• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,159 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Been researching for a while and I've narrowed the search to 2 models: the 4500 and the 5200. The biggest advantage the 5200 seems to have is the variable speeds where the 4500 only has 2 speed settings. There's also a significant difference in price between to 2.

If anyboardie owns a Vitamix, I'd love to hear how you like it, which model you use and if you'd recommend it. I think I've taken my research as far as it can go for now and would love to hear some personal experience stories because I find that they really help me make decisions like this.

I got a bunch of gift cards for Christmas and I've been putting some money aside, so I think I have just about enough to start shopping. Its a big investment and I want to make sure I get the model that will best suit me. It doesn't have to be the one with the most gizmos or the highest price tag, I just want to be sure I'm making a good choice before I drop the $$$.

#2 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

i guess you need to ask yourself what you are going to do with it. it's a very versatile machine (the one with more speeds) so if you are going to be making all kinds of things, go for it! if you are just going to be making smoothies and using it more as a blender, the 2 speed option will do. if it were me, and i cooked a lot (which i don't ;) ) i would go for the 5200 :)

i had one years ago but it was for my tinture making business so i just used it to grind herbs. back then they had a metal canister. this was 20 years ago...

#3 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,159 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'll be honest, it would be nice to finally have a blender that's reliable. I can't tell you how much money I've spent on blenders in the past few years that just don't last. The motors up & die on me. I had my grandma's old blender for years and when it finally gave up, I couldn't find one that would last no matter how hard I tried.

But I'm definitely looking at it as much more than a blender. I love to cook and the Vitamix seems like its a really versatile tool and could replace a whole bunch of other kitchen tools I have that I'm just not happy with (like a string of lousy blenders and my shitty Cuisinart food processor that never seems to do what I need it to).

If I could have one machine that works as it should and could take the place of 3-4 others, I'd be thrilled because it would really cut down on the clutter in my kitchen and I'd probably be more likely to experiment with new things knowing I've got a tool that can be an asset instead of a hindrance. That's something I'd be more than willing to spend the bucks on since it could be a worthwhile investment for me.

#4 teacupdragon

teacupdragon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

Definitely go with the variable speed vitamix. Being able to start low to grind up frozen fruit or apples with the skin on in a smoothie and then ramping up the speed gradually to get a good blend is so useful..