The Who, Prudential Center, Newark NJ 12/6/12

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Last night I went to my first concert at Newark's Prudential center. The Who's Quadrophenia Tour. Myself and a coworker went. The traffic was a little congested, but we drove right to the area and easily found street parking a handful of blocks away. Bought a couple of tickets on the street and went right in. The arena had a really nice feel to it. Although it was clearly a big arena, it was well designed, modern, and had a small theater vibe to it. No fenced in perimeters and cattle lanes...just walk right up to the door, go in, and navigate your way to the seats. I liked that there were no wide passageways in front of the seats, all passageways were in the lobby...no aisle standers ever got in our way, wherever you were.

The show was quite fun. They did the whole Quadrophenia album, and then finished the show with 5 or 6 of their big blockbuster hit songs. In all 7 musicians onstage, maybe more. Zak Starkey on Drums, Simon Townsend on Second guitar, and others. They had multiple video screens going in the back, mostly live shots of Pete/Roger. But they very tastefully used old concert video footage of John Entwistle and Keith Moon to the point where you felt that both of those band members were sometimes actually part of the live show. Yes, Roger and Pete are obviously aging rock stars with a little less athleticism and sometimes strained vocals, but I have to admit, they still have "it" and they put on a great show.. What they may lack in youthful exuberance, they more than make up for in professionalism and spirit. Turned out to be a good old fashioned ass kicking Rock and Roll show with all of the bells and whistles!!!

#2 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,007 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

My favorite rock-n-roll band ever. I'm glad to hear they're still kicking it.

#3 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Saw the show the night before. 5:15 really had me missing Entwistle (during the rest of the show). LOVED the moon footage during Bellboy.

#4 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,288 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Nice review, Eddie! Thanks for sharing. I've been hearing really good things about the tour. Hoping there is a second leg in 2013 with an Albany play!!

#5 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,007 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

I gotta get running now, carry the bloody baggage out ...

#6 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'd call that a bargain....

#7 Mr Bo Berry

Mr Bo Berry
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationDerby CT

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

I hope they add dates in 2013. I would love to see them again. My favorite rock band of all time also.

#8 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,007 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I work in an 'otel all gilt and flash...

#9 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

who is holding down the deep end with the ox gone?

#10 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Pino Palladino

#11 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

thanks. it's cool he has continued in that role.

#12 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,078 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

They'll be at Nassau Coliseum in February. Went with my little sister last night. She loved it. Vocals were weaker than at Barclays 'cause they've been playing themselves ragged. They should rest up or have us sing along more. So nice to see Pete and Roger clearly enjoying themselves, having fun with the material.

#13 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

thanks. it's cool he has continued in that role.

Well, he's Pete's bassist for his solo work, so it makes sense he's still there.

He's no Ox though.