Vegetarian dish to bring to party

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'm bored, I need ideas. I'm going to a friends birthday party and was asked to bring something vegetarian, and I would also like to bring something to the Christmas Eve party. I might go with spinach artichoke dip for this weekend, but my sister in law already does something similar for christmas. Ideas please, I'm bored with my standbys.

#2 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,844 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

How about latkes?

Or stuffed mushrooms?

Or falafel with dipping sauce (minus the pita - it's a great finger food)

Mini quiches?

#3 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,674 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

pickle some veggies with garlic and some "Italian seasoning" - that is what i do for 1/2 of the annual anti pasta platter for my family and friends.

if you have a grill pan and a good fan, you can grill off some as well.

clean and cut the veggies, put them in jars with tight sealing lids w/ some garlic and dry herbs and kosher salt

boil a 2 part vinegar one part water mix and pour in to the jars.
close and refrigerate for a week.
add some home roasted red peppers

Cauliflower
Celery
Carrots
String Beans
Mushrooms
Fennel
Peppers
Asparagus
Steamed Radishes

Grilled
Yellow Squash
Zucchini
Egg Plant
Asparagus
Mushrooms
Radicchio
Endive
Fennel
String Beans
Peppers

#4 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

I'm going to give a shot at latkes tonight- i"ve never made them before. Those could be fun with different dipping sauces too, right?

I was also thinking maybe empanadas...I like the idea of goat cheese, carmelized onion, and spinach, or mexican flavors too.

#5 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

bok choy salad

#6 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Okay I'm totally making a version of these sweet potato samosa pops. How freaking cute!

http://www.veggiebel...amosa-pops.html

#7 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,844 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

I'm going to give a shot at latkes tonight- i"ve never made them before. Those could be fun with different dipping sauces too, right?

I was also thinking maybe empanadas...I like the idea of goat cheese, carmelized onion, and spinach, or mexican flavors too.

You could defintely make lots of different dipping sauces for latkes... I serve them with applesauce, or smoked salmon and creme fraiche, or sour cream and caviar, or horseradish sauce....

LOVE the empanada idea. I'm going to try that too!

#8 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

So I figured I'd try a shortcut for the samosas and use puff pastry, but it totally doesn't work for me or Jerry. It's too flakey. I'll try making my own dough tonight.

#9 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,674 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Phyllo maybe ?

http://www.athensfoo...?recipe_id=1173

#10 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,442 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Pigs ion a blanket?

#11 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

habanero/jalapeno/pineapple vodka is vegetarian :grin:

for the CT girly gathering, i made homemade habanero/jalapeno pepper jam and served it over cream cheese (could be vegan cream cheese, it's just as yummy if the dairy is an issue) with crackers. everyone ate it up, but if there are some wimps at the party, plain old jalapeno pepper jam might be better for them.

vegetarian chili is always a hit when i make it.

pickles are always welcome. i make sweet and spicy ones, Indian achar pickles, and other varieties and they always get gobbled up.

pecan and sweet potato 'ravioli' in sage brown butter is a good one for the holidays. you can cheat by making them out of pre-made wanton wrappers and it's easy to make a lot of them.

stuffed mushrooms are something i make at every holiday. crimini mushrooms and a good bread stuffing, sometimes with goat cheese added. you can add spinach or another green to amp up the nutrition, or whatever other vegetables you like.

little one bite veggie stacks, with crimini mushrooms as the base?

yum, samosas! when you make it work i want your recipe. :)

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,442 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

bread?

#13 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,479 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

penis

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,442 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Mini quiches

#15 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Thug your habanero/jalapeno/pineapple vodka was a thing of splendor. I could sure as hell try but I doubt it would be as good as yours.

So these are good, Abby really likes em. It's Friday night and we're nowhere to go, so I figured I'd try my own dough. I used the dough from this recipe, only made them half as large therefore having twice as many little samosas. Next time I make them for a party I'll probably keep them the size Aarti does because it's a lot of work to fold them.

I'd LOVE to use the filling she does- it looks delicious! But I'm not eating meat and was specifically asked to bring something vegetarian, so...But doesn't it look delicious?! Used the sweet potato mixture from the link in post 6- made a garam masala with cinnamon, cardom pods, cumin seed, coriander seeds, mace, fresh ground nutmeg, dried chile, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves....I'm going to make a chutney- I'm really hoping these mangoes ripen up by tomorrow but it's not looking promising- I have a pineapple, so maybe I can use that-anyway, the plan is to make a spicy mango chutney with fresh red chile and cilantro.

#16 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Oh and Thanks everyone for all the suggestions- they're really awesome and I plan on making them all at some point this winter. :lol:

#17 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

oh, yum. those little samosa pops are adorable and i would love to try them with sweet potato! i bet they're yummy, and definitely healthier.

i like traditional vegetarian potato and pea samosas with tamarind and mint chutneys. i want to make those into pops too! maybe for the Christmas Eve open house we're doing.

bravo for making your own garam masala. i have all the whole spices needed, but we got some really good Indian spice mixtures as a wedding gift from a friend so i tend to cheat a lot and then just adjust with the whole roasted spices to taste.

now i want samosas and raita!

#18 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

oh and my habanero vodka is really, really easy to make. you just cut up habaneros and jalapenos and a pineapple (and sometimes, a mango or two) and throw them into a handle of vodka that's been divided into two handle-sized bottles and let it mellow for a few weeks, shaking gently every couple of days. you can strain it and pour it back into one bottle before serving, or just buy the brand that has a strainer thingie, like Svedka does, and then you don't need to bother with straining. definitely make sure nobody ends up with a chunk of habanero in their drink though. most people can't tolerate that much heat :rolleyes:

the hardest part is waiting those three weeks! oh and have a couple of bottles of pineapple juice and some seltzer on hand for mixing. it's very spicy-hot and potent as hell on its own, but mixes well. otherwise it's great for shots, if folks like spicy and aren't wimps about stuff. i think you tried it both ways...atta girl :grin:

#19 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

How about latkes?

Or stuffed mushrooms?

Or falafel with dipping sauce (minus the pita - it's a great finger food)

Mini quiches?

I'm going to give these a shot. :smile: 

http://www.chabad.or...able-Latkes.htm

#20 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Those look awesome!

#21 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,442 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'm going to give these a shot. :smile:

http://www.chabad.or...able-Latkes.htm

i am making these tonight, but am adding crumbled bacon and some sour cream on the side....

#22 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:50 AM

Nom nom noms

#23 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,442 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

i am making these tonight, but am adding crumbled bacon and some sour cream on the side....

left out the bacon.  these latkes are so awesome.  great recie!