Photo
- - - - -

ladies...any experience with stereo biopsy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

i'm going in on Monday for one and i would rather hear about this from you (women i trust) and not from Google.

about a month ago, i scheduled my first mammogram. a few days later, during a routine breast self-exam, i found a new-to-me lump in my right arm pit. it was round, hard, painless and felt like a green pea. remembering Nancy's words of caution, i called my doctor and moved my follow-up appointment to coincide with the results of my mammo, to get answers asap since the holidays were coming up fast.

at my mammo appointment i told the tech about the lump i felt, but when the results came back to my doctor there was no mention of it anywhere. she manually examined me and decided to schedule an ultrasound for the lump, as well as a second more detailed mammogram of my left breast, where they found something suspicious the first time around.

i went in on Christmas Eve morning for my followup mammo and ultrasound. the tech showed my ultrasound to the doctor on duty, and he was able to reassure me that the lump was benign. the spots on my left breast were more worrisome though, and the report they sent to my physician strongly suggested a biopsy.

i met with the surgeon my physician recommended on NYE day and after his examination of me and the films, we scheduled a stereo biopsy for this coming Monday. it'll be performed in the hospital, by the surgeon i met with, as an outpatient procedure.

i know the chances are good (about 80%) that this cluster of micro-calcification in my breast will turn out to be harmless. and i've been told that if it IS something, it's a very small something that we're catching super-early. and all of that is reassuring, but doesn't stop me from running other, scarier scenarios in my head at night.

so tell me ladies...what should i expect? it'll be mammogram-assisted so i know i'll be in there for a while, and that they'll make me as comfortable as possible. mammograms aren't uncomfortable for me at all generally, and i hear that the incision is small, so that's good.

whatever happens, i know i'll have my results the Tuesday after next (the 15th). i am looking forward to having some answers...it's been a long month.

#2 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,967 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I had one of these and it's not painful at all.
The numbing shot was more painful than the procedure.
The incision is very small and mine healed quickly.

BUT, after it was completed and my MD sister had read the pathology report, she said that doctors like to perform these and then tell you that you need to have a full excision biopsy, when they just should have done a full excision biopsy in the first place.
They get double the income that way.
I wish she had told me that before the stereo biopsy, but she thought I was having the full excision biopsy.
Live and learn.

Which reminds me, I need to get my full excision biopsy done soon.
Thanks for the reminder and good luck with your procedures. :heart:

#3 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

best of luck! :heart:

#4 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

thanks, Jen (and Elayne!).

and call today, please. :heart:

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,029 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Positive thoughts and much love.  :heart:

#6 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

thinking of you

#7 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

thanks ladies :)  turns out i had my dates confused.  my biopsy was today, and i get  my results next Monday, not next Tuesday.  

it went well today.  the really exciting (to me) news is that whatever it *was*, it's not there any more.  they pulled every little bit of it out of me today.  they left behind a titanium marker to show the place where whatever it was, was so they can monitor that spot in the future if the results come back with anything worrisome...so the extra-neat thing is, my left breast is part bionic now!!!

ok, silliness over...honestly, it was fine.  i'm a little bit sore at the sight of the incision and will have a tiny scar and some bruising to remind me of this for a while...but they couldn't have made me more comfortable or at ease than i was.  we laughed and chatted through the whole thing.  no sweat.

i have a little bit of a headache and my couch and ice pack are calling my name but i wanted to share my good news.  i'm so glad they got it all today!  just makes me feel better about the whole thing knowing that if it was...something, it's a GONE something now!

:bouncey:

#8 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,967 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

That is most excellent news!  YAY!

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,029 posts