins to break down and emit the stuff we're concerned about.  we've switched to glass or ceramic containers for on the go drinks and food storage, so for me there's no need to debate the safety of plastics.  i just don't use 'em unless there's no alternative.  

but i found this, which has been widely re-printed so i don't know the origin...it sums up what i've read elsewhere succinctly, though.  hopefully it's helpful to you.

Plastic water bottles are very convenient for carting water around when we are on the go, as they don't break if we drop them. However, it is worth paying attention to the type of plastic your water bottle is made of, to ensure that the chemicals in the plastic do not leach into the water. If you taste plastic, you are drinking it, so get yourself another bottle. 

To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1, and is only recommended for one time use. Do not refill it. Better to use a reusable water bottle, and fill it with your own filtered water from home and keep these single-use bottles out of the landfill. 

Unfortunately, those fabulous colourful hard plastic lexan bottles made with polycarbonate plastics and identified by the #7 recycling symbol, may leach BPA.
[Thug note: Nalgene also offers a BPA-free #2 plastic version, so check yours before tossing it out.] Bisphenol A is a xenoestrogen, a known endocrine disruptor, meaning it disturbs the hormonal messaging in our bodies. Synthetic xenoestrogens are linked to breast cancer and uterine cancer in women, decreased testosterone levels in men, and are particularly devastating to babies and young children. BPA has even been linked to insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes. For more of the science on the effects of BPA on our endocrine system etc. see these studies: Environmental Health Perspectives Journal. Nalgene, the company that manufactures the lexan water bottles also makes #2 HDPE bottles in the same sizes and shapes, so we have a viable alternative. Order one at Nalgene. 

Unfortunately, most plastic baby bottles and drinking cups are made with plastics containing Bisphenol A. In 2006 Europe banned all products made for children under age 3 containing BPA, and as of Dec. 2006 the city of San Franscisco followed suit. In March 2007 a billion-dollar class action suit was commenced against Gerber, Playtex, Evenflo, Avent, and Dr. Brown's in Los Angeles superior court for harm done to babies caused by drinking out of baby bottles and sippy cups containing BPA. So, to be certain that your baby is not exposed, use glass bottles. 

Check the recycling numbers on all your plastic food containers as well, and gradually move to storing all food in glass or ceramic. 

Store water in glass or brass if possible, and out of direct sunlight.

#11 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Doing good, I've been making it to 4 pm most days before my first soda. I have to do better with evenings.  Also having trouble having just 1. If I have one it's gonna be 2 most of the time.  Parralels are kind of eirie (sp?)

#12 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

yeah i find for me with sugar it's an all or nothing thing.  one makes me want a second, and so on...  

#13 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,704 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

I don't know that I have any specific tips on this particular issue Royal, but I wanted to offer my support and tell you I'm really proud of you and how you're working to become healthier. I've become quite fond of you and I want to see you around as long as possible and feeling good. :smile:

Can you not keep soda in the house? Maybe ask your folks to not have it accessible to you if they keep it on hand. Nights are tough, I have kids to go fetch me a candy bar at the corner store for a loan sharks fee, but I sometimes I pay it. :lol: Usually though I feel so good from my workout during the weeknights that I don't want it nearly as bad as I used to.

#14 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Thanks wit I am quite fond of you too.

Thanks Jennie, that's good information.

#15 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,656 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I don't know if you like citrus style soda but I drink Fresca now instead of my usual cherry coke.  It has not sugar and no caffein.  The bad part is of course it is that way because of the chemicals they put in it.  still better then a cherry coke.

#16 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'm doing well. I dont even know if I like citrus soda.  Might try one and see.  Maybe orange crush but white people except for Pixiebug dont drink that.

Right now I'm at 2 Coke Zeroes a day.  Not good but better than 10.

Yes wit, I am fond of you too, and I hope we can rage my 50th, 60th,  70th and 80th as hard as we did my 40th.

Still need get the iced tea up and brewing.

#17 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Ry, when you get a chance send me your address via PM.  just so happens i work part time at my friend's amazing tea shop :)

#18 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Ryan!! I love Orange soda dude!! We dont drink grape HA