JJ Abrams Directing New Star Wars...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for this franchise after Eps 1-3 and the sale to Disney.
Now the directoral equivalent of P Diddy is taking charge?

I feel the hate flowing through me....

#2 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

Sorry. I didnt see the thread discussing this on page 2.

I still need to be held, rocked and sung to softly though.

#3 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

But really, what's Disney going to be doing with these STAND ALONE films...

Well, to start with they're going to focus on established characters and do solo films, no, not necessarily Han Solo films, but well, fuck it...   The first Stand Alone film is going to center upon YODA.  At this stage specifics are sparse, but Kathleen Kennedy is putting together a STAR WARS slate...  I'm wildly curious for more details on the YODA film - would this be a young or old YODA tale?   

Knowing that Lucasfilm is doing a series of stand alone character features...  I wonder if Joe Johnston has pitched Kennedy his stand alone BOBA FETT film he was talking about after the release of Captain America.   Hmmmmm...   Now, let's chase after YODA details...  Where's FRANK OZ?  Giggle.  Gotta love chasing STAR WARS stories!  Oh - and I've also heard tale of a JABBA story that Lucas has floated to some of his buddies.  But word is YODA is first.

#4 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Help me you will? :panic:

#5 Dagan

Dagan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationThe X-Men Mansion, Hoth, VT

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

So basically Star Wars VII is going to be another prequel about Han Solo?! :crying2:

Episode VIII is going to be a Boba Fett movie?! :picardfp:

And Episode IX is going to be a Yoda film?!!!!!!! :flippy:

Please stop raping my childhood, J J Abrams.

I do aprove of Walter Bishop from Fringe playing Darth Vader, though. :wub:

#6 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

So basically Star Wars VII is going to be another prequel about Han Solo?! :crying2:

Episode VIII is going to be a Boba Fett movie?! :picardfp:

And Episode IX is going to be a Yoda film?!!!!!!! :flippy:

Please stop raping my childhood, J J Abrams.

I do aprove of Walter Bishop from Fringe playing Darth Vader, though. :wub:

As of right now it appears they will be doing a new Trilogy, with a new movie coming out every two years.  However in the other years, they may also be doing these character movies.  The whole idea is similar to what Disney is doing with the Marvel franchise.

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

But really, what's Disney going to be doing with these STAND ALONE films...

Well, to start with they're going to focus on established characters and do solo films, no, not necessarily Han Solo films, but well, fuck it...   The first Stand Alone film is going to center upon YODA.  At this stage specifics are sparse, but Kathleen Kennedy is putting together a STAR WARS slate...  I'm wildly curious for more details on the YODA film - would this be a young or old YODA tale?   

Knowing that Lucasfilm is doing a series of stand alone character features...  I wonder if Joe Johnston has pitched Kennedy his stand alone BOBA FETT film he was talking about after the release of Captain America.   Hmmmmm...   Now, let's chase after YODA details...  Where's FRANK OZ?  Giggle.  Gotta love chasing STAR WARS stories!  Oh - and I've also heard tale of a JABBA story that Lucas has floated to some of his buddies.  But word is YODA is first.

What is this the Movie version of the Comic book series Origins?

#8 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

They should just make these movies from the Zahn books, The Thrawn Trilogy. it's 5 years after Return, and the closest thing to a VII, VIII and IX you can get.

gimme some Mara Jade on the big screen.

#9 Dagan

Dagan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yeah was just thinking about that this morning. How about they cast Evangeline Lilly from LOST as Mara Jade. That would be incredibly awesome.

#10 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

They should just make these movies from the Zahn books, The Thrawn Trilogy. it's 5 years after Return, and the closest thing to a VII, VIII and IX you can get.

gimme some Mara Jade on the big screen.

They wouldn't be able to use the original cast then (although I'm not sure that's a sticking point)  Its been 30 years since the release of Return of the Jedi.

I don't think they're using Zahn's books, otherwise he'd be some sort of consultant on the movies.

#11 Dagan

Dagan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Zahn is Tony Stark... ZAAAAAAAAAAAAHN! ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

#12 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Soon there may be more Star Wars movies than there are black holes near Kessel.

On Feb. 5, Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed what the company had already suggested back when it acquired Lucasfilm for $4.3 billion in October: that there will be more Star Wars movies than just Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, and these will be films that'll focus on George Lucas' beloved characters beyond the Skywalker family.

Today, an unnamed source told EW that Lucasfilm is planning standalone movies about Boba Fett and the early days of Han Solo, respectively. The Boba Fett movie doesn't come as a shock, considering how beloved he is among the fans, but the Solo rumor is surprising given that it would require Lucasfilm to recast Harrison Ford's iconic role and also that the studio has been reluctant to explore younger versions of the character. He was originally slated to appear as a 10-year-old in Revenge of the Sith, but that idea was nixed. Nor has he ever appeared on The Clone Wars TV series. Also, by default a "Young Han Solo" movie would be a prequel, and, well, we know some fans have strong feelings about anything related to that word.

#13 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Well, it seems we have our first idea of what one of those non-trilogy projects will look like. Vulture reports that Disney and Lucasfilm have hired 300 and Man of Steel director Zack Snyder to develop and possibly direct a one-off movie running "parallel" to the new trilogy. The film is said to be loosely based on Akira Kurosawa's classic tale of noble warriors defending helpless peasants against marauding bandits, Seven Samurai. It's unclear at what point in the timeline this would take place, but it makes sense that it might tangentially involve elements of Episode VII and is expected to be released after that first film.

The influence of Kurosawa on the Star Wars franchise has always been very apparent. Series creator George Lucas himself acknowledges that elements of Kurosawa's 1958 actioner The Hidden Fortress inspired the original Episode IV—A New Hope. Not to mention that the concept of the Jedi, that Galaxy Far, Far Away's monastic order of peacekeepers with awesome abilities, is based on the samurai and the Bushido code. ZachS_620_011413.jpgThe nods are everywhere, from their lightsabers and Japanese-inflected fighting style to their very name: the genre of medieval-set swordplay films of which Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress are a part was called "Jidaigeki." Lucas returned the favor by producing Kurosawa's 1980 epic, Kagemusha.

In fact, an episode from Star Wars: The Clone Wars' second season, in which a peasant village hires bounty hunters to defend against pirates, was a direct homage to Seven Samurai in celebration of the centennial of Kurosawa's birth.

#14 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

They wouldn't be able to use the original cast then (although I'm not sure that's a sticking point)  Its been 30 years since the release of Return of the Jedi.

I don't think they're using Zahn's books, otherwise he'd be some sort of consultant on the movies.

true and true.  I just love that story.  I may have to break out the books again for another read.

I don't really care about original cast, myself. I just want to see good stories and good movies.  For me, Thrawn is the best chance

#15 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

true and true.  I just love that story.  I may have to break out the books again for another read.

I don't really care about original cast, myself. I just want to see good stories and good movies.  For me, Thrawn is the best chance

Agreed.

#16 Dagan

Dagan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO THATS NOT TRUE!!!! STAR WARS: THREE HUNDRED!!!

Fuck. That.

:picardfp:

#17 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Harrison Ford Returning As Han Solo?
pixel.gif
Posted By Chris on February 15, 2013

A website called Latino-Review.com has just reported to Fox News Latino that Harrison Ford will officially be reprising his role as Han Solo in an upcoming Star Wars film. Check out the video posted here at the 6:25 mark to hear the details about Ford's role. While there is no real proof provided to back this up, the website does have a track record for breaking stories accurately.

Of course, nothing is official until it comes from Lucasfilm Ltd./Disney, but this news comes as a welcomed confirmation if true. Fans have largely speculated that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and even Ian McDiarmid would be reprising their roles after George Lucas met with them back in August of last year to discuss the new films. Having Harrison return as Han would only make sense if the other cast members signed on. EW.com reported that Harrison was open to returning to the role back in November of 2012.

#18 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

But....J J Abrams??
He's an overhyped twerp.
Put David Towhy or Luc Besson behind that camera.

#19 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I wonder who will take over the Star Trek franchise after the movie coming out in May now...No way JJ can manage both at the same time.

#20 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

431875_10151693013747526_1166346967_n.jp