NRA Quote's

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

anything to back that up? because that sounds ridiculous.

varies state to state, but there are "special circumstances" where the vehicle owners can be held responsible. In other words, if the owner was negligent in securing his vehicle.

#102 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I dont disagree with that. It's always externalize the blame. Thats our culture.

don't agree with what? The NRA's contention that it is hollywood's fault? Or that they could/should shoulder some responsibility?

#103 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Richards v. Stanley

A vehicle was left in such a state that a minor was able to take the car....

#104 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

No, your response that if the NRA is going to blame hollyweird and video games, they too should be looking in the mirror.

#105 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

varies state to state, but there are "special circumstances" where the vehicle owners can be held responsible. In other words, if the owner was negligent in securing his vehicle.

Agreed. From everything I've found, it says you basically have to leave the car unlocked with the keys in the ignition.

#106 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Stop perssonalizing all the dialogue, dude. The NATION, the media, the policitians are all blaming firearms. I never sadi YOU were blaming firearms. Although bullet regs don't really say "responsibility falls on the individual."

OK, but please add that small detail when using a blanket statement.

My solution is for crimes that a gun was used, and there is no lead. This would help law enforcement solve more crimes.

While I understand your counterpoints, most (large percentage) of criminals do not think through the crime. And may use a gun that has markings, or bullets that could tie them back to them.

Eventually enough arrests will lead to lower crime and lower gun violence (in theory).

#107 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Also, from what I've found, they rarely find you liable for property or personal injuries due to negligent driving by the thief. this is due to you not being able to forsee that your actions ultimately r would result in such injury.

#108 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

phycology is the scientific study of algae.

psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of mental functions and behaviors.

:thup:

#109 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

OK, but please add that small detail when using a blanket statement.

My solution is for crimes that a gun was used, and there is no lead. This would help law enforcement solve more crimes.

While I understand your counterpoints, most (large percentage) of criminals do not think through the crime. And may use a gun that has markings, or bullets that could tie them back to them.

Eventually enough arrests will lead to lower crime and lower gun violence (in theory).

How many criminals do you think are using guns that are legally registered to them?

There's not a doubt in my mind that at least 90-95% of the crimes committed are committed with stolen weapons.

#110 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

How many criminals do you think are using guns that are legally registered to them?

There's not a doubt in my mind that at least 90-95% of the crimes committed are committed with stolen weapons.

Why dont you do some research instead of assuming it is that high?

I highly doubt the percentage is that high.

Not saying I do not agree in general, but I think that is another blanket statement.

#111 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

95% of guns used in a crime are stolen you say? That tells me that too many irresponsible people have access to guns, or maybe they have too many to keep track of.

If you can't guard your own guns, well, then there's a problem.

#112 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

phycology is the scientific study of algae.

psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of mental functions and behaviors.

:thup:

Yes, thank you for your input jimy

#113 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Most murders, the murderer knew the victim. 67% of all murders are done so by gun.

In these cases I believe their are more licensed gun users committing crimes of passion that we are overlooking.

this is the basis for this, and I can not find anything showing stats of this on the internet.

#114 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

95% of guns used in a crime are stolen you say? That tells me that too many irresponsible people have access to guns, or maybe they have too many to keep track of.

If you can't guard your own guns, well, then there's a problem.

I think he is saying that they are black market guns, not stolen.

#115 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

This is the best I could find but that is still a high percentage.

Most guns used in crimes are stolen, either from homes or gun dealers.

Source:
http://www.dosomethi...acts-about-guns

#116 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Another aspect being overlooked, is tracking bullets or markings will connect certain crimes. People who use the same gun for multiple crimes. The bullets or markings would eventually show this and help law enforcement. Linking two or more crimes will be very helpful in finding suspect, since you can probably only tie a small number of people to the locations of crimes. (next level thinking)

Another overlooked, I think a lot of murder suicides are crimes, but get lumped in with stats, and I believe many of these people are licensed gun owners. Which I did not articulate better earlier and I found statistics to back it up. 1,000 and 1,500 murder suicide per year.

It also states that on average 80% of all murder suicides happen in the home.

I feel this number skews all the statistics. Some of these people are suicides, but also took people with them. Where should they be counted? These crimes are solved when the gun men kills him/herself.

Source: http://www.vpc.org/s.../amroul2012.pdf

Medical studies estimate that between 1,000 and 1,500 deaths per year in the United States are the result of murder-suicide.

This VPC analysis reveals that in the first half of 2011—

There were 313 murder-suicide events resulting in 691 murder-suicide deaths, of which 313 were suicides and 378 were homicides.

Using these figures, 12 murder-suicide events occurred in the United States each week during the study period.

Of the 313 murder-suicide events, 280 were known to involve a firearm (89.5 percent).

Of the 313 suicides, 283 were male, and 30 were female.

Of the 378 homicides, 288 victims were female, 89 victims were male, and the gender of one victim was not identified.

Fifty-five of the homicide victims were children and teens less than 18 years of age.

Sixty-six children and teens less than 18 years of age were survivors who witnessed some aspect of the murder-suicide.

Sixty-nine percent of murder-suicides involving a male murderer and three or more victims were perpetrated by family annihilators.

Most murder-suicides involve a firearm In the analysis, 89.5 percent (280 of 313) of murder-suicide incidents were known to involve a firearm. For all murder-suicides:

17.9 percent involved solely a handgun;

3.8 percent involved solely a rifle;

4.5 percent involved solely a shotgun;

60.1 percent involved a firearm which was not identified
more specifically than “a gun” or multiple firearm types;

3.2 percent involved more than one weapon, but one of the
weapons was a firearm; and,

9.3 percent involved other weapons/means.