• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

New Mexico lawmaker defends bill from claims it outlaws all abortions after rape

A New Mexico state legislator is under fire for a proposal critics say could lead to felony charges against rape victims seeking an abortion, but the legislator maintains the measure is being misrepresented.

Rep. Cathrynn Brown, a Republican from Carlsbad, said Thursday she will revise the bill, which she said was intended to target perpetrators of rape or incest who try to cover their tracks by forcing their victims to have abortions.

The bill's language states that the crime "shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime." 

Although the clause regarding intent would seem to preclude rape victims from being charged, several critics read the bill as possibly including them. Brown said she will clarify the language to remove any ambiguity.

New Mexico's Democratic Party chairman calls it an "atrocious piece of legislation."

Brown is an attorney who sits on the state Legislature's Judiciary Committee. She was not immediately available when contacted Thursday by FoxNews.com. 

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2IzxcvasO

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Has there ever been a documented case of a woman having an abortion in order to protect someone from charges of having raped her? Ever?

I'm torn on abortion. It's tragic to me that it happens as much as it does.

But this sounds like someone covering her tracks because she thought she was being clever and got served.

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Has there ever been a documented case of a woman having an abortion in order to protect someone from charges of having raped her? Ever?

But this sounds like someone covering her tracks because she thought she was being clever and got served.

This.

#4 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I was listening to a speaker from some sort of 40th anniversay rally in DC saying that they intend to put an end to legal abortion.

And I thought, they are right, they will try to end legal abortion.  But not abortion.

I truly believe that abortion should be safe, legal and rare.

#5 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Pope tweets support for Washington anti-abortion rally

This is happening today:

'March For Life' Rally Expected To Draw Huge Crowd In Washington

"The March for Life march is traditionally held on Jan. 22 — the anniversary of Roe v. Wade — but this year, the 57th presidential inauguration caused the National Park Service to schedule the march to occur on Jan. 25. ...

"On Friday morning, a youth rally is expected to host about 18,000 demonstrators in the Verizon Center, according to the Archdiocese of Washington. Groups will join the demonstration on the National Mall at noon for a second rally prior to the march. During this portion, marchers hear from speakers, congressional leaders and anti-abortion advocates. ...

"At about 1:30 p.m., the march departs, proceeding north on Constitution Avenue until it passes the Supreme Court on Capitol Hill, where the marchers disband."

#6 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

http://www.addicting...ess-cost-money/

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Will we ever move on passed the same old issues in washington?

I, like others, am torn on abortion. It seems there is no right answer, so I leave it to the doctor/patient. Politicians and their sycophants need to try to stay focused it seems. It's unproductive and wasteful to continue battling over issues that can never be solved. Especially by passing some stupid legislation.

#8 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I, like others, am torn on abortion. It seems there is no right answer, so I leave it to the doctor/patient. Politicians and their sycophants need to try to stay focused it seems. It's unproductive and wasteful to continue battling over issues that can never be solved. Especially by passing some stupid legislation.

No.

Agreed.

#9 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

And that is all that we've been asking for.

I believe this could be twice in one week I've agreed with you 100%!

hell_frozen_over.jpg

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

We probably agree a lot more than it seems.

#11 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,995 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

not too familiar with the bill and may be wrong about its intent, but to answer this question: some claim that when those who commit incest (and molest people they know) unintentionally get them pregnant, they can take those they have abused to destroy the evidence.

#12 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,995 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

New Mexico lawmaker defends bill from claims it outlaws all abortions after rape

A New Mexico state legislator is under fire for a proposal critics say could lead to felony charges against rape victims seeking an abortion, but the legislator maintains the measure is being misrepresented.

Rep. Cathrynn Brown, a Republican from Carlsbad, said Thursday she will revise the bill, which she said was intended to target perpetrators of rape or incest who try to cover their tracks by forcing their victims to have abortions.

The bill's language states that the crime "shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime." 

Although the clause regarding intent would seem to preclude rape victims from being charged, several critics read the bill as possibly including them. Brown said she will clarify the language to remove any ambiguity.

New Mexico's Democratic Party chairman calls it an "atrocious piece of legislation."

Brown is an attorney who sits on the state Legislature's Judiciary Committee. She was not immediately available when contacted Thursday by FoxNews.com. 

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2IzxcvasO

"coercing another to obtain an abortion of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime."

well, this should certainly be illegal and punishable by law but I don;t know about the rest of it

#13 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

"coercing another to obtain an abortion of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime."

well, this should certainly be illegal and punishable by law but I don;t know about the rest of it

Wholeheartedly agree...

#14 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

We probably agree a lot more than it seems.

Yeah, I believe we do.  Sometimes we're at odds on some controversial topics, and it can get a little tense, but I'd like to be sure I'm on record saying I really do respect you highly.  Hell, you're the guy that got me to investigate Libertarianism.  I don't like it much :funny1:, but respect to you for motivating me to learn more.

I thought I should mention it.  Have a good weekend!

#15 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

:heart: