Photo
- - - - -

260 School Children Killed in Chicago in 3 Years -- Where Are the Tears for Them?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Shit is finally getting real since they've started shooting white children.

Where have all the folks clamoring for gun control and lamenting the killing of children been while this has become a regular event in our inner city neighborhoods?

:cry1:

260 School Children Killed in Chicago in 3 Years -- Where Are the Tears for Them?

What makes the victims of everyday inner-city gun violence expendable?

December 24, 2012 |

Like President Obama and many others across the country, I too wiped away tears as I watched the horrifying news coverage of the tragic shootings in Newton, Conn. I immediately called my children who were still in school. I sat watching the television trying to fathom how I would respond if I got a call that a shooting had occurred at my children’s school. This brought on more tears. But for the parents of 20 children and six other families in Newton, it wasn’t an exercise; it was an excruciating reality.

I then watched and listened to our President, and like parents around the world, the shooting had affected him emotionally as well. Twenty children gunned down. He struggled to hold back tears.

It was then that my phone buzzed. I quickly grabbed it to see if it was one of my children calling back. But it wasn’t. It was a colleague in Chicago. I had emailed her the day before asking for research into one of the mentoring programs in the city’s schools for youth with the highest risk of being shot.

She provided me with the information I was seeking. Then she included a P.S.: “What a devastating horrible day in CT. But frankly I wish people cared this much when it was children on the south and west sides of Chicago.”

I was snapped back into reality with the email. The tragedy in Newtown was truly horrific. But there is similar carnage carried out every day in the streets of America’s cities, especially in the President’s hometown of Chicago, where I work in Oakland, in Philadelphia, and many other cities across the nation.

In 2010, nearly 700 Chicago school children were shot and 66 of them died. Last year, Mayor Rahm Emanuel attended a memorial for 260 school children who had been killed in just the previous three years. On several occasions in the past year, tens of people have been shot in a single weekend on the streets of the city. The worst three-day stretch saw 10 killed and 37 wounded in gun fire. But Google the term “Chicago weekend shootings” and the results are far too many deadly weekends to count.

Oakland, Calif. has seen a huge increase in shootings. Last year, three small children were murdered in shootings. The youngest victim hadn’t yet turned 2. Oakland has become the first city in the country to have its police force taken over by a federal court. Because of a lack of resources, the city has one of the lowest police to resident ratios in the country.

Gun violence in America is a pandemic, but there is no round-the-clock news coverage. No national address from the President with tears. No pledge for urgent change.

Why? Is it because the children who die on the streets of America’s cities are black and brown? Is it because they are poor? What makes the victims of everyday inner-city gun violence expendable?

Like the horrendous shooting in Newton, easy access to guns and the challenges of mental illness contribute to the violence on America’s streets. Like the calls for change in guns laws that have been heard following this massacre, so too do we need tighter gun control because of the death and destruction that touches the hearts of mourning mothers in American cities every day.

Speaking at a prayer vigil in Newton, Obama said, “Can we honestly say that we're doing enough to keep our children, all of them, safe from harm? The answer is no, we're not doing enough. And we'll have to change.”

Mr. President, this is so very true. But it is not only these one-day mass shootings that cause us to cry out for the need to change, but also the daily gun violence that plagues our cities.

“We will be told that the causes of such violence are complex, and that is true,” Obama said. “No single law, no set of laws, can eliminate evil or prevent every act, but that can't be an excuse for inaction. Surely, we can do better than this.”

We can do better in Chicago, in Oakland, in Philadelphia, and in every city in America.

http://www.alternet....-are-tears-them

#2 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

They report on kids (usually not white) getting shot by random bullets in NY (not nationally) all the time.

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

1 or 2 here and there over the course of time doesn't make for the sensational and emotional string yanking available like when a classroom full gets shot up by one crazy fucker.

Forget about white or whatever. This is about sensational story selling with an agenda. Happens all the time.

#4 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I did not dispute that, just stating that I read about kids getting shot in NY and Philly (for that matter) all the time.

And I did add the caveats to include this.

#5 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

1 or 2 here and there over the course of time doesn't make for the sensational and emotional string yanking available like when a classroom full gets shot up by one crazy fucker.

Forget about white or whatever. This is about sensational story selling with an agenda. Happens all the time.

I have to agree with most of this but I do believe that race plays some role in it.

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

I did not dispute that did not dispute that. I was responding to the OP.

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I have to agree with most of this but I do believe that race plays some role in it.

Nationally yes, locally I disagree.

#8 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I think teenagers (14-19 skew this perception)...

Saw a story that says Black teenagers are 2 and half times more likely to be shot and killed than any other race.

Notice the under 14 is pretty consistent, along lines of the other story I posted yesterday.

Posted Image

#9 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,061 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

huh?

Maybe not nationally, but the Mattapan Massacre certainly has received the most local news coverage of any mass murder we've had in the Boston area in some time.

I'm sure if the victims in Newtown were minorities, the national coverage would be exactly the same.

#10 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Where have all the folks clamoring for gun control and lamenting the killing of children been while this has become a regular event in our inner city neighborhoods?

:cry1:

People were clamoring after the Batman movie, after Congresswoman Giffords shootings.

Sounds like selective memory to me...

:picardfp:

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Now if only all the clamoring could lead to a coherent argument and "smart" gun regulation.

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Unless its like a mass shooting or something, we rarely hear about murders happening in the greater Chicagoland (or any other metro area) here in NY/NJ. Im sure people in Chicago arent hearing about the daily murders and shootings happening in Brooklyn or Camden either...

#13 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Now if only all the clamoring could lead to a coherent argument and "smart" gun regulation.

Agreed, but why does the conversation end after a few weeks, each time there is a tragedy?

What is smart regulation?

The Giffords shooting showed the flaws in gun regulation, because each state has there own laws. In Arizona it was a lot easier to get a gun than it is in NY, for example.

Make owning a gun a federal regulation, and make it a federal offense if you do not abide. (Still trying to come up with ideas/solutions).

#14 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

So the federal govt. should once again intervene in state rights? That's fine.

And there is no such thing as smart regulations.

#15 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

So the federal govt. should once again intervene in state rights? That's fine.

And there is no such thing as smart regulations.

Exactly. Hence all ideas are bad.

#16 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

why cant we just control ammo?

#17 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

why cant we just control ammo?

Read my other thread where I tried introduce a tax or regulate or track ammo.

There are flaws in each of these.

#18 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

People were clamoring after the Batman movie, after Congresswoman Giffords shootings.

Sounds like selective memory to me...

More white people killed

#19 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

More white people killed

But there was one white 6 year old shot in Aurora, or does she not count?

It was not real before this, you seem to be paying attention now is the difference (me too btw).

#20 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

And a 9 year old shot in the Giffords shooting.

Christina Taylor Green, 9

#21 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Remember the message of the original rappers? Where did the guns originally come from? Who encouraged gangs to start shooting each other? etc

#22 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

But there was one white 6 year old shot in Aurora, or does she not count?

It was not real before this, you seem to be paying attention now is the difference (me too btw).

I've been paying attention to it for years mainly because I grew up in the "hood" and know people who have been shot and shot at

Like I said, it seems to be the people pushing for more gun control who are coming out of the woodwork now trying to further that agenda.

Where are they when it's blacks being shot and killed? Hell, it's an average of 80+ school children a year being killed in the OP and I don't remember hearing much, if anything, from the gun control crowd.

#23 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I've been paying attention to it for years mainly because I grew up in the "hood" and know people who have been shot and shot at

Like I said, it seems to be the people pushing for more gun control who are coming out of the woodwork now trying to further that agenda.

Where are they when it's blacks being shot and killed? Hell, it's an average of 80+ school children a year being killed in the OP and I don't remember hearing much, if anything, from the gun control crowd.

As have I, as I grew up in hood also, in NYC and delivered the NY Daily news as a kid of 12 until I was 15 when I got a job in a deli. Hence me stating this in my first response.

My point is that white kids got shot in the last two mass shootings, but that did not matter, as the conversation died out, as this one will soon enough.

Your argument is the same used with a missing women. If she is white and attractive the media picks this up.

I think you are pointing out an obvious flaw of the media, but making this problem about race. Which always weakens any argument, because you are arguing a subset of a larger problem.

I feel these are there own unique problems that you are lumping together.

#24 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm pointing out that the gun control crowd remains virtually silent as long as it's not whites being killed.

You can bet your ass they'd be a lot more vocal about it if it were 80+ white school kids getting killed in one city yearly.

#25 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Jack, I think the issue is not white, black, brown, green or purple, but magnetude of sensational journalism.

You dont hear about 1 child hit by gun violence in an inner city in national, long winded bouts of "news" because it will not get the attention that is needed to push agenda like we see with several children slain in a school.

It just doesn't have that same kneejerk reaction factor.

#26 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

I think you are cherry picking and to state again why is not going to help you see why I am stating this, because I already stated why.

#27 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Jack, I think the issue is not white, black, brown, green or purple, but magnetude of sensational journalism.

You dont hear about 1 child hit by gun violence in an inner city in national, long winded bouts of "news" because it will not get the attention that is needed to push agenda like we see with several children slain in a school.

It just doesn't have that same kneejerk reaction factor.

Take away the sensational journalism and take away this high profile case and we still have all the other killings with barely no call for gun control.

I understand what you're saying and I realize this is an incident they can sink their teeth into but I'm not buying that there wouldn't be more of an outcry, or that there wouldn't be gun control advocates making a huge to do about it, if it were 700 white kids that were shot over the course of a year in one city as opposed to 700 black kids. And those figures are from 2010, it seemed like there was even more gun violence than that in Chicago this past year.

#28 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

That's right. Because again, the media is sensationalizing the event and riling up the people who are ususally in slumber about such things. Then they hear about it 24/7, everyone is talking about it and thier version of solutions, etc..the politicians get in on the action, as to be expected. They love making laws for others to follow.

This is the way it works. The media drives the herd toward the proper gate. They are either going into the slaughter line or put out to pasture, or left grazing.

But by no means are the public driving the herd. They are reacting to a narrative driven deep into their skull. Like the prodding of cattle. it's a response thing.

#29 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

This seems like a good site for statistics on Teenage and Child for gun violence, but I can not view the links as my job blocks these.

http://www.childrens...-guns-2012.html

another good site for statistics:

http://www.childtren...org/?q=node/174

Trends

Between 1970 the early 1990s, the homicide rate for teens ages 15 to 19 more than doubled, from 8.1 to a peak of 20.7 per 100,000 in 1993.12 The rate declined steeply during the late 1990s, then leveled out at around nine deaths per 100,000 between 2000 and 2004. Although the rate of homicides increased between 2004 and 2006, to 10.7 deaths per 100,000, it has since decreased; in 2010, the homicide rate was 8.3 deaths per 100,000, the lowest it has been since before 1980.

Trends in firearm-related deaths (homicides and suicides, as well as deaths from unintended injuries) have followed a similar pattern for teens ages 15 to 19, with rates declining dramatically during the late 1990s, from 24.5 per 100,000 in 1995, to 13.1 per 100,000 in 2000. As with the homicide rate, the firearm-related death rate fluctuated slightly between 2000 and 2006, before decreasing to 10.6 deaths per 100,000 in 2010, the lowest rate on record. (Figure 1)

The teen suicide rate increased from 5.9 to 11.1 per 100,000 population between 1970 and 1994,13 before declining to 8.0 per 100,000 in 2003. Since then, the rate has been relatively stable, fluctuating between seven and eight per 100,000. In 2010, the rate of suicide was 7.5 per 100,000. (Figure 1)

Differences by Gender

Males ages 15 to 19 are approximately four times more likely than females to die from suicide, (11.7 and 3.1 per 100,000, respectively, in 2010), and almost six times more likely to die from homicide (14.0and 2.3 per 100,000, respectively, in 2010). Males of this age are also eight times more likely to die from any firearm-related incident: in 2010, 18.4 per 100,000 males died by firearms, compared with 2.3 per 100,000 females. (Figure 2)

The disparity between males and females in rates of homicide generally increased between 1970 and 2006, from a factor of four to a factor of nine. This has since decreased, so that in 2010, males were six times as likely as females to be victims of homicide. (Appendix 1)

Differences by Race and Hispanic Origin14

In 2010, the homicide rate for black male teens was 51.7 per 100,000, more than 22 times higher than the rate for white male teens (2.4 per 100,000). Rates for other groups were 17.9 per 100,000 for Hispanic males, 11.9 per 100,000 for American Indian males, and 3.2* per 100,000 for Asian and Pacific Islander males. (Figure 3)

Among females, black and Hispanic teens had the highest homicide rates in 2010, at 6.8 and 2.1 per 100,000, respectively, followed by 1.2 per 100,000 for white females, and less than one* per 100,000 for Asian and American Indian females. (Appendix 1)

Firearm deaths, which comprise a majority of teen homicides and suicides but also include accidental deaths, were highest in 2010 among black teens (52.7 per 100,000 males, and 5.3 per 100,000 females), and lowest among Asian teens (4.3 per 100,000 males and 0.4* per 100,000 females). American Indian teens had the second-highest rate (19.3 per 100,000 males, and 1.6* per 100,000 females), followed by Hispanic teens (17.8 per 100,000 males and 2.0 per 100,000 females). White teens had the second-lowest rate (9.4 per 100,000 males, and 1.7 per 100,000 females). (Appendix 1, Figure 3)

In 2010, rates of suicide among male teens were highest among American Indians (24.3 per 100,000) and whites (14.2), followed by Hispanics at 8.1, blacks at 6.8, and Asian or Pacific Islanders at 6.3 per 100,000. (Figure 4) Among females, American Indian teens had the highest rate at 11.0 per 100,000, followed by white teens at 3.5, Hispanic teens at 2.9, and Asian or Pacific Islanders with 3.1, with black teens at 1.1 per 100,000. (Appendix 1)

*Note: These estimates should be treated with caution, as they are based on 20 or fewer deaths and may be unstable.

#30 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

My point is there is a big difference between children and teenagers. Teenagers can choose, usually children are not old enough to make choices that end up in bad situations.

#31 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Perhaps a point that is being glossed over is that racism is still alive and thriving in the US?

#32 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Perhaps a point that is being glossed over is that racism is still alive and thriving in the US?

This is 100% true, but why bring race into a different argument, gun control for all US citizens not just the white or black citizens.

I feel this cheapens the argument, and changes the subject.

#33 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Historically the white establishment facilitated access to guns for inner city racial cleansing.

#34 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Historically the white establishment facilitated access to guns for inner city racial cleansing.

10 examples please ?

#35 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Wow, I have never heard this.

#36 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

could be the space aliens again, tricking the white people

#37 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Listen to some Tupac. What do you think was going on there? Another rising similar to MLK & Malcolm X.

#38 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

The same can be said about drugs. Their motive could be several things. But the facts remain, that our own govt. has pumped drugs/guns and in turn, violence into inner city minority areas.

#39 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

The same can be said about drugs. Their motive could be several things. But the facts remain, that our own govt. has pumped drugs/guns and in turn, violence into inner city minority areas.

Yes

#40 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

didn't the space aliens tell them to do it ?

#41 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

You would have to ask these alleged space aliens.

#42 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

didn't the space aliens tell them to do it ?

source?

#43 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

You forgot to add Aids too.

These are all conspiracy theories, and Teo did you really use Tupac as a source?

#44 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Concert Andy what should be used some white news reporter or those actually living it?

#45 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Actually, the CIA has been caught red handed numerous times running drugs into the US.

#46 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Concert Andy what should be used some white news reporter or those actually living it?

I did not site any source/s. I stated that I have now heard all of these (Drugs, Aids, and Guns) as conspiracies, and until this is proven otherwise, I will continue to believe that this is not true. Just like many made up WHITE conspiracies.

Actually, the CIA has been caught red handed numerous times running drugs into the US.

But where were they running drugs too? Source?

#47 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Depends on the era. In the 80s, the gig was west coast. The 90s, both east and west. "Source" in matters of government corruption/illegal actions, requires digging. You don't think they are going to parade or allow "source" for such things to remain, do you?

You can find out if you dig deep enough. For now, being that I have no desire to prove my case, here are some declassified documents regarding the Reagan years of drug running and CIA complacency in drug trafficking.

http://www.gwu.edu/~...BB2/nsaebb2.htm

#48 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,347 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Not for my skeptical mind to now all of a sudden accept. I think it is a conspiracy theory. Just like 9/11 or any other stupid ones that want to be brought up.

But to take your info as actual evidence.

This is about drugs. What about the Guns (the subject of this thread)? What about Aids (another conspiracy theory)?

I do not buy it, but you can.

#49 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

If you do not want to believe, then I can't see you doing any research into the subjects of police and government facilitating/pumping guns and drugs into inner cities, thus you will most likely never explore until it becomes a topic acceptable to mass media. At least keeping such info out of sight enables us to keep waving our flags.

#50 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Fast adn Furious is/was a gun running program. There is even evidence to suggest the US was trafficking weapons into mexico to help a favored drug cartel fight competition.

You can belevie whetever you want, Andy. There is factual evidence to support my claim. Including declassified government documents. Maybe they made them up to give people something to talk about.