• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,920 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

thinking of trying to find a 2nd hand ipad for my brother, 2nd gen or perhaps 3rd. the fact that there are generations of them is the extent of my ipad knowledge. well, i know that there is a 16 (gb?) and a 32 (gb?) and i'm sure a 16 would be fine.

any sites i should go to? should NOT go to? i went on amazon but i'm having trouble narrowing my search and then, even if i find one/some, it seems that i'm having trouble finding one that comes with a charger.

he doesn't need anything fancy but he's finding his ipod mini (?) is just too small and i asked best buy if there were any options for it - like one of those keyboard thingys - and they said no.

i hate technology, i suck at searching for technology, i have limited knowledge about technology and my eyes rapidly glaze over when confronted with technology. :lol: but i owe him a christmas gift and a b.day gift and this is my best idea yet and i owe him big time for all he's done for me this summer and already this winter.

do you think it's even possible to find such a thing for him? :huh:

#2 Rip Van Winkle

Rip Van Winkle
  • VibeTribe
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

anything is possible grasshopper

#3 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,939 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

When Apple came out with the iPhone 5, they made a change to the 3rd generation iPad. The biggest change was the connector. The rest of the 3rd generation iPad stayed the same. Same Retina display, a tiny difference in the processor, but not much. Same battery life.
When they made the change, they took the 3rd generation out of the store. They renamed the new (4th generation?) the iPad with Retina display. What it really is is a 3rd gen with a different charging connector.

Anyway, my point is you can get a 3rd generation at the Apple Outlet for about $120 less than the current model. It has the same warranty as a new one, but it is called refurbished. Really what it is is overstocked. They can't sell them at full price, so they are in the outlet store.

I just bought one last week....

http://store.apple.c...pad/ipad3/wi_fi

#4 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,920 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

that's good to know, thanks!

what are the differences between the 2nd and the 3rd gens?

#5 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,939 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

that's good to know, thanks!

what are the differences between the 2nd and the 3rd gens?

Mostly the screen. the 3rd (and 4th) have higher resolution screens. The 2nd gen doesn't have the best camera....
Also the iPad 3 can update to the latest iOS, which will allow Siri to work.

#6 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,920 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

:crazy:

i am the best sister ever!    :funny1:

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,014 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Refurbished from the online Apple store would be my first thought as well.

#8 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Maybe this is out there, but have you checked local pawn shops?  I'm sure there are tons of used ones around.  Ebay too, but caveat emptor.