Almost Like Backpacking thru Mexico!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

We're at it again.   The 2013 manly man backpack trip into Harramin park this weekend.     This time, 8 of us.   Mexican Food is the theme of the foodfest.    I just got done with the kitchen prep. 

Here's the food plan:

-Nachos with a chili/cheese sauce.

-Quesadillas

-Burritos with the following fillings: Shredded Mexican chicken, Chili, Homemade Refried beans, Mexican Rice...Lettuce/Tomato/onionQuacamole/sour cream

-Fajitas (Flank Steaks marinating in a beer/lime marinade)

8 guys, Food for 20.  LOL. 

Temps should be around 23 for the hike in, with an overnight low of 10 degrees. 

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Brrr, although it should be quite toasty inside those sleeping bags after dinner!

#3 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Brrr, although it should be quite toasty inside those sleeping bags after dinner!

in other words lots of farts

#4 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Brrr, although it should be quite toasty stinky inside those sleeping bags after dinner!

Fixed that for you based on the menu reported above :)

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Careful with that dutch oven, Eddie Z.

#6 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

lunatic. :lol:

#7 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,807 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Pack extra hot peppers you're going to need them.

#8 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Believe me, these guys don't need Mexican food to become gaseous.    It's always like the campfire scene from the old movie "Blazing Saddles". 

But with all those cold weather clothes on, you experience "Chimney Effect".     Whatever might sneak out your ass, inevitably wafts up past the front of your neck before it can escape..    My own big nose becomes a bit of a hood vent. 

You're on point though...those sleeping bags will definately need a good airing out after this.  ;-)

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

:lol:

Hope you have a great hike.

#10 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,710 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

You got alot more balls than I got.

Single digit temps.  BRRRRRR!!  :shocked:

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Im cold enough sleeping in my apartment, and you guys are roughing it!  Have fun!  :lol:

#12 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Just got back.    What a trip.    Total of 7 of us, since one guy backed out.     Business as usual on all fronts really.     We got to the trailhead at about 11am saturday, got to the campsite around 12ish.    Had to wait for a couple of large groups to surrender the firepit/campsite to us, but the eventually wandered off.    We lucked out, a really nice oak tree fell practically right at our campsite, so we had an abundant supply of firewood courtesy of Sandy.     Raging fire all night.

The Mexican fest proceeded pretty well, all of which was heated in a wok.        chile/cheese sauce for nachos.     Then Chicken quesadillas, then Chili quesadillas.     Then Beef Fajitas.        In the morning, everyone had huuuuge Burritos with all the fixin's.    All it all, it came off pretty well, but to adapt it all to a single wok and a campfire was challenging. 

Daytime high was 23, and the nightime low was 10 degrees.  In the morning, it snowed inside my tent from the frozen condensation.    I was pretty comfortable all night, except for the damned bump I set my tent up on.       To keep our water bottles from freezing, they had to be kept in the sleeping bags.    Till they reached body temperature, it was like sleeping with a cold rock.       The cold water bottles condensated a little inside the sleeping bag, so had to deal with that too.     

I've got some pretty chapped lips right now.    Yikes.  

Fun stuff.    I'm already thinking about the food theme for next year.    Probably Mediterrainian...

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Wow, sounds exhilarating!

#14 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

What campsite? What trail? I use to backpack around Harramin a lot when I was younger.

#15 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

What campsite? What trail? I use to backpack around Harramin a lot when I was younger.

me too - I grew up right outside of Harriman & have hiked/camped almost every inch! I'm wondering the same thing

#16 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,719 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

um sounds fun I guess.  

#17 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

We start from a small parking lot behind the Tuxedo park train station.   We cross under the highway and take the Ramapo Dunderburg Trail to the Tuxedo-Mt Ivy trail.     We end up at Cladius Smith Den.    Not a very long hike.   About a mile and a half.   But it's all uphill going in, and we have some super heavy packs.