16 replies to this topic

#1 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,449 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c1

(CNN) -- An interactive map showing the names and addresses of all handgun permit-holders in New York's Westchester and Rockland counties has drawn a response from mostly disgruntled readers since it was posted Saturday on a newspaper's website.

The interactive map published by the Journal News, prompting more than 1,300 comments as of Tuesday, allows readers to zoom in on red dots that indicate which residents are licensed to own pistols or revolvers.

"So should we start wearing yellow Stars of David so the general public can be aware of who we are??" wrote one commenter.

Fiery debate over guns in America Gun control and the 2nd Amendment Fareed's Take: Gun control

Some of those responding threatened to cancel their subscriptions or boycott the publication completely.

"I hope you lose readers now," wrote one.

The map came about in the wake of the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, according to a statement from The Journal News.

"In the past week, conversation on our opinion pages and on our website, LoHud.com, has been keenly focused on gun control," the newspaper's editor and vice president, CynDee Royle, said in the statement.

The names and addresses of the two counties' permit-holding residents were obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. The website notes that the map does not indicate whether the residents own handguns, only that they are legally able to, and that the data do not pertain to rifles or shotguns -- which can be bought without a permit.

NRA doubles down: New gun laws won't work

Still, hundreds of residents were shocked to see their information posted without their being notified. Some said the map will prompt burglaries because thieves are now aware of where weapons are likely located.

"Now everyone knows where the legal guns are kept, a valuable piece of information for criminals," a commenter wrote. "Why don't you do something helpful, like trying to find out where the illegal guns are kept?"

The Journal News argued that residents have a right to access information regarding weapon holders in Westchester and Rockland communities.

"Our readers are understandably interested to know about guns in their neighborhoods," Royle said in her statement.

Posted Image

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

"Journalism" at its absolute finest.

#3 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Haha, why would anyone who owns a gun legally care that others know they can legally own guns? This just makes NO sense to me.

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Why would they care? First, it is an invasion of privacy. Soemthing we used to actually care about as private citizens. Second, it's like a whos who for criminals. But not to worry. Take away the element of surprise and such. Besides:

http://www.bizpacrev...an-option-12029

“Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun, but permit it.”

#5 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Privacy? It was public domain, available to anyone.

Im sure any gun owner would choose to carry their weapons on them all the time in a holster if they were allowed, why get butthurt over a newspaper reporting actual facts?

Saying that it tempts criminals is bullshit, thats obvious fear-mongering at its finest.

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I can get a lot of information throught he FOIA. That doesn't mean it is responsible "journalism" to post such information in your paper/website.

That's all im saying and before it gets all crazy, the map only shows those who Cn have a handgun permit, not who does. it also excludes other firearm information.

So again, "journalism" at its absolute finest.

#7 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,784 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Nobody's business, and really reckless of the paper to print this.

It's a damned shame that so many people weild so many rights so irresponsibly.

#8 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

a few years ago the local paper printed everyone that owns a pistol in this county. people were pissed.

#9 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,681 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

So now burglars know which well-armed neighborhoods to avoid (or rob).

#10 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,784 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

(or rob).

Yup.

"We're standing up against 'gun violence' by letting thieves know where they can go to have a good shot at stealing a gun."

#11 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,519 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

You just know there will be a couple of dopes sitting around drinking who are going to decide to go for it :bang:

#12 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

we must stop the spread of information. it's destroying the country.

#13 beerzrkr

beerzrkr
  • VibeTribe
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

Would you like me to post your name and address because I don't believe in what you do? May as well sew a patch on your shirt so everyone can identify you.

#14 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

can you give me a hypothetical example of what sort of list I would be on? Would this be a list of convicted tree huggers?

maybe I wouldn't want to be on some sort of public list (depends on the list we're talking about -- I can't even think of a list I'd object to being on, as long as it was accurate and public information), but if the information is public then I guess I don't really have much of a choice, anyway.

#15 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

I thought of a hypothetical example for you:

If I belonged to any sort of organized religion, would I want to be pinpointed on a map of all those involved in my religion?

the answer is no, I probably would not like that -- but on the other hand, if my religious convictions really were that strong, then why wouldn't I?

I can see how such a list could be used for discriminatory purposes -- namely if there were such a list of all Muslims or something.

I can see how that type of list could be asking for trouble, but again, it's only information... there's so many questions in life that don't have definite answers.

I think if I didn't want to be known as a Muslim, and I were a Muslim -- then the best choice would be to not advertise the fact -- but then you could be spotted going into a mosque.

Here's my answer after all this rambling: the second amendment specifically states "for a well regulated militia"

so -- isn't knowing who is bearing arms part of regulating the militia well? I think it's a sound argument. If you want to own a gun, then you are volunteering to be part of a well regulated militia should you be called upon by the government. Therefore, you are subject to any regulation deemed appropriate and necessary.

#16 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

terrible example.

#17 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:59 AM