• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

I feel like I'm missing out on some pop culture or something... there's this wonkish looking pundit guy on MSNBC always quoting Jay Z and I feel out of the loop.

Is Jay Z something I should be listening to?

#2 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

I agree with all the points the guy makes, too. And he looks exactly like every other straight laced clean cut pundit on TV, but then he'll end it all with, and as Jay Z said "blah blah blah buh blah blam diggy" or something like that, and I'm like whaaaaa? Did I miss something...

to top the whole show off, then you got that professor their expressing admiration for hearing the guy "spit off some Jay Z" as if he's the new messiah.

Someone clue me in using regular terms I can relate to on who Jay Z is please? I know he met with the president, but I thought that was all just flash and publicity like the Katy Perry thing.

#3 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,934 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

He's more relevant as a businessman than as an entertainer.

#4 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,551 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

He's more relevant as a businessman than as an entertainer.

totally

#5 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

ok, so he's a successful entrepreneur. I suppose things he says has about as much relevance as Donald Trump... so it's just popular culture.

#6 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

well, I just wikipeducated myself, and I guess he is politically active. here:

Jay-Z got actively involved in politics during the 2008 presidential campaign, where he supported increased voter participation and helped send voters to polling stations.[128]He was an early supporter for the candidacy of Illinois senator and subsequent U.S. president Barack Obama, performing for free in voter-drive concerts financed by the Democrats' campaign.[129] He also became acquainted with Obama himself, who stated "Every time I talk to Jay-Z, who is a brilliant talent and a good guy, I enjoy how he thinks. That's somebody who is going to start branching out and can help shape attitudes in a real positive way."[130] During the 2010 mid-term elections' campaign, Jay-Z appeared, along with other artists, in an ad prepared by the HeadCountorganization, urging voters, and especially younger ones, to register and vote.[131] In May 2012, Jay-Z announced his endorsement of President Obama's support ofsame-sex marriage for gay couples[132] and participated in his re-election campaign.[133]

Civil rights activist Harry Belafonte has been openly critical of Jay-Z and Beyoncé in their relatively safe political stances, saying that they "have turned their back on social responsibility" in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter.[134] A Syracuse Universityfinance professor[135] is also of this view, pointing to Jay-Z's only giving $6,000 to charity after making $63 million in 2012. He also voiced that the hip-hop mogul likely would never have come out in support of gay marriage had President Obama not first taken the position.[136]

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

I enjoy his early music.

Big Pimpin
99 Problems

http://theurbandaily...10-jay-z-songs/

You tube videos in there.

#8 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

oh yeah! I heard those songs a long time ago... I like them, and hard knock life and a couple others... Thanks for the link Andy!

I guess it's good he's becoming political... just really odd hearing his name dropped during "serious" conversations.

#9 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,934 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

Somebody once said that about Reagan...:lol:

#10 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

ok yeah, Jay Z is the shiz

maybe he'll be the Democratic counterpart to Reagan. For better or for worse.

#11 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

I didn't know who he was

Creekie was all kinds of "WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" when she found out

I hate rap, lol.

#12 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Kinda dig this for more recent stuff...

#13 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

that ^ is one of my favorite Jay Z songs too :) along with Big Pimpin and Hard Knock Life and 99 Problems and...well, lots of others.

he's one of the few modern hip hop artists whose talent i deeply respect, and ranks right up there with the best that hip hop has to offer.

#14 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yup. There's very little rap/hip hop I like, and most that I do goes back to the 80's/early 90's (Public Enemy, KRS1).

But I like me some Jay Z once in a while.

#15 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,114 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

He boinks Beyonce in the keyster :smile:

#16 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Tim it sounds like we have similar taste in hip hop :) but my favorite is the stuff Jason calls "disco rap", the really old stuff i grew up listening to. the Sugar Hill Gang, that era.

Jason loves it when he comes home from work and i've got Jay Z blasting while i cook or do whatever around the house. it usually leads to a dining room dance party. he's a big fan, too.

#17 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,114 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUg7G3CPos0

and introducing Carmen Elektra as the French girl

#18 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,724 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Jay Z is great. It's not my favorite hip-hop (that would be the early '90s stuff like Pharcyde, Tribe, De La Soul, Digable Planets) but I really dig a lot of his stuff and am always interested to hear what he's doing.

#19 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I used to work a couple floors down from him, He seemed like a normal guy, his nephew works there, he shows up to work takes the same elevator as everyone else, is polite, I've opened the door for him and was downstairs when friends of mine did the same, always said thanks. no drama...