• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo Adventurer

Indigo Adventurer
  • VibeTribe
  • 344 posts
  • Locationin the hearts and minds of many

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

How do people feel about the flu shot in an otherwise healthy child? I have let her get all of her vaccinations thus far and she is up to date but has not had a flu shot yet I believe. It seems like every other child in a 50 mile radius is sick and she isn't so it made me hesitate and not make the appt just yet when the Dr. came up to remind me to schedule it as we were leaving.... (I had already told her yay no poking today and she had gotten her sticker for being so good- no way were they giving her a shot then at 5:15 pm when our appt was at 3:15 pm but we had to wait for a while to get in, which was completely understood by the Dr.) But I didn't make the appt because I am not sure if I want her to have it. Any thoughts? How crucial is it these days, especially in a child with an already excellent immune system?

Also note she is almost 19 months old.

#2 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

this is a controversial subject, and I've done a little research.

Aside from any conspiracy theories, the preservative called "thiomersal" is what people are worried about causing health problems because it is a mercury containing organic compound.

some people say it is harmless because it leaves your body in just a couple weeks, others say that it builds up and may cause autism, attention deficit disorder, or other problems especially in kids.

In order to avoid the thiomersal, you will have to find a doctor or pharmacy that has SINGLE DOSE vials. This means the vial it comes in is used only once, and therefore no preservative is needed because the vial is only penetrated once by a single needle and then thrown away. Multi-dose vials need the preservative because needles penetrate the vial several times introducing small amounts of fungus or bacteria that need to be killed (by the thiomersal).

Here's a link on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....sal_controversy

To sum it up, insist on a single use vial of vaccine that does not contain thiomersal.

I've been getting the flu shot for a few years now, and I think it helps. I haven't had the flu. We'll see I guess if the mercury builds up because I only found out about that information this year after I had already gotten it. I think it's probably much more crucial for children, though it's probably not that healthy for adults either...

#3 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

She doesn't need the flu shot.

#4 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Wende, other than the thiomersal, what is your objection against vaccinations?

#5 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I really don't want to do this again. But, I will, for just a second.
So, there's just too many. It's out of control. Our bodies used to be built to fight. Now our kids are the sickest they've been in, gosh, IDK....forever? Allergies, Asthma, ADHD (the 3 A's) Digestion problems. Yes, you add the fact that our food source it pretty much tainted and add that with immune systems that have no idea what to do anymore and you have our future gens.....Too many vegetables walking around. Just too much. Our brains chemistry, our bodies....in the name of science, our bodies do NOT grow immunities through the bloodstream.....We get it through fevers and our nasal membranes...and we sure as hell can't fight 2, 3 and even 4 diseases in one poke. Eeek. But we don't want to hear or learn about that. We just close our eyes and hope. It's pretty dangerous. Do I say vaccines are bad? No way man. I think it's a great accomplishment and has and still does do amazing things. But, does my baby need 28 vaccines before she is even 18 months old? HELL no! And the Flu shot? Sorry, I don't trust anything that you find signs on every corner telling you to "Get your flu shot here, today, now, only 29.99" that's just fucked up. :lol:

But whatever. As you said, it's very controversal and I have learned it's a no win topic. You have to do your own research and put it all together yourself. How the body works is a GREAT start.
Fear and parenthood makes for good money making, that's fer sure.

But ultimately, if your heart is telling you it's not necessary, or you're just not comfortable with it, and why? Then it's probably a good indication to listen to yourself.
But it's also important to not tell anyone else what to do or how to do it and what to put in their own bodies.
Live and let live~

#6 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

I used to get flu shots all the time. I will not get another. For years, only certain groups got flu shots, now everyone gets one. As Wende says, only $29.99. Follow the money. There is a giant ad campaign going on, and it is no different than any other business. Convince people to buy something they don't need.
Sure, elderly or very young MAY benefit from a flu shot, but for the most part,the whole population doesn't need it.I think after 12 months, kids don't need it.

Also, many people say the same thing. Every kid for 50 miles is sick, so I'm going to get her/him a flu shot. Sick with what? The flu? OK, A cold? flu shot ain't gonna help. Sniffles?, stomach bug?
I don't believe that they are as harmless as the drug companies would like you to believe.

But then again, I don't take a lot of medications. I have to be in real pain for an aspirin.

#7 laylalime

laylalime
  • VibeTribe
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

I work in healthcare and I go both ways on this subject. I have a healthy almost 3 year old little girl who has both gotten the flu shot and not. .
The vaccination is always last years, or a mix of previous years flu viruses used to make the vaccines and sometimes this years flu virus is essentially the same so the vaccine helps, other years the virus is different so it doesn't. My baby had the flu shot and then, a couple months later got the flu, as with myself. Another year it helped when the flu went through daycare, only the kids who weren't vaccinated got it. So, it truly is your choice.
If you are concerned about the "mercury" levels, you can always just ask for a half dose.
Hope this helps a little, I know I probably question every decision I make with my child too.

#8 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

It's definitely a personal decision, and it's unfair to allow consumers to make these decisions based on misinformation or outright lies - so it's definitely a good topic to discuss. Yes, it is controversial, but it shouldn't really have to be. If we all just share the information we are aware of without judging others for their choices, a discussion like this can be very productive for all.

#9 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Absolutely.

#10 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

I don't even have kids, so I'm not even speaking for them really. I'm just sharing what I know.

I do have some chronic upper respiratory issues which are exacerbated by flu in the winter time, so the shot has always been recommended for me ever since the beginning. I believe I may have missed only one year since they started. And I can't remember getting the flu ever since getting the shots.

#11 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

Coincidence. ?

#12 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

what? that I haven't gotten the flu since getting the shots? It could be a coincidence, absolutely. Maybe I've just been taking better care of myself in general, or not exposed... you'd have to have a double blind sample and a medical study and all that.

I think if I had children, I would try to limit the amount of thiomersal to little or none. I think some vaccinations are good, but it's all a personal decision. These facts and results of info should be made easily available to anyone considering getting vaccinated.

For example... you don't hear much about polio, measles, or rubella anymore, and soon you won't hear about chicken pox either.

If they really do what they are supposed to without any side effects, then I see no harm.

#13 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

No side effects? But we don't know the true side effects. Maybe MS is a side effect and/or ADHD etc. etc. They're finding traces of early Polio vaccines in many cancerous tumors in our 50-60 year olds. .

We don't have any clue the side effects, we're all study subjects. ...only time will tell with that.

My 3 kids all had different Polio vaccines?! Why? If it is so deemed as safe, then why are they recalling them and putting out different ones? All in a matter of 10 years? That's scary shit.
Scientists have no fucking clue what these vaccines are doing to us. As I said....only time will tell. Ya know?

Chicken Pox? You'll be hearing about that one for a while.
Heck, now they're saying you need MORE chicken pox vax's...that the first one and the supposedly only one needed is not doing it's job anymore....So, in return....MORE SHOTS.

And now because our kids aren't developing the proper Varicella immunities, we are now injecting SHINGLES VACCINES to make up for it.

It's an ugly ugly cycle and it's only going to go faster and get bigger because well, love+fear=$$

#14 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

well it's like anything... the regulation on it sucks.

nutrient supplements can claim their product may cure any disease they want as long as there's a * stating *these statements not approved by FDA.

Well, why can't we research these alleged cures/treatments rather than keep throwing more of them into the mix just to confuse us more.

Logic and reason would tell us that some of these are probably helpful more than harmful, and for others unfortunately the opposite is probably true.

The problem is that the drug companies right now are so loosely regulated that it costs them more money in lost revenue for each day that a new product not on the market than it does to pay fines and settlements for breaking the law if they get caught afterward. Litigation could take years, meanwhile they're raking in the cash hand over fist.

#15 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

no flu shot for me, evah. (recall)

#16 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

I have not read everyone's posts but I say if your child is healthy, no history of upper resipratory problems, no family history of asthma etc then it's not necessary. I never got them until I was preggers - pressure from my hubbs, an RN. So I appeased him, got them during pregnancies & the girls got them for a few years but then I stopped.

Yes there is stuff in it that I don't want my kids getting but the bottom line for me is that it's a crap shoot. 'They' decide what is most likely to be pervasive & create a flu shot for it. It's not going to definitely stop you from getting the flu. Plus I'd rather my girls get sick for a few days then get whatever is in that shot.

knock on wood, we have never had the flu & the hubbs works in a hospital where he's exposed to it dozens of times a shift, multiple shifts a week

#17 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/25/mmr-vaccine-caused-autism-aspx

#18 kindsisterkathy

kindsisterkathy
  • VibeTribe
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNorth Red Sox Nation

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

My doctor kinda gave us a hard time about not giving Mel the flu shot, and not getting one myself.  She listed off all these reasons why its necessary, and I still refused, she had to put us under "religious exempt" which is silly, especially since she has received other shots.  But the flu shot is a thinly veiled money maker for already bloated pharmaceutical companies.  I really believe this "epidemic" is media hype at its worst.  If everyone received these easily accessible flu shots, then why does EVERYONE  have the flu???  Oh that's right, not everyone has it, those who didnt receive the shot, dont have it!

An old employer requested that all direct care staff had to get the flu shot, so I lined up like a good soldier and was sick as a dog afterwards, less than a month later, I caught the flu.  That was the last time I got a shot, and the last time I got the flu.  For me, that's enough evidence to last me a lifetime!!!

#19 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I HATED more than anything the hard time they gave when you refused their garbage.  It was very offensive for them to see anyone going against what they were trying to do.  Like who are YOU to say no to me?  Yea, it's why I had to switch doctors after 16 years.

There was a Hep C or was it A?  Either way, there was a Hep outbreak due to some filth on SPinach?  So, the next time I went to bring kids in, the lady walked in with shots...I was like "um, what are those?"  She's like "Oh, didn't you hear on the news, there is an outbreak of Hep from bad spinach, better to be safe than sorry"

that's when I was like "No, sorry fucktard, I don't have TV, I don't watch the hype, I don't want these shots"  Goddamn!  ughhhhhhhhhh

OK, how about a flu shot?  No thanks!  Well, they are due for their Dtap's in the next couple months, let's do those now.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#20 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd.....I also find it annoying and pretty strange that we are the only nation in this entire world that advertises the use of prescription drugs and vaccines.  All over Billboards, magazines (do you know how much it costs drug companies to run 3 FULL PAGE ad's in those magazines? Gasp)

every aisle in the drug store has a "Get your flu shots here" on each endcap.  IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd.....I also find it annoying and pretty strange that we are the only nation in this entire world that advertises the use of prescription drugs and vaccines.  All over Billboards, magazines (do you know how much it costs drug companies to run 3 FULL PAGE ad's in those magazines? Gasp)

every aisle in the drug store has a "Get your flu shots here" on each endcap.  IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother lives in Australia & his gf is from New Zealand. The first time she came over here & saw a drug commercial, she was shocked! She thought it was a public service announcement for counseling & then a drug ad pops up.

#22 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

ughhh, some real shit just went down right here in my home town this week.  I wrote it out on the other boards and am going to post it here too. 

Thank you for listening to me folks.  <3

#23 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I guess we can't copy and paste.  Oh well.  I'll write it out eventually. 

#24 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

when my kids were young they got vaccines, but they got about 8 total each. today they want to give them so many shots, what do you new parents do about that? I feel like that would be a really tough fight for me.

#25 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

It is.  My husband and I are like.  "OK, let's do all the same shots we did" (they don't even have the same ingredients anymore).  Gosh, even my first three kids...got about 12 less than they do now. 

It's hard.  Because I'm NOT ANTI vaccine.  I'm just not.  But I guess for me, right now...it's all or nothing and I'm going to stick with nothing. 

We'll see what happens. 

#26 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

If I had to do it over again, I would have the shots split up & do them very slowly over many years. Plus I would not give them the Hep's, the chicken pox & some others

#27 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

Couple of things...  The adverts for prescription drugs bug me to no end.  If, you believe in good faith that your doctor knows what to prescribe for you (yeah I know, they are paid from the drug companies to push certain drugs, but let's disregard that for now).

So, a doctor says you have XYZ, and I want you to take Med A for 6 months...  blah blah blah.  Now the patient can say "No Doc, I want the kind with the pretty lady running though the field of flowers." The patient now pressures the doctor on what kinda meds they should take.  Inmates running the asylum?

And, I've said it before.  I was pro vaccine.  My oldest got them all, and my youngest got most of them. Then I did the research. 

All I'll say is that if I had to do it again, I would not give them a single vaccine.

#28 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

once you learn, you can't unlearn.  OY!

#29 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think it's too many now. I understand the more serious diseases I guess, but now it's 20 something shots they want to give your kids before they're 4 years old. i don't see how that's helpful or how their bodies can handle it. I also don't think they've done long term studies on how these drugs affect the kids. they create the vaccine and voila! it's out there!

#30 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

No Allison...it's 25 vaccines by the time they are 18 months old.  :( :crying2:

#31 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

we are the guinea pigs for these vaccines.  Only time will tell the long term affects.  And hopefully, they will have it all exposed and more people will catch on and some things can change by the time our grandbabies and their grandbabies go through this.  But, people have to get their fucking heads out of the sand.  Ask questions.  When you start, you won't be able to stop.  Yes, it's easier to "just do what they say"  but what you "don't know" is not hurting you, it's hurting your babies and future gens.  :(  OY!

#32 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...6--finance.html

#33 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

No Allison...it's 25 vaccines by the time they are 18 months old.  :( :crying2:

OMG! i would be fighting with the dr, definitely about that. he'd have to give me the lowdown on each and every shot and then i would decide which were really needed. that's insane. we'd be going holistic for sure.

#34 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...6--finance.html

Very Scary!!!

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Emelie is plagued by hallucinations and nightmares. When she wakes up, she's often paralyzed, unable to breathe properly or call for help. During the day she can barely stay awake, and often misses school or having fun with friends. She is only 14, but at times she has wondered if her life is worth living.

Emelie is one of around 800 children in Sweden and elsewhere in Europe who developed narcolepsy, an incurable sleep disorder, after being immunized with the Pandemrix H1N1 swine flu vaccine made by British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline in 2009.

Finland, Norway, Ireland and France have seen spikes in narcolepsy cases, too, and people familiar with the results of a soon-to-be-published study in Britain have told Reuters it will show a similar pattern in children there.

Their fate, coping with an illness that all but destroys normal life, is developing into what the health official who coordinated Sweden's vaccination campaign calls a "medical tragedy" that will demand rising scientific and medical attention.

Europe's drugs regulator has ruled Pandemrix should no longer be used in people aged under 20. The chief medical officer at GSK's vaccines division, Norman Begg, says his firm views the issue extremely seriously and is "absolutely committed to getting to the bottom of this", but adds there is not yet enough data or evidence to suggest a causal link.

Others - including Emmanuel Mignot, one of the world's leading experts on narcolepsy, who is being funded by GSK to investigate further - agree more research is needed but say the evidence is already clearly pointing in one direction.

"There's no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Pandemrix increased the occurrence of narcolepsy onset in children in some countries - and probably in most countries," says Mignot, a specialist in the sleep disorder at Stanford University in the United States.

30 MILLION RECEIVED PANDEMRIX

In total, the GSK shot was given to more than 30 million people in 47 countries during the 2009-2010 H1N1 swine flu pandemic. Because it contains an adjuvant, or booster, it was not used in the United States because drug regulators there are wary of adjuvanted vaccines.

GSK says 795 people across Europe have reported developing narcolepsy since the vaccine's use began in 2009.

Questions about how the narcolepsy cases are linked to Pandemrix, what the triggers and biological mechanisms might have been, and whether there might be a genetic susceptibility are currently the subject of deep scientific investigation.

But experts on all sides are wary. Rare adverse reactions can swiftly develop into "vaccine scares" that spiral out of proportion and cast what one of Europe's top flu experts calls a "long shadow" over public confidence in vaccines that control potential killers like measles and polio.

"No-one wants to be the next Wakefield," said Mignot, referring to the now discredited British doctor Andrew Wakefield who sparked a decades-long backlash against the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) shot with false claims of links to autism.

With the narcolepsy studies, there is no suggestion that the findings are the work of one rogue doctor.

Independent teams of scientists have published peer-reviewed studies from Sweden, Finland and Ireland showing the risk of developing narcolepsy after the 2009-2010 immunization campaign was between seven and 13 times higher for children who had Pandemrix than for their unvaccinated peers.

"We really do want to get to the bottom of this. It's not in anyone's interests if there is a safety issue that needs to be addressed," said GSK's Begg.

LIFE CHANGED

Emelie's parents, Charles and Marie Olsson, say she was a top student who loved playing the piano, taking tennis lessons, creating art and having fun with friends. But her life started to change in early 2010, a few months after she had Pandemrix. In the spring of 2010, they noticed she was often tired, needing to sleep when she came home from school.

But it wasn't until May, when she began collapsing at school, that it became clear something serious was happening.

As well as the life-limiting bouts of daytime sleepiness, narcolepsy brings nightmares, hallucinations, sleep paralysis and episodes of cataplexy - when strong emotions trigger a sudden and dramatic loss of muscle strength.

In Emelie's case, having fun is the emotional trigger. "I can't laugh or joke about with my friends anymore, because when I do I get cataplexies and collapse," she said in an interview at her home in the Swedish capital.

Narcolepsy is estimated to affect between 200 and 500 people per million and is a lifelong condition. It has no known cure and scientists don't really know what causes it. But they do know patients have a deficit of a brain neurotransmitter called orexin, also known as hypocretin, which regulates wakefulness.

Research has found that some people are born with a variant in a gene known as HLA that means they have low hypocretin, making them more susceptible to narcolepsy. Around 25 percent of Europeans are thought to have this genetic vulnerability.

When results of Emelie's hypocretin test came back in November last year, it showed she had 15 percent of the normal amount, typical of heavy narcolepsy with cataplexy.

The seriousness of her strange new illness has forced her to contemplate life far more than many other young teens: "In the beginning I didn't really want to live any more, but now I have learned to handle things better," she said.

TRIGGERS?

Scientists investigating these cases are looking in detail at Pandemrix's adjuvant, called AS03, for clues.

Some suggest AS03, or maybe its boosting effect, or even the H1N1 flu itself, may have triggered the onset of narcolepsy in those who have the susceptible HLA gene variant.

Angus Nicoll, a flu expert at the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), says genes may well play a part, but don't tell the whole story.

"Yes, there's a genetic predisposition to this condition, but that alone cannot explain these cases," he said. "There was also something to do with receiving this specific vaccination. Whether it was the vaccine plus the genetic disposition alone or a third factor as well - like another infection - we simply do not know yet."

GSK is funding a study in Canada, where its adjuvanted vaccine Arepanrix, similar to Pandemrix, was used during the 2009-2010 pandemic. The study won't be completed until 2014, and some experts fear it may not shed much light since the vaccines were similar but not precisely the same.

It all leaves this investigation with far more questions than answers, and a lot more research ahead.

WAS IT WORTH IT?

In his glass-topped office building overlooking the Maria Magdalena church in Stockholm, Goran Stiernstedt, a doctor turned public health official, has spent many difficult hours going over what happened in his country during the swine flu pandemic, wondering if things should have been different.

"The big question is was it worth it? And retrospectively I have to say it was not," he told Reuters in an interview.

Being a wealthy country, Sweden was at the front of the queue for pandemic vaccines. It got Pandemrix from GSK almost as soon as it was available, and a nationwide campaign got uptake of the vaccine to 59 percent, meaning around 5 million people got the shot.

Stiernstedt, director for health and social care at the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, helped coordinate the vaccination campaign across Sweden's 21 regions.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says the 2009-2010 pandemic killed 18,500 people, although a study last year said that total might be up to 15 times higher.

While estimates vary, Stiernstedt says Sweden's mass vaccination saved between 30 and 60 people from swine flu death. Yet since the pandemic ended, more than 200 cases of narcolepsy have been reported in Sweden.

With hindsight, this risk-benefit balance is unacceptable. "This is a medical tragedy," he said. "Hundreds of young people have had their lives almost destroyed."

PANDEMICS ARE EMERGENCIES

Yet the problem with risk-benefit analyses is that they often look radically different when the world is facing a pandemic with the potential to wipe out millions than they do when it has emerged relatively unscathed from one, like H1N1, which turned out to be much milder than first feared.

David Salisbury, the British government's director of immunization, says "therein lies the risk, and the difficulty, of working in public health" when a viral emergency hits.

"In the event of a severe pandemic, the risk of death is far higher than the risk of narcolepsy," he told Reuters. "If we spent longer developing and testing the vaccine on very large numbers of people and waited to see whether any of them developed narcolepsy, much of the population might be dead."

Pandemrix was authorized by European drug regulators using a so-called "mock-up procedure" that allows a vaccine to be authorized ahead of a possible pandemic using another flu strain. In Pandemrix's case, the substitute was H5N1 bird flu.

When the WHO declared a pandemic, GSK replaced the mock-up's strain with the pandemic-causing H1N1 strain to form Pandemrix.

GSK says the final H1N1 version was tested in trials involving around 3,600 patients, including children, adolescents, adults and the elderly, before it was rolled out.

The ECDC's Nicoll says early warning systems that give a more accurate analysis of a flu strain's threat are the best way to minimize risks of this kind of tragedy happening in future.

Salisbury agrees, and says progress towards a universal flu vaccine - one that wouldn't need last-minute changes made when a new strain emerged - would cuts risks further.

"Ideally, we would have a better vaccine that would work against all strains of influenza and we wouldn't need to worry about this ever again," he said. "But that's a long way off."

With scientists facing years of investigation and research, Emelie just wants to make the best of her life.

She reluctantly accepts that to do so, she needs a cocktail of drugs to try to control the narcolepsy symptoms. The stimulant Ritalin and the sleeping pill Sobril are prescribed for Emelie's daytime sleepiness and night terrors. Then there's Prozac to try to stabilize her and limit her cataplexies.

"That's one of the things that makes me feel most uncomfortable," she explains. "Before I got this condition I didn't take any pills, and now I have to take lots - maybe for the rest of my life. It's not good to take so many medicines, especially when you know they have side effects."

(Reporting by Kate Kelland; Editing by Will Waterman)

#35 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

hmmm, imagine that.  A vaccine that is now no longer to be used with a certain age group.  "Oops, sorry to those that we jabbed with this shit.  Oopsie"  grrrrrr

#36 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

For what its worth, the United States is the only country that recommends the flu shot for everyone.

In other countries its recommended for the very little and the old.

Why is that?

Do they make people differnt over there?

Of course not.

So then why?

#37 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Because we're bigger and smarter and stronger and have more guns and if you don't see things our way then you are wrong and we will come over there and shoot the shit out of your country.  That's why.

#38 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=03JdA7lcto

:lol:

#39 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

i think people with the flu should stay home and wash their hands a lot.

#40 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

i think people with the flu should stay home and wash their hands a lot.

This!

#41 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

My 50 year old sister-n-law who can never even remeber getting flu shots she so rarely has, got one yesterday from a Walgreens or someplace like that, succumbing to all the media hype she said.

Since she's been taking pain killers and will now be going to see a doctor as she can't move that arm, shoulder, or part of her neck on that side after the jab.

Once size fits all medicine. Gotta love it.

#42 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

just 29.99

#43 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

The one time I got a flu shot I felt like crap for close to 3 weeks.

Not down and out sick like if I really had the flu, but crappy enough to know I'll never get another one again.

I'd rather be down and out with the flu for a few days once every 5 or 6 years then get a shot that may or may not prevent the flu but makes me feel crappy for 3 weeks.

It's really a no-brainer for me.

#44 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

So, where is the starter of this thread?  Obviously she wasn't "that" curious to our repsonses and opinions.  :lol:

#45 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

arming public health nurses with the flu vaccines and going down a list and knocking on the elderly's homes and housing complex's to tell them they are going to die a horrible death if they do not get a flu vaccine and/or a shingles vaccine, right...there and right then. 

Pushing and pushing the HPV vaccine on young girls and NOW BOYS (durr)  Trying to pass bills to administer those vax's to the kids in their schools, without parental consent.  yea, try it buddy.  There will be a war if this was to ever happen.  I had to tell my children that if anyone was to ever want to inject them with ANYTHING they have my permission to say 'NO" and run away down the road and call me. 

We're going mad.

#46 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

no shit.

noitce how the flu pandemic is suddenly over now, and the vaccine that was so highly touted as protecting against the right strains ended up being a dud in a lot of cases?

unless of course you had side effects.

then it wasn't a dud.

#47 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

In my office, the only people who got the flu this season are the people who got a flu shot last fall.

And that HPV vaccine.

Did they do ANY serious long term studies on that before pushing it on the public?

I'm very concerned for my daughter, whose father thought it would be a good idea to get her shot up with that behind my back and without doing any research.

Grrrrrrr....

#48 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Last year, on these boards there was a nice long thread about flu shots, and vaccines in general.

I, like many others always thought that vaccines were needed, esp for children.

Someone, sorry I don't remember who, maybe Wende? said "do the research" 

I did. and have come to the conclusion that most, if not all vaccines are not only not needed, but unhealthy to the general population.  Including Flu shots, MMR, polio, etc...

#49 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I do remember you Depends and I remember walking away from that thread feeling pretty shitty, as I was being called names and all sorts of fun stuff, but I stuck to what I believe in and what I know now and remember you coming in saying the thread actually helped open your eyes and after doing research yourself, thanked me.  It made for all the name calling and bashing all worth it.  <3

So, thank you for that! 

#50 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I hope I didn't call you names....