The whole debt ceiling rigmarole...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

You "fiscally conservative" numbnuts in the House and Senate realize that the money being borrowed goes to pay for spending YOU voted for right? RIGHT?

:helpme:

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Neither party has any plan to cut spending. That's why they manufactured a crisis after making a debt ceiling movie in 2011. So they could pass off taxation on us, but manage to kick the can on making even ONE cut to spending. In March, they will once again manufacture a "crisis" to make it appear that they are trying to hash out some cuts. And once again, the can will get kicked.

Mark it down.

#3 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Unfortunately figuring out the intimate details of this crap is going to be my #1 work task in upcoming weeks.  Thankfully, for now it doesn't seem to matter a hoot. 

TASB, I totally agree on the can-kicking. 

#4 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Of one thing I am positive, that what passes for "news" in the popular press will not be worthy of paying any heed to. 

#5 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Here's a prediction:

Somebody will create a graphic that goes viral on FB which compares the federal government's finances to the average individual and you will see it every day.

It will say something like "If the government were a person, they would make $28,000/yr, spend $41,000/yr and have $154,000 in credit card debt." 

MARK MY WORDS!  :lol:

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I've seen about several dozen of those already. And i avoid FB like the plague these days. It's just too much with the political memes, false or data massaged charts or the half truth Info-Graphic. I cant stand it anymore.

#7 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I've seen about several dozen of those already. And i avoid FB like the plague these days. It's just too much with the political memes, false or data massaged charts or the half truth Info-Graphic. I cant stand it anymore.

I love it because when you see everyone railing against Monsanto or Bank of America all at the same time, you know it's a good time to buy the stocks.  :lol: 

#8 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

what is inaccurate about this graphic?

graph-on-debt-ceiling-use.jpg

Here is an article from fox news to confirm the numbers, only instead of using percentages, they use the actual dollar amounts, which is intellectually deceitful in my opinion.

http://www.foxnews.c...ling-increases/

The following is a comparison of previous increases in the nation's legal ability to borrow money, known as the debt ceiling:

Total increase in debt ceiling under Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton: $3.15 trillion

Total increase in debt ceiling during President Obama's 28 months in office when it hit May 16th: $3.144 trillion

==========================

Under President Ronald Reagan: 17 debt ceiling hikes from $935 billion to $2.8 trillion
Debt ceiling increased $1.865 trillion -- an average of $109.7 billion each hike.
---
Under the first Bush administration: six debt ceiling hikes from $2.8 trillion to $4.145 trillion
Debt ceiling increased $1.345 trillion -- an average of $224.1 billion each hike.
----
Under Clinton: four debt ceiling hikes from $4.145 trillion to $5.95 trillion
Debt ceiling increased $1.805 trillion -- an average of $451.25 billion each hike.
----
Under the second Bush administration: seven debt ceiling hikes from $5.95 trillion to $11.315 trillion.
Debt ceiling increased $5.365 trillion -- an average of $766.4 billion each hike.
----
Under Obama: three debt ceiling hikes from $11.315 trillion to $14.294 trillion
Debt ceiling increased $3.144 trillion -- $1.048 trillion each hike.

Fox news chooses to report the raw numbers because it makes Obama look worse.

When you look at the increases in terms of the percentages, it paints an entirely different picture.

It's a matter of opinion whether raw numbers or percentages are more important.

I wouldn't bet my twinkies on Fox News, though.

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

It's using percentage, for starters. It also fails to recognize that budget bills originate in the house. Both chambers of congress wwere controlled by democrats through Reagan's term...and Herbert Bush/ Losing control finally in 1994.

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Idiot.