Photo
- - - - -

Construction Estimates (rant ,if you are a home owner you are warned)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

If you DO NOT HAVE MONEY.. DO NOT CALL SOMEONE TOO LOOK AT YOUR BROKEN HOUSE.

If one Contractor tells you Ten grand for a job and an up an comer who is trying to make name for himself with professional quality work tells you Five.. Your an asshole for going with the ten grand contractor who fucks up your house.

#2 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Because of this bullshit "price shopping" when i know i just beat your best offer by atleast three grand i now charge just to look at a job.

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Charging for estimates is prudent if you can.

#4 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Maybe look into pre qualifying your potential clients?

#5 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

The only way to pre qualify potential clients is to say "hey, do you or do you not have money to do the job?"
Would you go to a store to buy something put it on the counter then say i have no money or i only have half of that? No you wouldnt.

#6 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Heres a great example.. I get a call yesterday from a lady that needs Stair Rails sanded repaired painted and stained. She tells me the last guy quoted her at Six grand. I go look at it and quote her at only Fifteen hundred.. She says oh i dont have that... WTF!?
If your best offer was six grand you should have at best been prepared for me to not go less than half of your best offer. And i did!

I walked away with a well you have my card. She called three hours later asking me to please come. Oh so now you have the money.

#7 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

If you're gonna get upset about this shit, maybe you're better suited for a 9-5.

#8 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Maybe ill slap the shit out of you next time i see you punk mutha fucker.

#9 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

:lol:

Yep, I can see why you lose jobs.

#10 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Yeah yeah you got me.

#11 Rhythmdvl

Rhythmdvl
  • VibeTribe
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

It can be really hard to explain to someone why you can't just ballpark a figure without coming by, seeing the layout and what they want--and even then the likelihood of unforeseen problems can make initial estimates somewhat tentative.

On the other hand, how the hell am I supposed to decide if we're doing a pool this year, a fourth festival, or putting in that window we've always wanted without some idea of costs. I can price out the first two (even if they include a lot of assumptions), but how am I supposed to have any idea about the third without an estimate? Even if it's something that I'll have to save for over a year or more, I can't really plan without some inkling.

Then maybe I'm kind of set on fixing the whosiwhatsit. I do my due dilligence and get a couple estimates---and they differ by more than thirty percent. Crap. Does that mean the expensive guy is padding the hell out of it or the second guy is cutting corners? They both tell me good reasons for their pricing, but how the hell am I supposed to easily make a decision, especially with the impatient contractor right there. I need to get him the hell out of my house so I can look up references, see if I can find where the differences lie, and shift through pig entrails to make my decision. I gotta say something to get him moving on.

Our way of handling it in the Rhythm House? I got a contractor's hourly rate and paid him for an hour to walk through our house and give wide-ranging, non-binding estimates of every project we could think of. I get that this is for our planning purposes only and that's their only purpose, but now I have an idea of how ten to fifteen different small and large projects fit into the grand scheme of things. We've hired him for a couple smaller-scale ones so far (a $500 and a $4,000) and the numbers were pretty close.

Now, excuse me--I have to work on an RFP for an institutional client. I know we won't be getting this one (the office will be handing it to their preferred, long-term contractor and the RFP process is for show only), but dealing with the bullshit is a necessary partof the life.