• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#101 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Also, i am currently drawing EBT benefits so i can eat, as te only job i have been able to find has me up at 2am every morning, yet it wont pay all my expenses at this time. Thank God i have this bit of help right now, its been a very tough year for me financially.

PS i am currently driving a silver Cadillac DeVille (grandpas hand me down) and have a North Face jacket, burberry scarf, and nice clothes (all gifts). Dont judge people.

The point was not people who need it. I think she stated this, clearly.

It is the people who abuse the system that are the problem. People who long for living on the benefits. When they have options to down grade they do not, like the Mac book, instead of down grading to a cheaper computer, while collecting benefits.

To further her argument (which she did tell me), she used to work as a Workers comp employee, and many of her clients were looking for long term benefits instead of trying to get back to work. SO may be her view is jaded, but jees. Everyone lighten up.

What happen to this place being the happy cheery fun place to visit it used to be?

#102 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

penis

#103 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Finally, it got moved. Was waiting for this since page one.

#104 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Theft is theft. But thanks for sharing your opinion.

Les Miserables dude...a story dealing with unfair living conditions that pressure a man into stealing bread to feed his starving daughter, and ultimately how that leads to revolution of the Merovingian dynasty in France...or the French Revolution. Context really matters when you are talking theft, in my opinion.

#105 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Finally, it got moved. Was waiting for this since page one.

Sorry, I was distracted earning a living wage.

#106 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Les Miserables dude...a story dealing with unfair living conditions that pressure a man into stealing bread to feed his starving daughter, and ultimately how that leads to revolution of the Merovingian dynasty in France...or the French Revolution. Context really matters when you are talking theft, in my opinion.

Context does not matter.

He still stole and went to jail for it. Period.

Many people in america steal because they are hungry or their family is hungry does not make it right.

What if someone robbed your house because they were hungry? They steal your laptop and sell it for 200 bucks, and the guy gets arrested on line at the supermarket.

#107 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,859 posts

The point was not people who need it. I think she stated this, clearly.

It is the people who abuse the system that are the problem. People who long for living on the benefits. When they have options to down grade they do not, like the Mac book, instead of down grading to a cheaper computer, while collecting benefits.

To further her argument (which she did tell me), she used to work as a Workers comp employee, and many of her clients were looking for long term benefits instead of trying to get back to work. SO may be her view is jaded, but jees. Everyone lighten up.

What happen to this place being the happy cheery fun place to visit it used to be?

well, you typically won't find this is political threads but there are plenty of sillies in other threads. :)

(and I agree with the rest of what you wrote). I do know people receiving benefits who drive nicer cars than I, have cell phones, and apple computers... who have parents with money.... I think some really do need and others take advantage. it's just the way of it.

#108 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

No worries, but this was posted yesterday afternoon.

#109 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,513 posts

this is one thread
open a different one

#110 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

:lol:

#111 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

well, you typically won't find this is political threads but there are plenty of sillies in other threads. :)

(and I agree with the rest of what you wrote). I do know people receiving benefits who drive nicer cars than I, have cell phones, and apple computers... who have parents with money.... I think some really do need and others take advantage. it's just the way of it.

Agreed.

That is all this thread was about. A lady wearing designer clothes using an Access card. Everything else is conjecture or opinion.

#112 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

this is one thread
open a different one

Come on, you know this is not as friendly a place as it was even 5 years ago. Let alone 10 years ago.

I think that is why so many people have left and do not come back (or post anymore).

#113 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Come on, you know this is not as friendly a place as it was even 5 years ago. Let alone 10 years ago.

I think that is why so many people have left and do not come back (or post anymore).

fuck off.

#114 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

fuck off.

Thank you.

:)

#115 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

fuck off.

:loveeye:

#116 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,471 posts

Agreed.

That is all this thread was about. A lady wearing designer clothes using an Access card. Everything else is conjecture or opinion.

So, it was a lady? I think you're on to something there. :funny1:

#117 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

China Cat, that is over the line. :spank:

#118 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I really don't want to hear a damn thing about welfare and abuses thereof. Until we put a stop to all the corporate welfare and abuse, which is exponentially higher than that of the individual programs. Many people have been utterly duped and misled into demonizing those who need these services. Some of that, I think, stems from some weird sort of jealousy, pounded into their heads by the corporate propaganda machine. Sad, really, that we're so self-centered and greedy that we can't even abide some help to folks who really need it, while mulit-billion dollar, multinational corporations run roughshod over our rights and our system.

So yeah, those who feel it necessary to ridicule and talk down to/about people who weren't bestowed the white, middle class privilege many of us are fortunate enough to enjoy, don't have the same opportunities that most of us do and are cursed with substandard education and living in an "opportunity free zone" can go ahead and kiss my ass.

I, too, am happy to contribute my share to help those who need it. I'm not prepared to sacrifice those people just because there is a small amount of abuse. As I started this diatribe, I'll say again - until corporate welfare is halted, shut the hell up about personal welfare.

#119 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Context does not matter.

He still stole and went to jail for it. Period.

Many people in america steal because they are hungry or their family is hungry does not make it right.

What if someone robbed your house because they were hungry? They steal your laptop and sell it for 200 bucks, and the guy gets arrested on line at the supermarket.

:facepalm: forget it man...

#120 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thank you.

:)

:lol: :lol:

#121 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

China Cat, that is over the line. :spank:

jus trying to bring some sillies :cheesy:

#122 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Agreed.

Thats just it...could have been me. The spot judgement that the person was taking advantage is just out and out wrong.

#123 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

I really don't want to hear a damn thing about welfare and abuses thereof. Until we put a stop to all the corporate welfare and abuse, which is exponentially higher than that of the individual programs. Many people have been utterly duped and misled into demonizing those who need these services. Some of that, I think, stems from some weird sort of jealousy, pounded into their heads by the corporate propaganda machine. Sad, really, that we're so self-centered and greedy that we can't even abide some help to folks who really need it, while mulit-billion dollar, multinational corporations run roughshod over our rights and our system.

So yeah, those who feel it necessary to ridicule and talk down to/about people who weren't bestowed the white, middle class privilege many of us are fortunate enough to enjoy, don't have the same opportunities that most of us do and are cursed with substandard education and living in an "opportunity free zone" can go ahead and kiss my ass.

I, too, am happy to contribute my share to help those who need it. I'm not prepared to sacrifice those people just because there is a small amount of abuse. As I started this diatribe, I'll say again - until corporate welfare is halted, shut the hell up about personal welfare.

I think she stated (and I now) am ok with helping those in need. No where in this thread did i demonize those who need it.

In this one example, the lady looked to be abusing the system. That coupled with 2 friends who do not work, collect unemployment, have fancier things than we do, and have no desire to work is where all the conjecture comes from.

Wow!

#124 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Thats just it...could have been me. The spot judgement that the person was taking advantage is just out and out wrong.

Of course it is. It is a thread to vent a frustration of something that looked fishy. Everyone else ran with that hypocrisy of judging. those things could have been gifts or stuff she bought before she collected UE.

Sorry we live in a bad neighborhood. Living somewhere we can afford instead of trying to live over our heads (which is the ultimate point)

#125 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Posted Image

#126 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Of course it is. It is a thread to vent a frustration of something that looked fishy. Everyone else ran with that hypocrisy of judging. those things could have been gifts or stuff she bought before she collected UE.

Sorry we live in a bad neighborhood. Living somewhere we can afford instead of trying to live over our heads (which is the ultimate point)

Again, why does it bother her so much that unemployed collecting people have nicer stuff? I dont really get it.

#127 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

jus trying to bring some sillies :cheesy:

Silly is appreciated. May be I am the one who is to Cereal.

#128 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

I think she stated (and I now) am ok with helping those in need. No where in this thread did i demonize those who need it.

In this one example, the lady looked to be abusing the system. That coupled with 2 friends who do not work, collect unemployment, have fancier things than we do, and have no desire to work is where all the conjecture comes from.

Wow!

My statement was of a general nature, not necessarily directed at any particular individual here. My apologies if you viewed it as an attack on you directly.

However, as I stated, I don't give a fuck about any perceived abuse until the muuuuuuch, much larger issue of corporate abuse is resolved. Some lady getting $200 a month on an EBT vs some super-rich corporation receiving billions in tax breaks and subsidies. For me, the decision about which one to be upset is a clear no-brainer.

#129 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Again, why does it bother her so much that unemployed collecting people have nicer stuff? I dont really get it.

Who says she was unemployed? I have no idea if she is. You can work and collect welfare (if you do not make enough money).

Because we bust our humps to have what we have, and then you see something that looks fishy like collecting welfare while having fancy things.

I had to tell you this? You could not derive this from the entire post?

I mean lets go over it again.

The lady had :
$800 baby carriage (you can get them much cheaper than this)
had a Burberry hat
had a Kate spade bag

All of these things say high end to me, and to see them using government/my tax money is frustrating.

#130 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

My statement was of a general nature, not necessarily directed at any particular individual here. My apologies if you viewed it as an attack on you directly.

However, as I stated, I don't give a fuck about any perceived abuse until the muuuuuuch, much larger issue of corporate abuse is resolved. Some lady getting $200 a month on an EBT vs some super-rich corporation receiving billions in tax breaks and subsidies. For me, the decision about which one to be upset is a clear no-brainer.

Cool. I felt everyone else was just piling on so you must be too. My mistake.

I agree in theory, just when you see it happening right in front of you, I understand the frustration.

#131 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Who says she was unemployed? I have no idea if she is. You can work and collect welfare (if you do not make enough money).

Because we bust our humps to have what we have, and then you see something that looks fishy like collecting welfare while having fancy things.

I had to tell you this? You could not derive this from the entire post?

I mean lets go over it again.

The lady had :
$800 baby carriage (you can get them much cheaper than this)
had a Burberry hat
had a Kate spade bag

All of these things say high end to me, and to see them using government/my tax money is frustrating.

Lots of assuming going on...and getting frustrated by someone possibly maybe perhaps getting food stamps while living "high-end" just sounds like petty jealousy to me.

#132 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

When folks stop voting in candidates who are in the pocket of these greedy, corrupt corporations then maybe we'll have a chance at getting some legitimate changes in the laws. Until then it seems rather foolish to expect any real improvement.

#133 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Lots of assuming going on...and getting frustrated by someone possibly maybe perhaps getting food stamps while living "high-end" just sounds like petty jealousy to me.

Jealousy? your opinion, but possible, but I think it is more frustration of perceived and possible fraud right in front us. I could be wrong or you could be, but why judge, when the thought process is clearly stated why those feeling were there

Cause that is all I hear, how we are judging and assuming a lot, aren't a lot of people here doing the same thing for expressing said frustration?

#134 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I was only thinking that focusing on the other sperson is what is causin the frustration, as there is no real evidence of out and out fraud here, as I showed usin myself as an example.

Should i go sell my custom bass and Mesa amp for $3000 and downsize to an Ibanez and a cheap Hartke amp just because I cant make ends meet, when i could get some public assistance knstead?

Everyone's life is different, and getting fruatrated with some percieved injustice seems a terrible way to go around living, because you will always end up pissed off at the end of the day. Shit isnt
fair...you gotta do what u gotta do to get ahead sometimes

#135 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,061 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Not sure what you mean when you say 'get the 35% job and still receive public assistance"?

You can still work and receive public assistance. (65% pay cut - 35% job)

#136 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

You can still work and receive public assistance. (65% pay cut - 35% job)

unemployment insurance benefits do not offer 100% salary you were making before you were laid off. quite a bit less, actually.

#137 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

go spidergawd!

#138 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

If you lose your job you draw unemployment. If you're a Wall Street bank, you get Welfare.

#139 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I was only thinking that focusing on the other sperson is what is causin the frustration, as there is no real evidence of out and out fraud here, as I showed usin myself as an example.

Should i go sell my custom bass and Mesa amp for $3000 and downsize to an Ibanez and a cheap Hartke amp just because I cant make ends meet, when i could get some public assistance knstead?

Everyone's life is different, and getting fruatrated with some percieved injustice seems a terrible way to go around living, because you will always end up pissed off at the end of the day. Shit isnt
fair...you gotta do what u gotta do to get ahead sometimes

I honestly do not care, and having fun taking up my wife's fight here.

You should if all else failed as a last resort.

In the cases we are aware of of a friend, she complained about having no money for this and that, then when Daddy buys her a new laptop for 2K, we suggested she downgrade so she could get all that stuff she was complaining about. NOPE.

Yeah it is wasteful energy, but wasting time at work is more fun.

#140 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I don't understand the line of thinking that we can't discuss "shut the hell up" this topic because of other blatant unjusts happening in the system. The thread was about a specific topic. More over, it seemed to be a simple vent of frustration and questioned whether or not the OP was next up to be watching Fox News. I'll never really get why people are suppose to shut up because they have a differing opinion or would like to discuss the merits of a topic through a rant.

it's like saying, "I don't want to hear one word about Umphrey's McGee, until both Bobby and Phil are dead."

It's like a public shaming.

Don't like corporate welfare? Start a thread.
Don't like the military industrial complex? Start a thread.
Don't like the "progressive" tax system? Start a thread.

I see what Andy is saying. It's always a pile on if you disagree with the herd.

#141 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,061 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

OMG...folks please...start yourvown thread about corporate injustice...this thread is about something else entirely...if someone see's someone taking advantage of our tax dollars...that is an injustice also and a crime

So the red army brigade thinks It's ok to steal from the people as long as you aren't a corporation?!? :wow:

No wonder this country is going down the toilet :undecided:

#142 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

so this is just a personal issue that you have with someone in particular.

be careful not to judge everyone just because of a few... that's prejudice and discrimination.

Additionally, I see nothing wrong with keeping a gift and not hocking it. Some people really love Apple, and don't know how to use a PC.

you kind of take away a person's dignity when you force them to start selling treasured belongings. That's what crackheads do.

#143 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

so this is just a personal issue that you have with someone in particular.

be careful not to judge everyone just because of a few... that's prejudice and discrimination.

Additionally, I see nothing wrong with keeping a gift and not hocking it. Some people really love Apple, and don't know how to use a PC.

you kind of take away a person's dignity when you force them to start selling treasured belongings. That's what crackheads do.

One person and an experience in a store.

Sorry if the comments came out as judging, but aren't you now judging also?

Some people like to eat poop. How is that relevant? (To add context to Apple and PC) The new Apple laptop, was replacing a windows laptop. Making excuses for people is also judging them in some way, because you are assuming about them too. Point is she knew how to use it, and if she didn't I would start a thread about how dumb she was.

How could the Apple laptop be a treasured belonging? She got it the week before.

People who treasure things, tend to be materialistic. I try my best to not be this way, but I do fail on occasion.

#144 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image

#145 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I see how the chick bitching about being broke yet keeping an expensive laptop could get you amped up, ill give u that...but im sure if papa found out the laptop had been sold for cash and a cheap pc replacement, that would be the end of the awesome freebies from daddy. I wouldnt risk that...

#146 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

When folks stop voting in candidates who are in the pocket of these greedy, corrupt corporations then maybe we'll have a chance at getting some legitimate changes in the laws. Until then it seems rather foolish to expect any real improvement.

Are you posting in a vacuum?

#147 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Wait... what??? There are really POOP EATERS???

#148 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,061 posts
  • Locationthe Island

unemployment insurance benefits do not offer 100% salary you were making before you were laid off. quite a bit less, actually.

ok..you're right...screw it....let's sit on our asses and not try and better ourselves on the taxpayers bill?

work, get insurance and then you don't need to worry about unemployment benefits...the assistance will help you with food and rent money if you do not make enough

#149 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,471 posts

Posted Image

#150 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,061 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Wait... what??? There are really POOP EATERS???

i'm sure the DHJ had some in some nuveau restaurant with his Vietnamese coffee :smile: