Autism?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

I know this is a very sensitive subject...but I was just really curious, do any of you know any adult Autistic people? Are they high functioning? Do the regress with time?
Is Asbergers along the same lines as Autism?
So many questions as to why so many of these children are now affected by this. Yet, growing up, i honestly don't remember any.

Just walking through the mall the other day, I watched a few different families that were dealing with Autistic children. It didn't seem easy to do. They were obviously very Autistic. Are there many different levels? Do you know if your child is Autistic at birth?

I used to work with down syndrome when I was a teenager/early 20's before I had my first baby. But they were clearly not the same.

I met the sweetest teenaged Autistic boy not too long ago. he wanted to show me his new puppy. I get goosebumps just thinking about how sweet he was.

What is your experience with this?

#2 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I might be wrong, but i think Al Schnier from moe. is autistic...

#3 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

No, his child is though.

#4 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Aspergers (note correct spelling) is an autism spectrum disorder. You could say it is a high functioning form of autism.

I'm not sure why so many now as opposed to decades before, other than it is diagnosed more often now. From what I know now, but didn't know then, I would assume that my brother had Aspergers. Back then he was just "different"

My son has Aspergers, and I am learning every day about it. We always knew someone was off, even when he was 4-5. After many doctor visits, he was finally diagnosed this year. He is 10.

Mostly Aspergers is a social communication disorder. They just don't get the clues that normal folks get. Anyone who has met my son, can attest, he will go on and on about whatever his current subject is.

#5 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thank you for sharing that. <3

#6 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

i recently saw an article that suggested that the rate of autism goes up as the father's age at the time of conception increases. i think there was a thread about it a few months ago. it is not a definitive answer by any means...and likely there may be a variety of causes as opposed to just one.

#7 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I saw that. I think the average age at the time of conception has gone up over the last generation or so.
I was 47 when my son was concieved, and 50 with my daughter. My daughter has zero signs of autism, where as Nick had many signs when he was 7.

#8 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,914 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I have a relative who was diagnosed as autistic when she was a child. It was difficult for her family when she was growing up. She eventually graduated nursing school, works, and lives independently, but you can tell she's a little off.

#9 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

boys are more susceptable then girls, I guess?

#10 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,644 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

autism happens much more often in males than females
i am a manager at a house with 5 men in their 20's with autism
it is a disorder that follows no formula
some are verbal, some are not
most are somewhere in the middle
a lot of them engage in self-stimulatory behaviors such as flicking and rocking
some do none at all
most do some
autism disorder is a spectrum and no two people with autism are the same so one never knows what to expect when their child is given a diagnosis of autism
aspergers is *usually* someone who is very verbal and very intelligent but unable to follow social cues/norms
at my house, i have a set of twins who both have autism, and they are very different
its very fascinating but i really feel for the families as dealing with some of the behaviors and not having your child living at home with you can be very difficult
anyway, i could go on and on :blush:

#11 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

My son is kinda intelligent, wiz at math for his age any way. Flaps his arms a bunch, and talks a lot. He doesn't do a lot of the other things associated with an Aspy. Some kids will barge into a room that other kids are playing in, and take over their toys, etc. Or they are prone to outbursts. Nick doesn't do those things.
His motor skills are off, he can't ride a bike, his handwriting is very poor. He is very sensitive, esp to animals. He will break out in tears over what anyone else would consider not a big deal.
All that aside. He is a sweet kid. Has friends, is not picked on at school. Wants to be an actor.

A lot of Aspys have reading issues. They kinda guess at words. It was described like this:

When you look at a book, and focus on a word, how many words can you see on either side? two? three? maybe four? An Aspy sees maybe 3 letters. It is like reading a book through a pinhole. "Them" could look like "Then", even worse with longer words. They end up guessing what the word is.
Most people that meet him, just think he is talkative. He doesn't have any real outward signs of autism.

He is the light of my life.... <3

#12 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,981 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Someone I love and whose friendship I value very much displays many symptoms of Asperger's syndrome. I can kind of see it in the generation prior in his family, too. The more I read, the more I realize none of it is me and so much of it is simply wiring. He's smart and gifted in the arts, and thank goodness for Aspie message boards for teaching me so much.

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Top 10 Chemicals Most Likely to Cause Autism and Other Learning Disorders

This year, the CDC reported that autism now affects 1 of every 88 American children, which is an unusually high increase from previous years. Now, we may have some more clues as to what is causing the dramatic increases. The Mount Sinai Children’s Environmental Health Center (CEHC) has released an informative list of the top ten toxic chemicals suspected to cause autism and learning disabilities. The toxic list, recently published in Environmental Health Perspectives was compiled by Dr. Philip J. Landrigan, director of the CEHC, Dr. Linda Birnbaum, director of the National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), and Dr. Luca Lambertini, also of the CEHC. Discover the top ten chemicals thought to be associated with both autism and learning disorders in children after the jump.

The top ten chemicals thought to be associated with both autism and learning disorders in children, include the following:

Lead
Methylmercury
PCBs
Organophosphate pesticides
Organochlorine pesticides
Endocrine disruptors
Automotive exhaust
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
Brominated flame retardants
Perfluorinated compounds
This isn’t the first report to point out that environmental toxins may be to blame for autism. In The Autism Puzzle, journalist Brita Belli also looks at the environmental toxins linked to the autism debate. Other research has linked smoking during pregnancy to Asperger’s disorder and other forms of high-functioning autism, while still other research shows a connection between prenatal chemical exposure and autism. While currently there’s not a supported concrete cause of autism, plenty of other research has also discussed the possible and growing link between autism and chemicals. For example, the Autism Society notes that factors beyond genetic component may be contributing to the rise in increasing occurrences of autism, including environmental toxins such as heavy metals like mercury, as they’re now more prevalent in our current environment than in the past. According to the new report this top ten list, “Is not exhaustive and will almost certainly expand in the years ahead as new science emerges.” The main point of the new list is to help focus research regarding environmental causes of autism and learning disabilities which in turn may help support new evidence-based programs for prevention of disease in America’s children.

+ Environmental Causes of Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (pdf)

+ Autism Society’s Environmental Health Project (pdf)

http://www.stumbleup...ning-disorders/

#14 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Posted Image

#15 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

If I knew then, what I know now....

I never would have given them a single vaccine

#16 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Me neither.
Unfortunately, many schools require proof of vaccinations before allowing your child to attend.

#17 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Based on friends of my parents loosing a baby to measles when I was a young child, I still am uncertain if I would take the risk of not vaccinating.

#18 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Understandable, however a vaccination does not preclude one from contracting the disease.

#19 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

i have read articles which claim that the scientist who first proposed the theory that vaccines have a link to autism had falsified his data on several occasions. i have also read other articles which propose that the link between vaccines and autism isn't there. i am however, paranoid of entities such as big pharma and am highly critical of such claims wondering who might be orchestrating the direction of the research...

#20 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Aspergers (note correct spelling) is an autism spectrum disorder. You could say it is a high functioning form of autism.

FYI the DSM V just came out or is about to & they took Aspergers OFF as an Austism spectrum disorder. This could result is problems receiving services in the future for your son :( I'd ask before you get blindsided by the changes

boys are more susceptable then girls, I guess?

Yes

Me neither.
Unfortunately, many schools require proof of vaccinations before allowing your child to attend.

There are ways around this. Plenty of kids go to school un-vaccinated. You can claim religious objections

and to answer the original question. I think there was plenty of it around when we grew up, but it went undiagnosed in people who were higher functioning. They were the quirky, book-smart kids w/ poor social skills. The kids who were lower functioning were probably classified with mental retardation & out of sight, out of mind. I know when I grew up, moderately to severely disabled kids were either in a special school or a secluded hallway of the school & rarely seen :(

I also think it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY overdiagnosed & the actual amount of kids truly on the Autism spectrum is significantly less than proposed

#21 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I will home school if I have to but this baby will not receive a single vaccine. And my older children will never recieve another one. But this has NOTHING to do with Autism.
Ya know it's funny, I haven't had a single sick child since I stopped them. 7 years. Not even a runny nose. No more ear infections, no more colds, no stuffy noses....nothin. hmmmm, crazy

But I was sort of hoping this thread wouldn't turn into a vaccine debate. But, so far...so good. Keep up the mature talk. :)

#22 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

So these children are "getting Autism" from being alive? SO, it's definitely enviromental. ?

#23 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

IDK. I don't think true autism is environmental. But keep in mind 80% of disabilities are! :nikkiblue: I have worked with some kids who appear to have autism and are just a product of their quirky, anti-sociaL parents - so I guess in some cases it could be? :dunno:

#24 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Mama Kel, things are still up in the air, but my understanding is that they are removing the label Aspergers, and replacing it with Autism Disorder..

#25 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Congress slams NIH, CDC reps for evading vaccine/autism evidence
Written by The Canary Party
Friday, 30 November 2012 11:21

A government health agency director who a decade ago proposed diluting vaccine/autism data was one of two testifiers interrogated at a Congressional hearing yesterday on the federal government’s poor response to the autism epidemic costing the U.S. $137 billion a year.

Dr. Coleen Boyle, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control’s National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, testified that her goal is “raising awareness of the importance of this as a health problem and one we need to address.” An April 2000 email obtained via FOIA shows that Boyle contacted the CDC’s Frank DeStefano suggesting dilution of vaccine/autism data by adding one- and two-year-olds to his dataset – children too young to have an autism diagnosis then.
“Does autism in history predate vaccines?” asked Rep. Darryl Issa (R-Calif.), chair of the U.S. House of Representatives House Oversight & Government Reform Committee. Yes, according to agencies administering the shots; no, according to legislators, physicians and parents filling in the gallery, who reported that their children regressed after receiving vaccinations.

Dr. Alan Guttmacher, a medical geneticist from the National Institutes of Health, defended his highly-criticized Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee. Both Guttmacher and Boyle testified that autism has no known cause or cure, and their only offerings of help were statistical tracking, detection tools, and behavioral therapies.

Outgoing Rep. Dan Burton (R-Ind.) stated that autism has more than one cause, but “the one we’re talking about today is mercury in vaccination and the environment.” He played a video from the University of Calgary showing destruction of brain neurons after low-level mercury exposure (here), and wondered how anybody from the CDC can watch and say that mercury doesn’t have an impact on neurodevelopment. Rep. Burton said that shortly after his grandson got nine vaccines in one day, the boy began banging his head against the wall and lost continence.

When Boyle claimed that since 2001 Thimerosal has been removed from all vaccines given to children, voices erupted from the audience. Boyle added, “With the exception of the multi-dose flu vaccine” but omitted mentioning that the 50,000 parts per billion injected is exceedingly higher than the 4 ppb “safe” limit for drinking water established by the Environmental Protection Agency and that it took until nearly 2004, not 2001.

Article continues at link: http://canaryparty.n...autism-evidence

#26 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), a physician, criticized the wasted research opportunities into familial disease processes. Gosar’s physician sister has a son once labeled autistic. “As soon as we took him off wheat, gluten and milk products, this kid sits, reads, does everything appropriately.”

#27 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

I bet if I stopped eating all those things....I'd be normal. :lol:
I can't sit still, my thoughts are everywhere, I can't even watch a movie.

#28 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Mama Kel, things are still up in the air, but my understanding is that they are removing the label Aspergers, and replacing it with Autism Disorder..

ahhh ok. I've been in this system so long, I immediately expect things like this to result is less services & more money for the state :undecided: I disagree with the decision because Aspergers is very different from autism IMO. I think it should be differentiated

#29 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Oh, I still think it will mean less services...

#30 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Sadly it always means less services. Not sure where you're at but here in NY they are destroying special ed & related services. :( It sucks

#31 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

NH and it is the same...

#32 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

And that is pretty scary considering they say 1 in every 80 children are now being diagnosed with Autism disorders. how will we as a society, withstand such numbers coming up? I really think more research needs to be done as to "why" this is happening. It's pretty scary to think about.

#33 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

take that # with a grain of salt. 1 in 80 are being diagnosed but I could have both my kids diagnosed tomorrow. But yes, as incidences of disability are on the rise, the state & country are slashing services to save a buck.

#34 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,420 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Me neither.

most states have a "religious exemption" waiver you can sign in lieu of showing vaccination records. they don't tell you that, though, you have to "know" about it. it's in fine print hidden at the bottom of the page.... but it's how my kids went through school w/out shots.

#35 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,420 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

and i'm not even religious! :lol:

#36 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Yup.

#37 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Neuroscientists find excessive protein synthesis linked to autistic-like behaviors December 23, 2012 in Autism spectrum disorders

Read more at: http://medicalxpress...linked.html#jCp

#38 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

i have read articles which claim that the scientist who first proposed the theory that vaccines have a link to autism had falsified his data on several occasions. i have also read other articles which propose that the link between vaccines and autism isn't there. i am however, paranoid of entities such as big pharma and am highly critical of such claims wondering who might be orchestrating the direction of the research...

What happened with that guy was that his original study was funded by lawyers who were seeking to sue vaccine companies on behalf of a group of parents who believed that vaccines had caused their kids autism. All his evidence was biased and he later lost his medical license because he falsified this data. All population level studies that look at vaccinatied vs. unvaccinated kids and autism risk find that there is no statistically significant relationship.

And having read all these studies, and having a phd in demography which helps me understand them, I'm still a bit paranoid about the flu shot i got yesterday... but in terms of the MMR vaccine I am definitely getting that for my kid- because of another statistic. 90% of people unvaccinated and exposed to measles will contract measles. 2% of them will die from measles exposure, which is higher than the autism rate. I'd rather my kid have autism than be dead.

#39 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Measles aren't so scary. My brother and I both had them. My parents had them. I think you die from complications from these sort of diseases because of lack of quality care and/or you aren't 100% healthy.

My first three babies had Chicken Pox, it wasn't scary at all. We snuggled a lot and ate soup.
Flu vaccines given to pregnant women should def be studied more.
Our fetal death rates are up 4000% since we started given the flu shots to pregnant ladies. They don't know if those numbers have anything to do with the other but, they haven't even tested the safety of it on any pregnant subjects. No research has been done. IDK, It's all a crap shoot really. :( I prefer to just live life as naturally (body wise) and hope it's the right thing.

#40 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

As for Autism, I see it everywhere now. It seems every other mom in the grocery store is struggling with their children in public. :(

#41 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

My kids had almost all of their vaccines. My younger daughter is supposed to get a couple more, like HEP, but she will not be getting them.

I can't say if there would have been any difference. Maybe they would have gotten Mumps/Measels or Rubella. Maybe not. Maybe my son's autism has zero to do with vaccines. I just don't know, and the people who are qualified to know, I just don't trust.
Can you imagine if the amount of lawsuits if vaccines were PROVEN to be harmful? Yeah, IMO, there is too much money at stake for any truth to come out.

So, going forward, they will not be getting flu vaccines, neither will I.
A case of too little, too late? IDK. Maybe it was just the hand my son was dealt. Who knows?

#42 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

As for Autism, I see it everywhere now. It seems every other mom in the grocery store is struggling with their children in public. :(

that's not autism though. I think we see a ton more 'problematic' kids in public because most kids spend their lives in daycare and then for the 2 hours a day the parents have them, they want to be the good guy so they appease the kids. Plus they don't really have to deal with the repurcussions of that b/c back to daycare they go. But then when they are with their kids, in public, for significant amounts of time...guess what.

Difficult kids in public is not autism. They are kids who are taught, in one way or another, that tantruming works. Whether it's because they have gotten what they wanted several times, or if there are so many inconsistencies with consequences at home, or because the parents don't spend a significant amount of time with their kids due to work & school so they really have no idea how to handle these behaviors. (clearly this is not 100% of the time, but mostly)

Plus we have a generation of kids that are scheduled out the wazoo, with no free time, no time to organize themselves, create things themselves, etc. This leads to kids who don't know how to self regulate their behaviors or deal with unstructured time that isn't all about them.

That is a lot different than autism