#1 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

First of all, happy holidays! :santa:

OK, so i am old and have never gotten a tattoo, but now i want one...i always said if i wanted a specific tattoo for over a year, i would get one...that time is now!

i love ammonites and have a ring i am never without, as i feel unprotected without it...aforementioned ring is now in the shop being repaired as the band broke and i feel like i am missing an arm without it :undecided:
so i have decided that i want a tattoo of it on me somewhere so i am never without it!
i dont know who, where or when but i have made up my mind!

see my avatar? thats an ammonite. it has the added interest of being a fibonacci spiral, too! i want one of those somewhere i can enjoy it but where it wont be in peoples faces...

i am in the boston area but would travel for the right artist...i am not sure i want color on it but i do know:

i hate the tattoos i see with dark lines
i like greyscale tattoos
i want it uber-realistic, like a picture
i want it big enough to see detail but not too big
i want it on my body where i can enjoy it but where it will be somewhat hidden (i have a place on the top of my right calf that is in the running) but am unsure of where hurts more than other places, etc.

can anyone give me artist recommendations or advice on where to get it on my body?

#2 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,209 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

take off all your clothes and let me have a peek, then i will get back to you

#3 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I am unsure of the Boston area, but shop around and do go cheap. Most artists charge by the hour in and around $150 (plus a tip).
Your design in avitar could be tough to nail it exactly and as most artists wil say the - the bigger the better so they can get detail.

Shop around, talk to people you see that have art on their bodies and of course more people here will chime in. If its your first as you say don't rush it. And with the internet just look through artists portflolios. Also think about what you will be doing for 7 to 10 days after your appointment things like swimming and sun and not so good for fresh tattoos. Also if its in a place where clothers will rub on it often think about the first few days after the first appointment. I know there a ton of great artists in NYC some shops like NY Adorned and NY Social club (like the NY Ink tv show) and Saved in Brooklyn. Also check into artists that do Grateful Dead related tattoos as they maybe good at fractal and tie dye like designs. I'd bet Megan Massacre would be cool at the design but shes is tough to nail down an appointment with.. Also check out some art some / any local tattoo conventions from Boston to Ny to Maryland - you'll be able to get some artist names and a look at the art work they do on site.

Have fun -- yes it hurts but only for a bit of time. Then its there forever!!!

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

I think Mark Duhan here in New Milford is a great artist, and a really good dude.

http://www.skindeepinktattoo.com

Last I knew, he a had couple month long waitlist to get work done by him.

Placement's a completely personal decision. Rule of thumb, the closer to bone you're tattooing, the more it will hurt. But you may find you don't dislike the hurt from tattooing. Personally, it puts me into some kinda zoned out endorphiny place...

#5 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

get it where you want it the most as opposed to letting the amount of pain influence where it goes. you'll have it forever...and even at it's worst, it wont hurt that bad.

#6 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Sneakyjack, I hope you mean don't go cheap. A cheap tattoo isn't good and a good tattoo isn't cheap.

Dee let me do some poking around. There's some good shops in Boston. What's your budget?

#7 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Sneakyjack, I hope you mean don't go cheap. A cheap tattoo isn't good and a good tattoo isn't cheap.

Dee let me do some poking around. There's some good shops in Boston. What's your budget?

indeed. price should not be a factor.

#8 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yes don't go cheap. I was throwing out an average hourly rate. From my past experiences.
$$$. You'll own it forever.

#9 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

take off all your clothes and let me have a peek, then i will get back to you

:spank: :lol: :heart:

i assumed that a good artist doing a medium-sized piece would be at least 100, probably more like 200...not that i am swimming in money, but it time now and i want a GOOD one, since it will probably be my only one...

i got into a huge tattoo session with the bartender at T's before the RMB show a couple weeks ago and he suggested a couple artists in the boston area that i am looking into...is it weird to schedule a sit down with an artist? just to talk to them and get questions answered? :huh:

i am thinking that it will need to be like 4 inches tall? but i am not sure cuz i want the detail...

the place on my calf has plenty of meat under it, no bone...i kind of wanted it on my arm but my arms get too much sun in the summer with my boogie boarding and i want it to stay crisp and detailed...my calves get sun too but not nearly as much as my arms...the other area i considered is up near my collarbone but i am too worried about it being too conspicuous...

i have a pic of my ring with a rainbow across it from a suncatcher around the rearview mirror and i have toyed with the idea of getting it with the rainbow on it but i dont want it looking cartoon-like...
i also have considered getting smaller items in the background, like some waves, but perhaps if i love it and get more work done, i can do something like that on another part of my body

anyway, i appreciate the input so far - keep it coming! i am completely clueless!

i broke the news to my mom today at christmas dinner (strict born again christian who thought my being a deadhead was akin to joining a cult :funny1: ) that i was getting a tattoo...she took it well...she kinda has to! i am gonna be 45 :eek: in less than 2 weeks :lmao:

#10 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Dee you should come here and have my guy Greg Fly do it. you can stay here while visiting too! he is a phenomenal tattoo artist and prefers custom rather than flash anyway. his color is amazing and i know you would be lifelong satisfied.

#11 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

Dee, give me a few minutes and I'll run down to my PC and answer all your questions.

#12 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Ok, out of all the work I've had done, the most discomfort I've had was first right under the kneecap, followed by the calf. For me, the more meat, the more discomfort. YMMV, everyone varies. There are differences between men and women when it comes to pain and location as well.

You should absolutely have a consultation appointment before you have any work done. This gives you and the artist a chance to get to know each other, as well as hash out each other's expectations and realities. If you commit to getting tattooed by this person, you'll likely to leave a deposit. Most times for me it's been $20-40. It just shows that you're serious about getting it done and gives him or her the green light to get working. I prefer custom shops, but two of my favorite shops have tons of flash. Both places' flash is done by the artists/owners. They're used in these shops to train apprentices. Usually, they're made to trace every piece of flash in the place. My "regular" shop here in CO has no flash, and is 100% custom. While either on the wall or in a book, artist portfolios should be prominently displayed. I usually study portfolios online.

I did some research, and I'm really liking this shop in Cambridge. They do a lot of American traditional work, which is my style...so I know what I'm looking at stylistically. They do all kinds of other stuff too. Might be a good place to start, their reviews are through the roof.

http://www.yelp.com/...s-ink-cambridge

http://www.pinobrosink.com/

You know how to get ahold of me. Please contact me with any questions or concerns you have, I'd love to hold your hand through the whole process!

#13 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

hi momma <3

http://www.secretsoc...hp?artist=GEMMA

check this guy out- i met him at strangecreek- gooood stuff :)

the best thing to do is work with your artist. sometimes they can't do things, or have great ideas.
but this guy is great.
and i know a great guy in NJ if you don't like him ( www.tomyak.com ) :) (and you can come stay here taboot!)

dont think too much- and don't settle for a cheap artist. You certainly get what you pay for.
remember how shitty my back looked before i fixed it? That's cheap shit.
I use Tom for all my tats- so i never leave a deposit or have to go through the formal steps- but be wary of anyone who charges less than at least 100 an hour.

and def. check out their non-tattoo artwork.
lemme know if you need help.
(Not twisting your arm too much to come here to my artist's shop....)

#14 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

Holy shit. Tom is incredible. What an eye. Dee, go down there. :lol: He's my kind of artist....can switch from traditional to Japanese to tribal in the blink of an eye. What a gem you have down there.

#15 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

Echoing what she said too, my guy here in CO has become my regular guy because we clicked really well...he was able to jump into my head and pull out pieces for myself and for my wife that we were both very happy with, I trusted him to do the background and fill in work on my leg, and it kicked ass. He understood my wants and needs and made it all work well.

#16 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

i just hunted for like 20 mins for pics of what my ammonite looks like and it wont let me post them cuz of illegal extensions :gah:

yeah, i am really getting antsy to get my ring back
the guys said he would have it back by my bday (6th)
he also has to affix the new band (turning an adjustable sterling band into a fixed size one) using a laser so as not to harm the ammonite...every time he said "laser" when i was talking to him about it, all i could see in my head was austin powers "a laaaaaaaser..." :lol:

anyway
i love the idea, brianne
and i love your new ganesh
i actually have only seen the completed version in a picture, i think?
last time i saw you/it in person it was only a newish outline and some coloring done?

josh, i wish you were closer...i could use a tattoo buddy :blush:
i would be lying if i said i wasnt nervous :blush:
but i am pretty good with my pain management
i guess we will see!
oh, and like most of the guys at the shop in cambridge are distractingly hot - young, but hot :devil:

the bartender at T's told me about http://kaleidoscopet...KUS_ANACKI.html

#17 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:46 AM

I'd totally get one with you, and get it done first so you could watch. :lol:

I just stumbled across this chick in Medford...I really like her soft tones.

http://thepaintedbir...&id=3&Itemid=55

#18 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,330 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Tabbooma likes the ones that come in cracker jack boxes ;)

#19 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

I was terrified to get my first tattoo. It hurt a lot less than I thought...it feels like a cat scratch, especially if they do shading. Take some aleve an hour or so beforehand.
I had to get my 2nd tattoo touched up this past summer and that hurt WAY more than actually getting it.

#20 Spel Chek Jimy

Spel Chek Jimy
  • VibeTribe
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

I am unsure of the Boston area, but shop around and do go cheap. Most artists charge by the hour in and around $150 (plus a tip).
Your design in avitar could be tough to nail it exactly and as most artists wil say the - the bigger the better so they can get detail.

Shop around, talk to people you see that have art on their bodies and of course more people here will chime in. If its your first as you say don't rush it. And with the internet just look through artists portflolios. Also think about what you will be doing for 7 to 10 days after your appointment things like swimming and sun and not so good for fresh tattoos. Also if its in a place where clothers will rub on it often think about the first few days after the first appointment. I know there a ton of great artists in NYC some shops like NY Adorned and NY Social club (like the NY Ink tv show) and Saved in Brooklyn. Also check into artists that do Grateful Dead related tattoos as they maybe good at fractal and tie dye like designs. I'd bet Megan Massacre would be cool at the design but shes is tough to nail down an appointment with.. Also check out some art some / any local tattoo conventions from Boston to Ny to Maryland - you'll be able to get some artist names and a look at the art work they do on site.

Have fun -- yes it hurts but only for a bit of time. Then its there forever!!!

Will
It's / It Is
Portfolios
It's / It Is
Clothes
It's / It Is

:jimy:

#21 Spel Chek Jimy

Spel Chek Jimy
  • VibeTribe
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

get it where you want it the most as opposed to letting the amount of pain influence where it goes. you'll have it forever...and even at it's worst, it wont hurt that bad.

Its

:jimy:

#22 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

i only have one tattoo, can't wait to see yours Dee <3 .. i waited a long time to get mine, it was very special for a lot of reasons.

#23 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

thanks to josh, i have decided on an artist to consult with for my first tattoo...she is awesome and is the only portfolio i looked at that made me KNOW she was a good choice for what i want...i think i like her color so much that i already know what i want for a second tattoo :blush:

i cant say what exactly yet, cuz it involves asking a dearly loved boardies talented assistance :heart:

#24 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Cool!

Might I ask the tattoo artist's name so I can check our her online portfolio?

#25 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

dia moeller

she works out of boston

http://diamoeller.com/home.html

for some reason, she is just incredible at birds! :eek:

check out the owl, it literally floored me!

http://static.otherp...mages/clear.gif

i wanted black and grey but with incredible detail and realism, but her color work is so amazing that i may have to go color!

clear.gif

clear.gif

#26 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,411 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

medium_explore_gawkertv_videos_6273.jpg

#27 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'd totally get one with you, and get it done first so you could watch. :lol:

I just stumbled across this chick in Medford...I really like her soft tones.

http://thepaintedbir...&id=3&Itemid=55

I know the shop, never had any ink done there; but I know folks who have and speak well of the work.    It's right by Kappys Liqour Dee - on the Fellsway by Wellington.

#28 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

yup...i know exactly where you speak of...i know how to get there back roads, no highway needed :smile:

i cant wait to hear back from her and to set up a consultation and show her what i want :bliss:

#29 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Very nice!  Really like her colors.

#30 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I know how to pick 'em. :lol:

#31 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

:thumbsup: :jimy: :Tabbooma:

looks like a good fit.

thanks for the spell check too! ;)

#32 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

you won't be getting it from Abigail Van Buren.... if that was her real name...

#33 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,631 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Wasn't it Pauline somethingorother?

#34 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

so, me and dia have been emailing back and forth

she wanted me to send her some pics of what i want and to talk to her about why i picked her and what i expect in a tattoo as a virgin

she got ALL excited when she saw what i wanted and made my decision for me as to whether it was in greyscale or color

color it is! she loves the soft tones even though they are all subtle tones and differences for the most part

owl1.jpg

diamoeller7.jpg

#35 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

tumblr_mcq4q85Z8C1rvonb1o1_500.jpg

really really lifelike and realistic stuff

i am in a bit of a financial pinch right now, but asap i am going for my consult!

#36 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

You're welcome! So glad I found her for you. :heart:

#37 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

my parents are mad birders and she does birds SO well...if i enjoy it i am going to get one for each of my parents...i will let them recommend the birds but i get final approval :lol:

but i want my 2nd one to be a mandala with blue, green and purple tones

but i want a custom designed one (i have an artist in mind)

i want the blue part of it to be waves worked into the design of it...

she has done a mandala already!

diamoeller10.jpeg

i know this one is kinda more of a lotus flower but i like it

well, except i dont like that one black line in it

i prefer the differentiation between colors to be really soft...

#38 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

dia moeller is an artist at the boston tattoo convention next weekend

i am gonna go, i think, to meet her and watch her work

i may even go to the bank first and maybe get a tattoo there!

unless i chicken out

a friend from work may go and if she does, i might go too for a day

i would wear all my favorite ammonite jewelry for her to look at, of course

josh, a full-color tattoo, no larger than 6 inches by 6 inches would be ballpark, how much? (so i have an idea of what to bring with me)

#39 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

Depends on a myriad of factors...sorry. 

#40 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

maybe i will email her again and even see if she has any spots left...

#41 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

Yeah...ask for a ballpark. We'll talk more Saturday. I've had a bunch done in the last year...

#42 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:25 AM

....you get what you pay for....save your money for the better quality...live with it forever....

#43 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,018 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

i am 45 and have known what i want and who i want to do it for over a year now

just chicken

:blush:

the artist i want has an amazing portfolio and reputation

but there is someone else there whose work has my attention, too

wanted to see them both in action, i guess

its worth 25 bucks to me to see/meet them and customers, too

#44 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

chiming in- that artist has some really sweet designs! nice!!!

I have found that once you establish a relationship with an artist, they bring their rates down for you nicely with subsequent appts.

#45 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,640 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

What Bri says is 100% true.