Photo
- - - - -

62-Year-Old With Gun Only One Standing Between Nation And Full-Scale Government Takeover

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

http://www.theonion....en-natio,30984/

NORFOLK, VA—According to numerous reports, local 62-year-old Earl Bailey, who owns a shotgun and several boxes of ammunition, is currently the last bastion of defense between the United States of America and the federal government’s plot of a full-scale takeover.

Bailey, a recent retiree and a proud advocate of gun rights, has been confirmed by multiple sources as being a true patriot, and is, at present, the only person capable of preventing top-secret forces within the government from striking and forcefully coercing hundreds of millions of Americans to submit to a fascist and brutal New World Order.

Since the early 1990s, sources estimated the gun owner has staved off innumerable large-scale government threats, all from the center of his 12-acre ranch.

“It is every American’s right to be good and armed, and that’s a right that should always be protected,” said Bailey, now the sole American protecting the nation from the government’s hidden plot of disarming all citizens, gradually gaining control of the mass media, and installing martial law throughout the nation’s streets. “Our Founding Fathers intended for each and every one of us to protect ourselves from tyranny. That’s what America is all about.”

“What happens when the feds show up at your front door and start telling you how much meat you can eat or how to raise your kids?” continued the lifetime NRA member, brandishing the very weapon that now serves as the final hope of staving off a totalitarian state. “Is that the future you want?”

Bailey, who keeps his gun on his person at all times and regularly patrols his property in his truck, has reportedly struck dread into the very highest-ranking members of the U.S. government. According to sources, top government and military officials are fully aware that they remain unable to commence with their oppressive, systematic subjugation of the American populace as long as the 62-year-old owner of a rifle exists.

Additional reports confirmed that Bailey’s frequent practice of shooting his gun at empty bean cans in his backyard has repeatedly forced government officials to reassess both their ground and air strategies for the impending takeover.

“The way I see it, the Second Amendment’s been keeping this nation free and secure for well over 200 years,” Bailey said, valiantly standing in front of his home that is constantly being monitored by CIA agents and elite Special Forces operatives, who are told to maintain a safe distance from the formidable 62-year-old. “First they’ll come for our guns and next…well, shoot, I don’t really plan on ever seeing what the hell happens next.”

While the federal government is more than adequately prepared to begin the first phase of its plan of convoying Second Amendment adherents to newly established FEMA concentration camps, high-level members of the Obama Administration involved in the widespread conspiracy confirmed that they have been forced to resort to alternate methods due solely to Bailey’s heroics.

“As long as there’s someone like Earl out there with a gun and ammunition, we are unable to carry out our attack on America,” said Maxwell Caufield, a covert military leader in charge of the operation to turn the country into an authoritarian, one-party state wherein the basic rights of citizens are stripped away in order to create total government control. “Try as we did to spread our distorted gun control propaganda—claiming that it would protect innocent people across the country from needless deaths—the man just wouldn’t bite. There is simply nothing we can do about Earl and his gun, damn him.”

“You’ve got to hand it to him, really,” Caufield added. “If it weren’t for Earl, you’d be looking at a totally different country.”

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Pretty good satire. But I think that this argument of one man vs. the federal leviatan is hilarious. That's not how any revolt happens. Lets take a look a syria or any other place where "rebels" (we'll save the facts regarding syria since it only muddles the case) are fighting an oppressive regime. As it turns out, our government is arming these folks. Why?

Is it because one lonely man on his ranch is the deciding factor between tyranny and freedom in Syria? Absolutely not. People band together with the common goal of removing Assad and his "forces". The same would be true in the event the American people have had enough of federal encroachment. Sure, some will like to aid tyranny against others. The same was true in the american revolution. The colonies were split between those who believed we were better off under the crown and those who wanted freedom.

#3 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

it is satire .. but i think your definition of oppression and the syrian's definition of oppression are probably different.

it's scarier for me that rational educated people give in to fear mongering and hoard firearms in case they have to shoot their neighbors for their food supply instead of trying to work in an already democratic system to create peace and prosperity for everyone. Creating communities that are strong will create the change we want, no? factioning of our society and spreading made up govt conspiracies will divide us and create fighting from within, so that we can't get together and fix our problems .. create peace, create prosperity, promote health, well being and education.

#4 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

it is satire .. but i think your definition of oppression and the syrian's definition of oppression are probably different.

it's scarier for me that rational educated people give in to fear mongering and hoard firearms in case they have to shoot their neighbors for their food supply instead of trying to work in an already democratic system to create peace and prosperity for everyone. Creating communities that are strong will create the change we want, no? factioning of our society and spreading made up govt conspiracies will divide us and create fighting from within, so that we can't get together and fix our problems .. create peace, create prosperity, promote health, well being and education.

The use of the shootings at Newtown to further the gun control agenda is the very definition of fear mongering.

And speaking of fear mongering, who are these rational educated people who are "hoarding firearms in case they have to shoot their neighbors for their food supply?" 

#5 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I was going to comment that her perception of firearm owners is a bit misguided as that only applies to a very very small minority.  But, I figured I'd stay out of this one.

#6 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Also, I don't think any sane person doesn't want peace, prosperity, health, well being and education.

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm sure you are right. But again, why do you think the US federal government is arming these "rebels"? Is it because that is how you can defend yourself? Or is it to help them overthrow Assad? Both? The point of course being that arming a foreign rebelllion while telling American people they need stricter gun control is an epic display of hypocracy.

#8 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I don't think everyone with a firearm is dangerous and wants to shoot their neighbors, but like the anti-gun folks, the ones that scream the loudest on this issue are the nuts, not the average gun user. I also don't think we should ban all firearms like they do in Canada and England (we know what tyrannical states those are). I know plenty of responsible gun owners and I see no reason to take away their guns. Sportsmen and hunters .. etc.

The shooting in Newtown prompted many people to scream and yell the the govt was not doing enough to curb gun violence. 13 years after columbine our children are still getting shot in school, in malls and in theaters.  Parents and other concerned citizens are the ones who criticized the govt for not doing enough, and this time, as in every other time there has been a school or public shooting, the NRA has tried to stopped clear measures to curb gun violence in schools and other public places.

no fear mongering from the govt required. ;)

#9 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'm sure you are right. But again, why do you think the US federal government is arming these "rebels"? Is it because that is how you can defend yourself? Or is it to help them overthrow Assad? Both? The point of course being that arming a foreign rebelllion while telling American people they need stricter gun control is an epic display of hypocracy.

i have yet to see the american govt torture students for graffiti or send tanks to any town and bomb unarmed people. am i missing something?

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Well, that didn't answer my question. It's also the entire point. Just because it isn't happening NOW, doesn't mean it can not. And being a Eagle Scout, the one thing I learned was to be prepared. Should we go ahead and let them take arms away from law abiding citizens so only the criminals and govt. have them (even the scary looking ones labeled "assault")?

That's the whole point. The shit about abuses (some untrue, the US has both tortured and assassinated children, including American ones) is curbed by the fact that there are a lot of armed people in America. It's not so easy when they have to fear us, where Assad has very little to fear from his unarmed citizens. Who are now being delivered "Assault rifles" from our own government.

The epcot hypocracy is epcot.

I did enjoy the satire of the Onion's story though.

#11 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Are we living under tyranny? No.

Are we seeing freedom and "democracy" eroded in this country at an arguably quickening pace? Yes

USAPATRIOT Act

NDAA

Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act

Bennis v. Michigan

Muehler v Mena

Raich v. Gonzales

Kelo v New Haven

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission

#12 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Well, that didn't answer my question. It's also the entire point. Just because it isn't happening NOW, doesn't mean it can not.

i'm just going to say .. this is fear mongering ... ANYTHING can happen .. the sky can fall, oxygen can dry up, apples can turn to prunes .. this train of thought is the exact fear mongering i'm talking about. Historically speaking, syria was never a true democratic state, it's been run by kings, dynasties and military leaders pretty much forever. i just don't see the comparison.  America 'helps' a lot of oppressed people because we believe in democratic states. I don't think we are 100% benevolent and clean of all personal gain measures, by any means, but this has been our history for a while now.

#13 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Are we living under tyranny? No.

Are we seeing freedom and "democracy" eroded in this country at an arguably quickening pace? Yes

USAPATRIOT Act

NDAA

Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act

Bennis v. Michigan

Muehler v Mena

Raich v. Gonzales

Kelo v New Haven

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission

which hunts, nazi hunts, cold war accusations, communists hunts, terrorist hunts .. still, no bombing of towns, occupy folks didn't get sent to concentration camps .. i think we have a chance to stil work with our system.

#14 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Wonder what Japanese Americans have to say on this subject?

#15 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

i'm just going to say .. this is fear mongering ... ANYTHING can happen .. the sky can fall, oxygen can dry up, apples can turn to prunes .. this train of thought is the exact fear mongering i'm talking about. Historically speaking, syria was never a true democratic state, it's been run by kings, dynasties and military leaders pretty much forever. i just don't see the comparison.  America 'helps' a lot of oppressed people because we believe in democratic states. I don't think we are 100% benevolent and clean of all personal gain measures, by any means, but this has been our history for a while now.

Yep, so be prepared. Being prepared is not fearmongering.

#16 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

which hunts, nazi hunts, cold war accusations, communists hunts, terrorist hunts .. still, no bombing of towns, occupy folks didn't get sent to concentration camps .. i think we have a chance to stil work with our system.

Firstly, everything I listed above diminishes freedom, or sets a precedent for doing so, in a much broader way than any one group being targeted. We don't have to be Syria to be in ever-growing trouble.

That said, I sure hope there's a way to fix things within the system, but I think it would be very unwise to assume that that's a given, and to relinquish the last ditch means we have of trying to preserve freedom if all else fails.

#17 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Decries fear mongering while engaging in fear mongering   :picardfp:

#18 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Fearmongering is the media and the statist zealots trying to warp the reality of gun owners as all a bunch of crazy hoarder doomsday lunatics. THAT is fearmongering. When you couple that sentiment while standing on a pile of dead children to push a legislative agenda (see Cuomo), there is a strong tendency in me to see a lack of empathy/compassion.

Which as it turns out, is one of many displayed characteristics of the professional psychopath.

#19 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

This.

#20 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Wonder what Japanese Americans have to say on this subject?

It's not like our government ever tore them from their houses and forced them into concentration camps  :bang:

#21 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

and wonder what those at ruby ridge,  the 23 children lost in waco massacre, kent state, and native americans might lend to this discussion.

#22 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

White supremacists, religious nuts, hippies and savages. They don't count.

#23 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

i don't see anyone in concentration camps in this day and age, do you? did you get arrested and sent to a reeducation camp for occupying? if these things were all leading up to a tyrannical govt, wouldn't they still be in place today? I mean, if it's working why abandon them?

explain please?

#24 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Fearmongering is the media and the statist zealots trying to warp the reality of gun owners as all a bunch of crazy hoarder doomsday lunatics. THAT is fearmongering. When you couple that sentiment while standing on a pile of dead children to push a legislative agenda (see Cuomo), there is a strong tendency in me to see a lack of empathy/compassion.

Which as it turns out, is one of many displayed characteristics of the professional psychopath.

i'm actually talking about people I know who have been posting all sort of conspiracy theories from conspiracy theory websites and stating they want a war, not articles in the news. plus the preppers are an interesting bunch.

and again, it was american people who wanted stricter gun laws, who complained that the govt was doing nothing while people were being shot randomly all over america.

#25 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

and wonder what those at ruby ridge,  the 23 children lost in waco massacre, kent state, and native americans might lend to this discussion.

children were being sexually abused in waco and the govt tried to serve a search warrant to investigate, but instead were refused entry. should we have just left those kids in there to be sex toys?

i know all about what the govt did to natives, and all about slavery etc. are we talking about a collective history of poor choices that have been addressed or gun control?

#26 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I'm not saying that abuse didn't happen at Mt. Carmel. I don't know.

Here's one point of view about the allegations:

http://www.davekopel...ts/wachroni.htm

But the warrant that preceded the siege and subsequent deaths was about possible violations of firearms law, not about abused children...

#27 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

A fair amount of this thread has involved discussing "oppression," and increasing abuses of government power.

Strikes me as reasonable to include in the conversation, as some of us hold the position that the rationale for being against some of the elements of gun control being bandied at the national level is a possible future need to be able to own certain types of firearms as a last line in the sand against the loss of freedom, while others seem to be stating that tyranny could never happen here.

#28 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

children were being sexually abused in waco and the govt tried to serve a search warrant to investigate, but instead were refused entry. should we have just left those kids in there to be sex toys?

i know all about what the govt did to natives, and all about slavery etc. are we talking about a collective history of poor choices that have been addressed or gun control?

I was responding to this:

"i have yet to see the american govt torture students for graffiti or send tanks to any town and bomb unarmed people. am i missing something?"

#29 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Wasn't Moose (former boardie) contacted and approached by FBI and another agency for his role in Occupy?

#30 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Last point:

The facts are: more people die at the hands of their govt than foreign enemies. History has given all too many examples of this. I am still at a loss as to why people believe that only occurs "over there" and refuse to consider the possibility of it "right here." 

My issue  with gun control advocacy is the, sometimes, knee jerk emotional reaction that prompts it (yep, been known to do it myself). And then a govt that runs with this to either appease advocates, or worse, use these situations (and others, think terror threat "high" = orange) to erode personal liberties. Will banning assault weapons and certain guns make a significant difference in murder rates? It's handguns that kill most people, isn't it? edit:  I honestly, don't even know what exactly an "assault weapon" is. Why is something classified assault weapon? Do those advocating bans know? Do they know the crime rates of each type of weapon used? Probably not, I'd gather, but they're clamoring for bans anyway. Should no one have a gun? What exactly would people like to see happen? And, based on what justification?

Modest regulations? all for it, but bans on this (but not that)....and ridiculous legislation that does absolutely nothing to curb crime rates.... well, that just seems dumb to me.

watching this now:

Common sense police officer:

http://www.youtube.c...v=vbIIjIFKYYg#!

just realized that every post I make arguing guns is a post I'm not making trying to create more love. I don't even care about guns. I'll try to keep an eye on govt as they encroach on personal freedoms, as it is our responsibility as citizens to do so.... and, well,  jus' try to do more good for now, with the freedom I have to do it.

(though, it won't be feeding the homeless in public parks, I'll get a fine for that :lol: )

#31 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

It's satire.. You progun folks sure are having some fun discussions.... Geez.

#32 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi T. Just to point out, I: it was acknowledged as satire by the first responder and LF then both proceeded to move the discussion to a more serious debate, thus... a serious debate ensued

Everyone have an awesome day. First day of classes for me - gonna wear my NRA t-shirt to school. :lol:

#33 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

tomorrow I'll wear my "Impeach Obama" shirt :lol:

#34 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

"Fuck Monsanto" on Monday

#35 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

"Operation Rescue" on Tuesday :lol: :lol:

#36 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

"Jesus Died for Your Sins" on Wednesday

#37 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

"Stop the NWO" on Thursday

#38 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

And next Friday's pick: :lol:

T-FEMAcamp.gif

#39 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Was just comin' back in to say that the satire was posted in P&R, by someone who has commmented on the instability of some gun owners, with no smilies or other notation indicating that it was purely for fun - thus making it understandable that a discussion ensued.

#40 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

LOL cc!

Yer gonna be popular in the ol' faculty lounge.

#41 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Here's what I'm wearing this weekend.

a-cure-for-tourettes-t-shirt.jpg

#42 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

:lol:

#43 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

The facts are: more people die at the hands of their govt than foreign enemies. History has given all too many examples of this. I am still at a loss as to why people believe that only occurs "over there" and refuse to consider the possibility of it "right here." 

My issue  with gun control advocacy is the, sometimes, knee jerk emotional reaction that prompts it (yep, been known to do it myself). And then a govt that runs with this to either appease advocates, or worse, use these situations (and others, think terror threat "high" = orange) to erode personal liberties. Will banning assault weapons and certain guns make a significant difference in murder rates? It's handguns that kill most people, isn't it? edit:  I honestly, don't even know what exactly an "assault weapon" is. Why is something classified assault weapon? Do those advocating bans know? Do they know the crime rates of each type of weapon used? Probably not, I'd gather, but they're clamoring for bans anyway. Should no one have a gun? What exactly would people like to see happen? And, based on what justification?

Modest regulations? all for it, but bans on this (but not that)....and ridiculous legislation that does absolutely nothing to curb crime rates.... well, that just seems dumb to me.

http://www.fbi.gov/a.../10shrtbl08.xls

Handguns - 6009
Blades - 1704
Other weapons - 874
Hands/feet - 745
Blunt objects - 540
Shotguns - 373
Rifles - 358 (about 10% of these were semi-auto)

More facts:
Although there is no proven causality, in the past 20 years, while legal gun ownership has skyrocketed, violent crime has decreased by about 50%. In "must-issue" concealed weapon permit (CWP) states, like Virginia, gun violence has decreased since the passage of "must-issue".

Acording to the FBI, about 80% of crime (including murder) is committed by gang members.
There were over 1,000,000 gang members in 20,000 gangs (including certain MCs) at the end of 2010. Those numbers have increased (by FBI estimate) over 15% in the last two years. 

Now, none of the above facts has direct bearing on stopping psycho-killers from destroying children, but they do imply that banning law-abiding citizens from possessing semi-auto rifles will have little effect on overall violent crime, except, perhaps, to embolden violent criminals.

#44 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Uncle C!  Nice to see you back. 

#45 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

http://www.fbi.gov/a.../10shrtbl08.xls

Handguns - 6009
Blades - 1704
Other weapons - 874
Hands/feet - 745
Blunt objects - 540
Shotguns - 373
Rifles - 358 (about 10% of these were semi-auto)

More facts:
Although there is no proven causality, in the past 20 years, while legal gun ownership has skyrocketed, violent crime has decreased by about 50%. In "must-issue" concealed weapon permit (CWP) states, like Virginia, gun violence has decreased since the passage of "must-issue".

Acording to the FBI, about 80% of crime (including murder) is committed by gang members.
There were over 1,000,000 gang members in 20,000 gangs (including certain MCs) at the end of 2010. Those numbers have increased (by FBI estimate) over 15% in the last two years. 

Now, none of the above facts has direct bearing on stopping psycho-killers from destroying children, but they do imply that banning law-abiding citizens from possessing semi-auto rifles will have little effect on overall violent crime, except, perhaps, to embolden violent criminals.

uc!!!!!! missed you!!! please stay. :)

yep, as you've stated, seems instituting U.K.'s ban on cutlery makes more sense :lol:

and, it makes no sense.

#46 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

UC!! Glad to see ya here.

CC, making sense is not part of politics today. It's all just feel good reactions. Results dont matter, while doing something is of the utmost importance.

Like economists saying that it doesn't matter what we do as long as we stimulate. Have unemployed dig holes and fill them in, plan for a fake alien invasion, etc...

It's like everyone is taking crazy pills these days.

mugatu.jpg

#47 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Smoke and mirrors

#48 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

As a flip of the coin on this satire....

http://reason.com/ar...-fear-mongering

Look Who’s Mocking Fascist Fear-Mongering Now Is it really so outrageous to believe the government of the United States is capable of tyranny?

One of the arguments we’re hearing in the current debate about gun control is what might be called the anti-anti-tyranny argument. Coming from liberals, it’s a little rich.

Some gun-rights supporters say the Second Amendment’s purpose is not merely to protect the right to hunt or defend yourself, but to guard against oppression. “The purpose of having citizens armed with paramilitary weapons,” writes Kevin Williamson in National Review, “is to allow them to engage in paramilitary actions.” Fox News analyst Andrew Napolitano likewise argues that the Second Amendment protects “your right to shoot tyrants if they take over the government.”

The history of the founding and the language of the rest of the Bill of Rights suggests they have a point. (Though not the whole point. One reason the founders wanted people to be armed is so they could put down insurrections, not just start them.)

But many progressives say this is just plain nuts. To Charles Blow of The New York Times, the rise of “so-called patriot groups” who think such things is evidence of “paranoia by people who have lost their grip on the reins of power, and reality.” To Josh Horwitz of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, it’s part of a dangerously radical “insurrectionist” movement. To Eric Boehlert of Media Matters, the idea that Americans might need weapons to fight a “war with the government” is one of conservatives’ “paranoid fantasies.”

Paul Waldman of the American Prospect agrees. In a piece for CNN on how “The NRA’s Paranoid Fantasy Flouts Democracy,” he says the conservative media encourage listeners to view the Obama administration as “the very definition of dictatorship. ... [M]any would say that their ‘right’ to own any and every kind of firearm they please is the only thing that guarantees that tyranny won’t come to the United States. Well, guess what: They’re wrong.”

No doubt the gun-rights group has a fringe element, exemplified by those who think the Sandy Hook massacre was orchestrated as part of a plot to disarm America. But it’s worth pausing to ask: Is it really so outrageous to believe the government of the United States is capable of tyranny?

Not to Naomi Wolf, it isn’t. Back in 2007, the author and political activist wrote an essay on “Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps.” She noted that the leaders of a recent military coup in Thailand had followed certain clear procedures—and she insisted the Bush administration was following those very same procedures. “Beneath our very noses, George Bush and his administration are using time-tested tactics to close down an open society,” Wolf warned. “It is time for us to be willing to think the unthinkable.”

The essay was widely circulated, and its popularity led Wolf to expand it into a book, titled The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot. (That young patriot presumably is the good kind of patriot—not the kind who joins “so-called patriot groups.”)

Wolf had lots of company. MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann dedicated a “special comment” to calling Bush a fascist: “You’re a fascist!” he bellowed in his usual understated style. “Get them to print you a T-shirt with ‘fascist’ on it!”

Not everyone was so emphatic. Robert Paxton, a history professor at Columbia and the author of The Anatomy of Fascism, conceded during Bush’s first term that “Obviously, the ... administration is not a fully fascist regime with a single party, an end to elections and the setting aside of rule of law.” But, he continued, “you can make up a list of similarities and differences.” How very nuanced.

This sort of talk continued even after Bush left office. In a 2009 piece for the Los Angeles Times, columnist Tim Rutten called for a citizen commission to investigate the administration. “Just how close to the brink of executive tyranny did the United States come in the panic that swept George W. Bush’s administration after 9/11?” he asked. “The answer, it now seems clear, is that we came far closer than even staunch critics of the White House believed.”

These are not basement conspiracy theorists scribbling in the dark corners of the Internet. They are famous and highly regarded thinkers speaking from respected institutional platforms. And their views were echoed by countless thousands of lesser-known liberals sporting “Bushitler” protest signs and bumper stickers.

All of which permits only two possible conclusions. The first is that progressives knew even then, deep down, they were peddling wildly implausible paranoid fantasies—just as they accuse right-wing “insurrectionists” of doing now. If so, then they should admit as much.

The second possibility? Many progressives genuinely believed, only a few years ago, that the United States really did stand in the dusky shadow of a totalitarian nightmare. Yet now they insist that Americans who want to arm against that eventuality are paranoid nut jobs. That might be politically convenient—but it doesn’t make much sense.

The ironing is absolutely delicious.

#49 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hey there UC, good to cya still hanging around these parts

#50 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:23 PM