• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

:thup:

it's important - there are times to break the rules, but you can't go wrong with this.

the stir fry came out pretty good anyway, but the veggies were too wilted

#52 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,609 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

and Augie, that soup looks killer, esp. served in the green bowl.

thanks...i tryed getting creative with it :lol: 

#53 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

hmm...in order, you generally need to heat the oil, then add the aromatics (garlic/onion/ginger) until they become fragrant, then add the protein, then veggies (in order of how long they need to be cooked) then liquid, then fragrant oils.  if you can do all those steps in less than 5 minutes over high heat without ceasing movement in the wok (either through rocking or using hashii), you can throw an old shoe in there and it'll taste fantastic.  you followin' all the steps?

and Augie, that soup looks killer, esp. served in the green bowl.

Maybe I'm not letting the pan get hot enough,or overcrowding it, I definitely took much longer than 5 minutes....but in general yeah that's the steps I do.

#54 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

the stir fry came out pretty good anyway, but the veggies were too wilted

overcooked!  see below.

Maybe I'm not letting the pan get hot enough,or overcrowding it, I definitely took much longer than 5 minutes....but in general yeah that's the steps I do.

high heat, and cook just long enough to bring out the flavor of the vegetables.  note how at a chinese take-out place, the veggies hit the wok, fly up in the air twice (once dry, once with sauce), then it's off the heat and into those amazing paper containers they use before you can blink.  that's the key to crispness.  as for flavor, once you can smell the aromatics, they're ready, and should be ridiculously hot for maximum efficiency.

#55 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

trying that soup today ;)

#56 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I second roasting it in a hot oven (a little oil, salt and grind pepper)

Also- try forgetting that you had it in the oven and pull it out WAY burnt.  Its great- tastes kinda like kale chips :)

Also you can make a really quick soup by simmering broccoli and whatever other veggies (onioney stuff shallot, leek etc tastes nice with garlic) in veggie stock or water till soft then blend with a stick blender.  Add some white stuff (cream, soymilk, cream cheesey stuff) and buttery stuff.  Hearty and deliscious and healthy if you feel like going that route.

(Hell yeah Augie)

#57 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,924 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I have been making a real tasty vegetarian Pho Chay

Saute onions,garlic, mushrooms, add water and the Better than Boulion Not Chicken,  bring to boil.  Add rice noodles (the soup is done when the noodles are ready) then add carrots, then brocolli, then maybe some snow peas at appropriate times.  Then a minute or too before ready add chopped cilantro.

Serve with lime and Sriracha sauce

Here's the no boullion :

31Id4mMGZaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

#58 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

this might sound weird but we love steamed broccoli with soy sauce and some fresh parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.  YUM!

also, Roseforest posted this recipe on FB yesterday.. sounds amazing!  it's an avocado and broccoli soup.  mmmm

http://www.wholelivi...y-broccoli-soup

#59 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Broccoli and red bell pepper tossed with a spicy peanut sauce makes a delicious side or stir in some cooked chicken or tofu to make it a main dish.

4 servings, about 1 cup each | Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup water, divided
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds broccoli crowns, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
Preparation
  1. Whisk peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and vinegar in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften and brown in spots, about 6 minutes.
  3. Add the remaining 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon soy sauce to the pan along with bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the pepper has softened and the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the reserved peanut sauce and season with crushed red pepper. Garnish with peanuts.
Nutrition

Per serving : 319 Calories; 23 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 7 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 22 g Carbohydrates; 11 g Protein; 6 g Fiber; 385 mg Sodium; 503 mg Potassium

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 vegetable, 3 fat

I can't wait to try this one!

#60 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

I can't wait to try this one!

Me too!  I think I'll make it tonight :) 

#61 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,924 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

That does look good.  I feel like I'd go with Sriracha and maybe honey instead of red pepper and brown sugar.