#1 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

First of a three part series

AP IMPACT: Recession, tech kill middle-class jobs

NEW YORK (AP) — Five years after the start of the Great Recession, the toll is terrifyingly clear: Millions of middle-class jobs have been lost in developed countries the world over.

And the situation is even worse than it appears.

Most of the jobs will never return, and millions more are likely to vanish as well, say experts who study the labor market. What's more, these jobs aren't just being lost to China and other developing countries, and they aren't just factory work. Increasingly, jobs are disappearing in the service sector, home to two-thirds of all workers.

They're being obliterated by technology.

[...]

—Technology is being adopted by every kind of organization that employs people. It's replacing workers in large corporations and small businesses, established companies and start-ups. It's being used by schools, colleges and universities; hospitals and other medical facilities; nonprofit organizations and the military.

[...]

—Start-ups account for much of the job growth in developed economies, but software is allowing entrepreneurs to launch businesses with a third fewer employees than in the 1990s. There is less need for administrative support and back-office jobs that handle accounting, payroll and benefits.

[...]

—Technology is replacing workers in developed countries regardless of their politics, policies and laws. Union rules and labor laws may slow the dismissal of employees, but no country is attempting to prohibit organizations from using technology that allows them to operate more efficiently — and with fewer employees.

But to the extent technology has played a role, it raises the specter of high unemployment even after economic growth accelerates. Some economists say millions of middle-class workers must be retrained to do other jobs if they hope to get work again. Others are more hopeful. They note that technological change over the centuries eventually has created more jobs than it destroyed, though the wait can be long and painful.

A common refrain: The developed world may face years of high middle-class unemployment, social discord, divisive politics, falling living standards and dashed hopes.

[...]

http://apne.ws/VZbpiQ

#2 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Adapt...get training in some form of technology.

One has to change skills set to survive.

#3 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

More money more profits more money more profits more money more profits more money more profits more money more profits

I believe we are entering a second "guilded age" where profits are hoarded by businesses.

#4 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

"obliterated by technology"

fine by me. computers should take over. plug me into the matrix. i'm ready.

cypher.jpg

#5 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Eventually all  specialized and "middle class"  jobs (doctors, lawyers, chefs, accountants, plumbers, carpenters, etc.) will no longher be peformed by humans.

This will most likely create new fields or centralize one or two key fields.  Programmers, systems architects, and data analysts probably will be need to develop and maintain such human replacing systems.

Of course there will be a need for psychologists to deal with the absence of humanity in daily operations.

#6 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,036 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

counselor, nurse, teacher, dental hygienist, hair dresser, farmer, auto mechanic, cop, fireman/woman,  plumber, carpenter.. lots of professions. gonna need to go to school and learn a skill

#7 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

counselor, nurse, teacher, dental hygienist, hair dresser, farmer, auto mechanic, cop, fireman/woman,  plumber, carpenter.. lots of professions. gonna need to go to school and learn a skill

All those jobs will be done by A.L.I.C.E units (automated Logistic Intelligence central enterprise) :)

Curriculum in schools will be focused of maintaining and developing advance versions alice.

#8 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

In before P&R move.

:coffee:

#9 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Blade-Runner_6985_16.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_C

DAFUQ?    Time.... to....  Die.

#10 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,730 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Kinda scary when you look at it in that perspective DF.

#11 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

as efficiency increases and productivity increases and less and less people are required to get the same results, at some point it has to pass a tipping point where there are more people than work to do, how many more things can we really invent for people to do? I would imagine that a shift in the way we value and compensate people would eventually have to come about. if all the work of surviving and thriving as a species and maintaining our social constructs and all of that isn't enough to ensure that nearly all the people are occupied with some kind of work, what exactly do we all do and how do we ensure people are still provided for?

#12 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

who does all these jobs when the power goes out?

#13 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

camel_power.jpg

#14 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

recession?  no.  depression?  yes.  it's about time people accept what happened and where we are.

#15 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

recession? no. depression? yes. it's about time people accept what happened and where we are.

Yep.

I feel quite fucked right now, personally. Im sure im better off than others out there, but it certainly doesnt feel like it. (sadface)

#16 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

who does all these jobs when the power goes out?

The disaster recoveryy/failover systems will compensate for the power loss. These systems will run on bioelectricity.

Yeah, I live in the sci-fi world :)

#17 chefjeff

chefjeff
  • VibeTribe
  • 700 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

A computer cannot put love into food. Just sayin :)

Cake!

Chefjeff

#18 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

What's love got to do with it?

#19 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

For that matter, what's love, but a second-hand emotion?

#20 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

i hope y'all shant be forgettin the WM gloryhole.

salvation for thee.

#21 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

WM gloryhole.

?????

recyclebin.jpg

#22 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

wally-world-ladies_design.png

#23 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

?????

recyclebin.jpg

I think maybe?

I had never heard the WM abbreviation before:

"I'll give them 5% of the blame to humor you.

Hmmm.... once WM has driven out all the competition, where the hell are people supposed to work?  Unless they have the means to relocate, which would pretty much mean they weren't going to work for WM to begin with.

Nobody ITT is any more one sided than you, friend. "

#24 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

So, how do I get one of these high-end, not technology jobs?

#25 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

ability, experience, education, skills are over-rated and outdated.

it all comes down to bullshitting, flirting and lying.

#26 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

i thought it all comes down to who you know?

#27 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I think maybe?

I had never heard the WM abbreviation before:

:lol:  I see why you were confused.  If you're looking for the Walmart one, I can't help, but I'll bet this guys knows:

288.jpg

#28 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Cake!

Chefjeff

ha. told you guys.

#29 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yep.

I feel quite fucked right now, personally. Im sure im better off than others out there, but it certainly doesnt feel like it. (sadface)

water.jpg