Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on Chuck Hagel for defense secretary?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

I've liked all of Obama's appointments so far except Elizabeth Warren for the consumer protection job and was happy to see her go down in flames without a good fight.

But this guy Hagel I just don't know. He's on record as being anti-gay and anti-Israel and just that is enough for me to say tell this guy to go EAT IT.

#2 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,901 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Does putting American interests ahead of Israel automatically make one anti-Israel? 

Personally I'd rather have someone in there who is going to do what's right by the US rather than someone who will act to protect Israel even if it is detrimental to US interests.

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,023 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Zero! Zero fucks given!

#4 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,638 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

meant to put here:

repost: Well, here is a bit from Wikipedia on Hagel.  (not fact checked)  but if true... Hope and Change America!

"After leaving government employment, Hagel co-founded Vanguard Cellular, a mobile phone service carrier that made him a multi-millionaire.[18] While working with Vanguard, he served as president and chief executive officer of the United Service Organizations and the Private Sector Council, as deputy director and chief operating officer of the 1990 G7 Summit, and on the board of directors or advisory committee of the American Red Cross, the Eisenhower World Affairs Institute, Bread for the World, and the Ripon Society. He also served as Chairman of the Agent Orange Settlement Fund and is a member of the COUNCIL ON FOREIGN RELATIONS.[19]

Although he was pressured by some to run for Governor of Virginia, where he had lived for 20 years, in 1992 Hagel moved back to Nebraska to become president of the McCarthy Group, LLC, an investment banking firm.[20] He also served as a Chairman and was CEO of American Information Systems Inc. (AIS), later known as Election Systems & Software, a computerized voting machine manufacturer partly owned by McCarthy Group, LLC and the Omaha World-Herald company.[21][19] On March 15, 1995, Hagel resigned from the board of AIS as he intended to run for office.[22] Michael McCarthy, the parent company’s founder, was Hagel’s campaign treasurer.[23] Until at least 2003, he retained between $1 million and $5 million in stock in ELECTION SYSTEMS & SOFTWARE'S PARENT COMPANY, THE MCCARTHY GROUP.[24]"

Wikipedia goes on to say: "In 2004 The Hill reported that the United States Senate Ethics Committee had asked for “additional, clarifying information” about the value of the assets of the McCarthy Group, which it described as a private merchant banking company, including about its ownership of American Information Systems Inc which at that time made nearly half American voting machines. American Information Systems machines counted 80 percent of votes cast in Hagel’s 2002 and 1996 races. The committee did not accuse Hagel of wrongdoing.[25] Bev Harris,[26] Thom Hartmann,[27] and Victoria Collins in Harper's Magazine[28] have implied that Hagel's victories may have been due to election fraud."

#5 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Does putting American interests ahead of Israel automatically make one anti-Israel? 

Personally I'd rather have someone in there who is going to do what's right by the US rather than someone who will act to protect Israel even if it is detrimental to US interests.

I would argue that it's terribly difficult to find an example of where our national interests diverge, populist press reports notwithstanding.