Is this where I turn into a republican?

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#1 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I have always been liberal minded, more libertarian ultimately in that I want to see people do what they want, but I want less government too, since government is mostly ineffective and ends up creating a ridiculous amount of red tape, ultimately standing in the way of free enterprise.

Living in the city, I increasingly see people with Access Cards, food stamps, etc. when I am in the grocery store. Pretty evenly divided between blacks and whites, too, and what bugs me is...every one of these people is dressed better than me. One woman had a stroller that I swear to god was $800 bucks.

I have no issue with helping those in need but how much of America has given up on the whole "working" thing at this point?

I know too many people out of work because they refuse to take a job that is beneath them, yet they stay on 'benefits?'

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is the first of many steps to watch fox news every night? Joker?

#2 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

:lol:

Welcome to the dark side

Posted Image

#3 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,831 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I know too many people out of work because they refuse to take a job that is beneath them, yet they stay on 'benefits?'

I took a 65% paycut once I hit my 6 month deadline of unemployment (insurance).

I would rather work for meager money** than get it for doing nuthin. (so to speak :moose:)

**with excellent and somewhat prompt growth potential.

#4 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I took a 65% paycut once I hit my 6 month deadline of unemployment (insurance).

I would rather work for meager money than get it for doing nuthin. (so to speak :moose:)

I would rather sell crack than take benefits. I'm not saying no one should, but it shouldn't be preferable to doing any kind of work.

#5 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,831 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

people will trade you their food stamp benes for said crack.

#6 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,949 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

If you're not Liberal when you're young, you have no heart. If you're not Conservative when you're older, you have no brain.

#7 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I was also just reading about that guy in NYC who the cop gave boots too, he's not even homeless, he has a place to sleep, he just doesn't work and spends his days panhandling. There are a whole crew of people who live by me who pretend to be homeless and stand in the road and get money. 3 or 4 of them are relatively good looking young white people, 3 showers away from being hot. I'm always giving them mental makeovers.

Anyway, my point is, GET A FUCKING JOB YOU BASTIDS!

:protest:

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,545 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I think you'll be fine considering republicans only talk the game of limited government. They spend just as "liberally" as the democrats do. They make just as many laws and vote favorably for yet more intrusive government. It sounds more like you're taking a rational and logical position on it to me. It probably really hit home once you had to jump through the governments regulatory hoops to open your business (and the expense that comes with it.)

In my experience, it doesn't result in watching Fox news.

#9 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,949 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Posted Image

:lol:

#10 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,831 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

my ex wife seems to have become a professional benefits reaper/monger/getterer.

THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT ROYAL

#11 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,655 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

What is more important to you people on food stamps or Women's and Gay rights, among many other social issues? It's an easy choice for me.

#12 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

do whatever you feel is necessary... but you shouldn't judge others by the way they dress. It might be the only clothing they own, or maybe it was a gift.

#13 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Yes, I'm not talking about people who legit need benefits, that's why they are there, and I'm happy to pay for y'all as part of being an american.

It's the able bodied and otherwise mentally well people who just don't seem to want to GET A JOB.

And yes, part of my frustration does stem from it being too god damn difficult to hang up your shingle and make a living on your own, such that we all have to be like little slaves to the almighty corporate dollar and job producer!

#14 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

over the last ten years in this country we have witnessed a change in the poor. Those ranks now include a lot of former afluent professional's. So does this mean they should give up their belongings and clothing as well as their good paying jobs, or their sense of taste or values? I personally am a disabled vet who lives in a house with a lot of our belongings coming from help by way of family and friends. Does this mean I should not live as well as I can? What I am trying to say is don't be so quick to judge unless you their circumstances. So many people in this country turn their backs on friends and family because of misfortune. These numbers of jobless folk include our own community!

#15 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

do whatever you feel is necessary... but you shouldn't judge others by the way they dress. It might be the only clothing they own, or maybe it was a gift.

Sorry, it was not the dress that bothered me, more the overall dirtiness...they could wear a paper bag and be clean and I am happy. I stopped spending money on expensive clothes a long time ago and happily shop at Bj's and target. All my clothes get bleach on them.

I shouldn't say "mental makeover", I should say "mental deep cleaning"

#16 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,949 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Wonders when this gets moved to Politics and Religion...

:coffee:

#17 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

over the last ten years in this country we have witnessed a change in the poor. Those ranks now include a lot of former afluent professional's. So does this mean they should give up their belongings and clothing as well as their good paying jobs, or their sense of taste or values? I personally am a disabled vet who lives in a house with a lot of our belongings coming from help by way of family and friends. Does this mean I should not live as well as I can? What I am trying to say is don't be so quick to judge unless you their circumstances. So many people in this country turn their backs on friends and family because of misfortune. These numbers of jobless folk include our own community!

I think if you have nice stuff, frankly, you should sell it, same with gifts. That's just me, though.

#18 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,655 posts

Even is Liberal minded as I am I don't think benefits should be intended to maintain a current lifestlye. They should be to help one to survive.

#19 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Hahaha, I forgot there was a place for that.

#20 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Case in a point: a broke friend gets an Apple laptop from her father for christmas. I suggest selling it, getting a cheap laptop and using the money for rent, other things. But no, she wants to keep the apple and lament about not having money.

There are always cheaper alternatives. This is coming from someone who sold her engagement ring to fund her business so I'm not all that attached to things.

#21 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

this is why everyone should get social security from the time they are born until the time they die, and do away with unemployment. Then, nobody can judge others for the things they have.

#22 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

:lmao: of course, because they are entitled to it :lmao:

#23 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,911 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I don't know about the GOP, but you may be veering into libertarian territory here.

swipe your EBT, it's all free ...

#24 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

I think if you have nice stuff, frankly, you should sell it, same with gifts. That's just me, though.

lets just see what you would do if it was you!

#25 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Eighteen years of no tour sure brings out the bigot in some of us!

#26 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

some things have sentimental value, and other things can't be re-sold for the same cost as when they were new, so it would be a huge loss.

on top of it all, I don't think most people expect to be out of work for an extended period. Selling your stuff is kind of like giving up IMO.

#27 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,949 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

lets just see what you would do if it was you!

I think she said, she would rather do something illegal than accept government benefits.

I would rather sell crack than take benefits. I'm not saying no one should, but it shouldn't be preferable to doing any kind of work.

#28 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,911 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

There are a whole crew of people who live by me who pretend to be homeless and stand in the road and get money. 3 or 4 of them are relatively good looking young white people, 3 showers away from being hot. I'm always giving them mental makeovers.

TMI, but panhandling can be a decent racket if you're successful.

#29 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I
would rather be awhite slave trader, but lack the convictions to harm or bring harm to most. The shoulda, coulda, woulda club is always full due to ignorance. Le t me also say I do not believe, that the career welfare families will ever disappear in this country when current trend amongst lawmakers is to take benefits away from the retired and disabled to boost the money flow to such families. I used to pass a lot of judgement myself before becoming disabled, then one day I looked down and found the shoe on the other foot.

#30 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,831 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

In Boston while working a downtown security detail for an outside retail gig.... the head of the Downtown Crossing commission says "hey, come with me... " as he starts snapping pictures of a "homeless woman" I had seen over time for months begging.... she looked like hell. .

So, I follow him as he follows her..... she rounds a few corners and yep... lo and behold a 2011 Mercedes Benz stops, and she hops in.... she is about 65 and obese.

Could it be a fluke? maybe.

I think she is well off and enjoys getting weller....

#31 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

I've heard of stories like that.

Also, one time I took (homeless looking) guy into a restaurant for lunch and he insisted on having alcohol... I didn't buy him the alcohol. I did buy him a sandwich (burger or something) and left.

I don't give to panhandlers any more. This is what I have government for.

#32 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

You seem to know an awful lot about the people you see on the street or in the grocery stores. I mean, I'm friendly as the next person but I would never assume to know the situations or experiences of the folks that happen to be in the line in front of me.

#33 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

it's not as easy as many of you seem to think to just get a job... I'm not speaking for myself, I'm just saying there are not a lot of jobs out there, and should someone go from being able to support their family making $60,000-$75,000 a year to flipping burgers and slinging fries at McDonald's? I admit yes there are people that game the system and take advantage of the social safety net, but I personally am hesitant to judge people when I have no clue what their day-to-day lives are like. Times have been tough and we're not out of the woods yet, a lot of people don't have very many options just yet.

#34 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

I just hope she isn't so busy looking down her nose at everyone else that she doesn't forget to look both ways before crossing the street.

#35 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

it's a good discussion, though... because this is the wedge issue Republicans are currently using in their "Fiscal Cliff" scare.

They divert attention from the people at the top abusing the system by pointing at those on the bottom abusing it.

#36 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

If it's trashing Republicans it'll get more time here than it would if it was attacking Dems ;)

#37 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

#38 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I do believe Romney and his crew suggested compounds for the unemployed. So lets ask any japanese americans over 60 how that system worked out for their famillies back in the 40's.

#39 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,662 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

i cant say I appreciate women with clothing envy. There are hundreds of reasons somebody could have some nice clothes and be down on her luck. Maybe her husband beat her and she took just the nicest closet to a shelter.

#40 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

#41 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

If you have taken the bait and resorted to blaming those on welfare for our problems instead of those on the other end of the cash spectrum who steal more from this nation in one hour than all welfare fraud does in one month, then yes, you are Republican. They too blame the chickens for eating themselves as opposed to the wolves being involved somehow.

#42 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

the poor wearing good clothes, could also be misconstrued as showing whats left of their dignity and pride. Who cares if your bosses took off with all your money for retirement, converted your 401K to their names etc., etc. and in the end bankrupted your place of employment. Hey but why make waves and go after these greedy fucks and drain their holdings to pay such workers. Instead lets call them money hoarders and point out that while they worked had better taste than you. Sort of reminds me of any empire in decline.

#43 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

This book helped open my eyes to how the very very poor could dress so well:

Posted Image

#44 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,949 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

If it's trashing Republicans it'll get more time here than it would if it was attacking Dems ;)

I see what you are saying ...

:moose:

#45 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

While there will always be people who will cheat the system at any level, unemployment benefits, and other government assistance keep millions of honest Americans at the poverty level afloat. Without them, these people would not be able to survive. Working 80 or 90 hours a week at 2 McDonald's type jobs will not support a family of four.

15.1% of Americans live in poverty, 46.2 million. Those people need help. Even if a million are cheating the system, which is doubtful, I am happy to help the other 45 million

I am proud to pay my taxes and support those in need.....

#46 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Bingo ;)

If you have taken the bait and resorted to blaming those on welfare for our problems instead of those on the other end of the cash spectrum who steal more from this nation in one hour than all welfare fraud does in one month, then yes, you are Republican. They too blame the chickens for eating themselves as opposed to the wolves being involved somehow.

#47 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,545 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Corporatism sucks. There is no doubt about it. Whether from one angle or another. Liberty seems a better deal IMO. (P&R, here we come :heart: )

#48 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,949 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

the poor wearing good clothes, could also be misconstrued as showing whats left of their dignity and pride. Who cares if your bosses took off with all your money for retirement, converted your 401K to their names etc., etc. and in the end bankrupted your place of employment. Hey but why make waves and go after these greedy fucks and drain their holdings to pay such workers. Instead lets call them money hoarders and point out that while they worked had better taste than you. Sort of reminds me of any empire in decline.

A detail Kate told me that I do not think she included. The lady also had a Kate Spade bag.

I think the point was in this case it looked pretty fishy.

#49 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,545 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

It was a gift. Someone in terrible Dire certainly needs a 300 dollar hand bag. :jimy:

#50 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,655 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Eighteen years of no tour sure brings out the bigot in some of us!

Oh Jerry please rise up so the bigots will go away :pimp: