guns violence

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#151 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,036 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

yup, you're smarter than me on this one.

FTR - I'm well aware that wiki isn't the best source for information on anything. It can be good for baseline information. You can ignore the Kaiser info if you want to as well because it's probably not as reputable of a source to meet your approval.

#152 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Norah O'Donnell Grills Rahm Emanuel Over Obama's Gun Control Record

(CBS News) "President Obama always stood for getting something done," Rahm Emanuel said on "CBS This Morning."

Co-host Norah O'Donnell, however, pointed out that the pro-gun control organization, the Brady Campaign, rated the president with an F grade during his first year in office for allowing guns in national parks and on Amtrak. She also pointed to a book by Danny Kleinmann called Kill or Capture that quoted Emanuel as being extremely angry when Attorney General Eric Holder said that the president backed a ban on assault weapons.

NORAH O'DONNELL: "I want to ask you about what led us to this point. The assault weapons ban expired in 2004. You were President Obama’s Chief of Staff and in 2009, according to the book Killer Catcher, you were furious with Attorney General Holder who held a press conference in February of 2009 saying that the Obama administration was going to reinstitute, push the assault weapons ban, and that you sent word to Justice that Holder needed to “shut the [fuck] up on guns."

http://www.realclear...rol_record.html

#153 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,360 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

yup, you're smarter than me on this one.

FTR - I'm well aware that wiki isn't the best source for information on anything. It can be good for baseline information. You can ignore the Kaiser info if you want to as well because it's probably not as reputable of a source to meet your approval.

Another example of the shark jumping. I never accused you of pushing agenda, and I was happy to have a discussion where we could find out the proper statistics (or at least the ones that nail down the issue the as best we can) and go from there. INstead, I get accused of pushing agenda. Now you're getting defensive on it.

It's absolutely not worth having these discussions anymore IMO. I try, but it always ends the same way. It's all nonsense. I don't care. Ban this, ban that "regualte" this, do whatever. Have a field day with it.

Enjoy.

#154 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Posted Image

Mr Newell claims he is being ostracized and is boycotting the Tunnel Barn Farm fishery in protest Photo: BNPS

A prolific angler has been forced out of a fishery after complaints from 'bitter' rivals that his unique bait was blowing them out of the water in competitions.

Paul Newell has been told his bread-based bait is now banned from the contests at the lake he has successfully fished for 16 years.

Fellow fishermen moaned it gave him an unfair advantage which led to him winning most of the prize money on offer at the weekend events.

His success rate of 50 per cent in open match competitions has also forced anglers to fish elsewhere.

Mr Newell, 57, claims he is being ostracized and is boycotting the Tunnel Barn Farm fishery in Redditch, Warks, in protest.

According to the local rules, Mr Newell's concoction of mashed-up loaves of soggy white bread is allowed as it sinks in the water and doesn't float on the surface.

#155 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

MMA fighter Ray Elbe tears penis during sex

What should have been a passionate, enjoyable moment quickly became every bloke's worst nightmare, with Elbe suffering catastophic injuries downstairs and earning himself a five-day hospital stay with a severely mangled manhood.

#156 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,360 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Posted Image

#157 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Single pothole damaged 25 vehicles in one day

By NBCBayArea.com
A single pothole in California damaged more than two dozen cars in one day during a recent storm.
“It’s not safe for drivers out there. Everyone is getting into accidents,” Nisha Jethi, one of 25 drivers who had their car damaged by the crater on Highway 4 near Pittsburg, in the Bay Area.
The massive crater on the road left her with a flat tire, two busted headlights, and a day of lost wages.
Jethi said she intends to add her name to a list of roughly 1,500 local drivers who file damage claims with the state each year.
Despite the high cost to the state, it can take several months before Caltrans, the agency responsible for highway maintenance, is able to repair a pothole after it has been reported, according to an investigation by NBC Bay Area.

Caltrans estimates that it should take 10 days on average for maintenance crews to fill a pothole identified by drivers through a service request. But when NBC Bay Area filed its own request, Caltrans took more than six weeks to fill the potholes identified on Highway 101 in San Francisco.
Other drivers are experiencing even longer delays.
‘A waste’
Caltrans records show that the agency has paid more than a million dollars to Bay Area drivers filing claims since 2009.
“Those are dollars that could be used for new roads and making sure the right kind of infrastructure is in place for safety,” said Contra Costa County Supervisor Federal Glover. “When you are paying out those types of claims, it is a waste.”
Although Caltrans denied NBC Bay Area’s requests to speak with a maintenance manager, the agency reiterated the importance of safety in a statement: “Safety is our number one concern as we repair guardrail, median barriers, and potholes on California’s busy highways.”
Records show that there had been several requests for service along Highway 4 in Pittsburg earlier this year. That was before Jethi’s car was damaged from a pothole, which was made worse by heavy rain the day the 25 cars were taken out.
“It’s their problem. If something is messed up in your house, it’s your responsibility to fix it,” Jethi said.
The pothole that damaged Jethi’s car has since been filled. She says she’ll be sending the bill for her damages to Sacramento.

#158 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,505 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

penis

#159 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

that is one handsome sonofabitch!

#160 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,453 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Big

penis

#161 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,360 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Single pothole damaged 25 vehicles in one day

By NBCBayArea.com
A single pothole in California damaged more than two dozen cars in one day during a recent storm.
“It’s not safe for drivers out there. Everyone is getting into accidents,” Nisha Jethi, one of 25 drivers who had their car damaged by the crater on Highway 4 near Pittsburg, in the Bay Area.
The massive crater on the road left her with a flat tire, two busted headlights, and a day of lost wages.
Jethi said she intends to add her name to a list of roughly 1,500 local drivers who file damage claims with the state each year.
Despite the high cost to the state, it can take several months before Caltrans, the agency responsible for highway maintenance, is able to repair a pothole after it has been reported, according to an investigation by NBC Bay Area.

Caltrans estimates that it should take 10 days on average for maintenance crews to fill a pothole identified by drivers through a service request. But when NBC Bay Area filed its own request, Caltrans took more than six weeks to fill the potholes identified on Highway 101 in San Francisco.
Other drivers are experiencing even longer delays.
‘A waste’
Caltrans records show that the agency has paid more than a million dollars to Bay Area drivers filing claims since 2009.
“Those are dollars that could be used for new roads and making sure the right kind of infrastructure is in place for safety,” said Contra Costa County Supervisor Federal Glover. “When you are paying out those types of claims, it is a waste.”
Although Caltrans denied NBC Bay Area’s requests to speak with a maintenance manager, the agency reiterated the importance of safety in a statement: “Safety is our number one concern as we repair guardrail, median barriers, and potholes on California’s busy highways.”
Records show that there had been several requests for service along Highway 4 in Pittsburg earlier this year. That was before Jethi’s car was damaged from a pothole, which was made worse by heavy rain the day the 25 cars were taken out.
“It’s their problem. If something is messed up in your house, it’s your responsibility to fix it,” Jethi said.
The pothole that damaged Jethi’s car has since been filled. She says she’ll be sending the bill for her damages to Sacramento.

We have to do something about these potholes, man. 25 cars assaulted in one day? Who is educating the roads? I say we ban potholes up in this betch. Ban hammer the shet out of them.

#162 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hasbro plans gender-neutral Easy-Bake Oven

By Ben Popken, TODAY contributor
Hasbro plans to unveil a new black-and-silver Easy-Bake Oven in February, following an online petition urging the toy company to market the product in a way that appeals to both boys and girls.
Hasbro, which said it already had the new color scheme in the works, on Monday invited 13-year-old McKenna Pope of Garfield, N.J., and her family to check out the new design at the company's Pawtucket, R.I., headquarters. Pope's Change.org petition, asking Hasbro to make an Easy-Bake Oven in colors other than the "gender-role specific" pink and purple and to feature boys on the packaging and in its marketing materials, garnered 44,000-plus signatures, including celebrity chefs. She started the petition after noticing her 4-year-old brother Gavyn Boscio's interest in cooking. When she went to shop for an Easy-Bake Oven for him, she was bothered that the design and box seemed to focus solely on girls.
"I feel that this sends a clear message: women cook, men work," Pope wrote in her petition description.

"We value input from our consumers and given the widespread interest in McKenna Pope’s story, we extended an invitation to McKenna and her family to visit Hasbro and meet with our EASY-BAKE team," Hasbro's vice president of global brands and publicity, Julie Duffy, told TODAY. During the visit, Duffy said Hasbro showed Pope and her family the new black-and-silver Easy-Bake Oven design the company has had in development for the past 18 months. The design is set to be revealed for the first time at the New York Toy Fair in February 2013.
When asked whether Hasbro would feature boys in the marketing for the toy, Duffy told TODAY that all of the 2013 marketing plans for all its brands are still in development.
Pope told the Associated Press that her younger brother pronounced the new design "awesome." She could not be reached directly for comment, as she in school.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Teenager McKenna Pope's YouTube video in which she and her little brother ask Hasbro to make a gender-neutral Easy-Bake Oven.

#163 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Man shot nail into brain and didn't know it

ORLAND PARK, Ill. — Gail Glaenzer still can't believe that her fiance unknowingly shot a nail into his skull, let alone that he posted a picture of the X-ray on Facebook during his ambulance ride between hospitals for surgery.
But she was joking about the circumstances Friday, a day after doctors successfully removed the 3.25-inch(8.25-centimeter) nail from Dante Autullo's brain.
"Dante says, 'I want it, to make a necklace out of it,'" Glaenzger said.
Glaenzer sat Friday in the lobby of Advocate Christ Medical Center, where Autullo, 32, was listed in fair condition in the hospital's intensive care unit. She was still trying to process just how lucky the father of her four children was.
"He feels good. He moved all his limbs, he's talking normal, he remembers everything," said Glaenzer, 33. "It's amazing, a miracle."
Autullo was in his workshop using the nail gun Tuesday when it recoiled near his head, Glaenzer said.
He felt what he thought was the point of the gun hit his head. But what really happened was that when the gun came in contact with his head, the sensor recognized a flat surface and fired, she said.

#164 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

(4:00 pm today) Double shooting at apartments off Martin Road

#165 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Tuesday (12/18) Sikeston man shot dead at Cape Girardeau nightclub

#166 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Wednesday (12/19) Man found shot dead in idling pickup

#167 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Tuesday (12/18) NOPD: Man found shot to death in St. Claude neighborhood

#168 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Wednesday (12/19) Chester shootings leave 2 men dead

#169 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

So if this country is so violent and other countries firearm policies are more to your liking, why stay?

Indians scattered on dawn's highway bleeding
Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind.

Me and my -ah- mother and father - and a
Grandmother and a grandfather - were driving through
The desert, at dawn, and a truck load of Indian
Workers had either hit another car, or just - I don't
Know what happened - but there were Indians scattered
All over the highway, bleeding to death.

So the car pulls up and stops. That was the first time
I tasted fear. I musta' been about four - like a child is
Like a flower, his head is just floating in the
Breeze, man.
The reaction I get now thinking about it, looking
Back - is that the souls of the ghosts of those dead
Indians...maybe one or two of 'em...were just
Running around freaking out, and just leaped into my
Soul. And they're still in there.

Indians scattered on dawn's highway bleeding
Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind.

Blood in the streets in the town of New Haven
Blood stains the roofs and the palm trees of Venice
Blood in my love in the terrible summer
Bloody red sun of Phantastic L.A.

Blood screams her brain as they chop off her fingers
Blood will be born in the birth if a nation
Blood is the rose of mysterious union
Blood on the rise, it's following me.

Indian, Indian what did you die for?
Indian says, nothing at all.

#170 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Tuesday (12/18) Man found shot dead in Richmond city street

#171 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,036 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

Another example of the shark jumping. I never accused you of pushing agenda, and I was happy to have a discussion where we could find out the proper statistics (or at least the ones that nail down the issue the as best we can) and go from there. INstead, I get accused of pushing agenda. Now you're getting defensive on it.

It's absolutely not worth having these discussions anymore IMO. I try, but it always ends the same way. It's all nonsense. I don't care. Ban this, ban that "regualte" this, do whatever. Have a field day with it.

Enjoy.

Really Dave? You were happy to have a discussion on gun policy with someone who had a different opinion than yours?

Man, sorry for getting defensive and fucking the thread up such that you felt the thread now would be best served by posting pictures of a brother with an epic afro.

I'm also really sorry for presenting stats that were unworthy of discussion.

I feel like an idiot now. It should have been obvious to me that you were willing to have a discussion on gun policy with people who have a differing opinion from yours.

"Notice most of your shootings took place in victim zones, PF."

"They were both breaking and entering. Regardless of being armed, they were breaking the law and the shooters protected themselves and their private property. There are lists miles long, where people use firearms for self defense. To the tune of 2.5 million incidents a year. This thread is about pushing for something that will not change anything. It's treating a symptom as the disease. We tried it already and it failed. But, hey! Lets give it another whirl in the name of feelings."

"Yes, you can. If an intruder breaks into your home, you have the right to defend yourself/family and your property. Including lethal force. Unless you prefer a country where criminals get to run roughshod over people. Just remember, the police are always minutes away when seconds count."

"So try karate on the armed robber? :lmao:"
"Go ahead and cower in the corner. It's not a decision anyone of us should make for everyone else. If cowering in the corner and being violated is your thing, go ahead. It's not your place to tell anyone else they shoud do the same."

"Um, yeah. Okie."

"Like i said, go cower in the corner when someone else comes in to violate you. That's your business. Others would prefer the opportuntiy to defend themselves. It's no business of yours at all. In fact, it's a complete nunya. Maybe you could ask a violent perp to show mercy because you dont believe in violence. They love that kind of weak talk, I've read. :jimy:"

"I wasn't referring to those stories. Either way, those breaking and entering should know that someone defending their property or themselves may be waiting on the other side of those walls. Shoud have probably not tried to violate someone else. :jimy:"

"All fine and good. That's your perogative. Should everyone else live by your view on it?"

"My view is not to infringe on the constitutional rights of others. It's not my place, nor your to decide which firearms are "needed" and which ones are not.

Sprinkler systems aren't "needed" until a fire occurs. That doesn't make them any less desirable."

"Hoagie, you're being idealist in this. If someone is going to violate you, you have the choice to be violated. That's your choice. Make sure if this ever happens, everyone else around may know to just let it happen. And defense is certainly not the problem."

"And yet, it's still nobody elses business what someone chooses to use for home defense, or business defense, etc... we have inherent inalienable rights. One of which is the right to keep and bear arms. That isn't a demand, you can choose not to want/own one. Your call."

"If you say so, Hoagie. That's a mighty fine opinion."

"So we've got Hoag cowering in the corner, telling everyone to leave the situation alone. Violence begets violence. We've got that part covered. :lol:"

"Bring a tazer to a gun fight and find out."

"OK, go with that then. Get a tazer. My constitutional inalienable right allows me to own/bear firearms. See, we can agree to leave each others opinion and option intact."

#172 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,036 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

Yup, definitely seems like you were happy to have a discussion on gun policy with anyone who shared a different opinion from yours. Your dialect screams, "Let's talk and compromise."

#173 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,360 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'm not making laws, dude. Neither are you. Those comments were not responses to statistical data regarding world wide firearm restriction and whether the correlation can be made that tough regulations lower gun related crimes.

Nor were they in regard to anything we "tried" to discuss. Another jump of the shark.

You win, man. I'm totally wrong. The epic correlation between guns laws and gun crime is clear from the wiki article. The same as it is abundantly clear that Australia is a wonderful case study for us to base our laws.

Yup, definitely man! Definitely!

Jeebus.

#174 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Still upset over this.

Looking at these beautiful angels photos and funerals is almost to much. :cry1:

:heart:

#175 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Another shooting:

Four killed, including gunman, in shooting incident in Pennsylvania; three troopers injured

#176 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Another shooting:

Four killed, including gunman, in shooting incident in Pennsylvania; three troopers injured

These are the types of shootings my ideas are meant to curb. I do not know any details, but innocent by standers were killed. Completely innocent victims.

#177 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

they don't stop happening, Andy. For my own personal mental health, I had to stop paying attention for a while.

#178 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Friday (12/21) Gunman kills woman at Pa. church, 2 men elsewhere

#179 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

they don't stop happening, Andy. For my own personal mental health, I had to stop paying attention for a while.

I hear ya.

It was worth the try even if I came off like a jerk or was wrong or unaware of the nuances to everything.

#180 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

they say "don't focus on the tool"

well, if I show up to work without any tools, I get sent home because I can't do the job.

in other words -- the tools matter.

and if you don't believe that, try hunting with a bat, a car, or a knife.

#181 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

If baseball bats are such effective murder weapons, why does anyone need a gun?

#182 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

(21 minutes ago) ‘Trap was set’ for firefighters shot and killed responding to Webster, N.Y. fire, police chief says