• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

37086_10200258539016337_911231950_n.jpg

Anybody that was a finger/thumb sucker or has or had one? Tegan sucks her middle finger and ring finger on her right hand. Because it's Winter, they are chapped and dry and crinkly. 

My sister sucked her fingers (same ones as Tegan) until she was 10. The only thing that got her to stop (not bitter apple, not hot sauce, not quinine) was when she got her spacer put in the roof of her mouth, and it would cut her fingers when she put them in her mouth. I know it's not realistic to get an 8 month old baby to stop (lol). I just wanna stop the chapping

#2 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

you can put virgin coconut oil on her fingers, should not hurt her to suck it off (as long as she has no nut allergies) and it will help with the chapping a bit. my son sucked those fingers too. I didn't believe in trying to stop them, they stopped when they were ready.

#3 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

thanks LF, that's a great idea :)

and yeah, I'm in the "she'll stop when she's ready" category, too

#4 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I never had finger/thumb suckers but have worked with plenty of them. Trying to stop them is pointless. They'll do it anyway & if you try hard enough, they'll do it to spite you! :lol:

good luck w/ the chapping

#5 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

sometimes they don't ever stop.  :lol:

My daughter is almost 13 and loves her thumb still.  IT's cute.  But not cute.  But we've tried everything and all that does is stress her out.  Her nose used to get chapped because she'd rub it while sucking her thumb.

Aleks sucks her same exact fingers Peg.  :)  Haven't had a chapped issue yet.  I guess I wouldn't really do anything if she did get chapped.  IDK.

I guess I'm of no help.

#6 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Emelia sucks her thumb. :)

She never liked pacifiers, so it's kind of funny.

#7 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Ok, Emelia has chapped skin on her thumb.  Not on the actual thumb, but right below it.  Putting lanolin on it.  The right hand has cleared up, but the left one still has rough skin.  Silly little thumb sucker!

#8 laylalime

laylalime
  • VibeTribe
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

My Teagan is almost 3 and she has sucked her thumb to the point where there is now a callous on it. It's dry and wrinkly too. Any tips on the callous part? (knowing she will put it back into her mouth)  I am going to try little frogs remedy though- great idea!  

#9 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Baby moon found his thumb yesterday.

#10 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,880 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

you can put virgin coconut oil on her fingers, should not hurt her to suck it off (as long as she has no nut allergies) and it will help with the chapping a bit. my son sucked those fingers too. I didn't believe in trying to stop them, they stopped when they were ready.

Everything little frog said.