Chia Seeds

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I was watching Dr Oz and he recommended Chia seeds. The people of the ancient Aztec and Mayan empires revered chia seeds as vital nourishment. The seeds are non gluten, packed with Omega 3 protein, antioxidents and fiber

I decided to try it and my digestion system has smoothed out and I think it gives me a little high -

I put 2 T in orange juice or water and down it - its like drinking poppy seeds. You can put it yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods.

And......you can imagine the jokes coming out of Bud's mouth about chi chi chi chiaaaaa!!!!!

#2 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

i like adding it to my morning iced tea. we make a pitcher of green tea with some sort of fruit flavored herbal tea added (blueberry, or peach, or hibiscus usually) and in the morning i'll pour a to-go bottle of that and add a teaspoon or two of chia to it. yummy!

and it's great in oatmeal.

back when i was still indulging my sweet tooth i tried making chia pudding with chocolate soy milk, but i didn't care for it. i know a lot of people do, though.

chi chi chi CHIA! i want the Chia Gnome for Christmas...he looks like my husband :)

#3 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

i like adding it to my morning iced tea. we make a pitcher of green tea with some sort of fruit flavored herbal tea added (blueberry, or peach, or hibiscus usually) and in the morning i'll pour a to-go bottle of that and add a teaspoon or two of chia to it. yummy!

and it's great in oatmeal.

back when i was still indulging my sweet tooth i tried making chia pudding with chocolate soy milk, but i didn't care for it. i know a lot of people do, though.

chi chi chi CHIA! i want the Chia Gnome for Christmas...he looks like my husband :)

Funny

- I might try making the Chia Cereal with Hempseed ( I have not tried hempseeds yet!)

....I did see a commercial on TV for a Chia Kitty!!!

#4 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

i recently found a cereal with chia and hempseed and a few other uber-healthy things in it. i sprinkle it in my oatmeal or hot breakfast cereal and it's good there.

#5 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Shelled hemp seeds in sauteed spinach. Soo much win!

#6 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Chia seeds are the new flaxseed where, Next year, we're probably all be tossing ground unicorn horn on our breakfast granola instead.

#7 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,075 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

We just started using chia...good stuff!

Thanks for the tip Kitty :heart:

#8 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

ground chia seeds are great for your heart, and chia stabilizes blood sugars. it can cause dehydration if consumed frequently or in large quantities, but if you're drinking plenty of water you're fine. though it offers some similar nutritious benefits to flax, it's far more shelf stable.

i love unicorns far too much to ever steal their horns for grinding and sprinkling! but things that are vegan and good for my heart and blood glucose, i'm always interested in. i don't really care if they're considered trendy or not.

#9 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I bought Bud some Hempseed for Christmas and have been using them in cereals, soups and salads too! Here's to a healthy 2013!

#10 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

i put 2 teaspoons of chia seeds in 8 oz of water every evening to help with regularity. i let them soak for awhile and get all slimy before i drink them. so far, so good :) i've tried a lot of things, psyllium, triphala, apple pectin, etc for regularity and chia works the best. of course, i have to remain gluten free, pretty much grain free and combine my food properly along with that ;)

#11 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

i am into my second package.  drinking one scoop with water every morning.   at first i was chewing up a half scoop then drinking it down,  but now i mix it and let it thicken. 

Don't let any dry on a glass!

#12 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I like putting them in V 8 Juice

#13 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I will give that a try.  i love v8 spicy

#14 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Anyone try them in soup?  Making a big thingy of soup Tuesday night and don't want to screw it up.  If it matters, the soup will be a mixed veggie soup and veggie stock....sort of watery. 

#15 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have put Chia seeds into chili - I think that soup would work too

#16 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

soup works fine...

#17 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,609 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Went in to the local whole/natural foods market two weeks ago and they weren't there. Yesterday they were with a sign saying it's a new item.

Anyway, bought my first ever sample of em. 

#18 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Went in to the local whole/natural foods market two weeks ago and they weren't there. Yesterday they were with a sign saying it's a new item.

Anyway, bought my first ever sample of em. 

They carry the seeds at GMC also....I'm addicted to them now.....

#19 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,044 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Do not drink a chia seed water prior to going to the dentist...  :bowl:

#20 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,075 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Anyone try them in soup?  Making a big thingy of soup Tuesday night and don't want to screw it up.  If it matters, the soup will be a mixed veggie soup and veggie stock....sort of watery. 

Did you try this?  I wouldn't.....when chia seeds absorb water they get someone gelatinous and that would not be the best texture for soup IMO. 

#21 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I did put some in chili I was making and no one ever knew....have not tried them in soup - 

#22 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Did you try this?  I wouldn't.....when chia seeds absorb water they get someone gelatinous and that would not be the best texture for soup IMO. 

I :heart: typos.   :funny1: 

#23 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Yup and didn't notice them at all.  I think it was last weekend I was complaining that we bought seeds that don't expand and that is when I was shown how they just form that gel around them.  IMHO they did not ruin the soup nor did they add any flavor or cool texture, they are sort of boring in my opinion. 

#24 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Yup and didn't notice them at all.  I think it was last weekend I was complaining that we bought seeds that don't expand and that is when I was shown how they just form that gel around them.  IMHO they did not ruin the soup nor did they add any flavor or cool texture, they are sort of boring in my opinion. 

They keep me regular....and I do think they give me a little high ....(or I have been on a good, mellow happy streak lately)

#25 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

I do think they give me a little high ...

That's all I needed to hear....I'm putting them in everything I consume :bee: :bee: :bee:

#26 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

glad i stumbled upon this thread...i haven't had them in my fruit tea in a while but with the warm weather coming soon, i need to stock up!  

has anyone tried the kombucha/chia Synergy drinks yet?  i love them!  it's pretty much the only bottled drink i buy these days when i'm out.  (i usually have water or tea with me but i'll grab one of these when i see it on the shelf)

#27 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

glad i stumbled upon this thread...i haven't had them in my fruit tea in a while but with the warm weather coming soon, i need to stock up!  

has anyone tried the kombucha/chia Synergy drinks yet?  i love them!  it's pretty much the only bottled drink i buy these days when i'm out.  (i usually have water or tea with me but i'll grab one of these when i see it on the shelf)

I have tried those drinks and for me they are OK.....One of my friends REALLY likes them and her husband calls it her happy juice

#28 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

I :heart: typos.   :funny1:

Where's Spellcheck Jimmy when you need him?!!!

#29 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Where's Spellcheck Jimmy when you need him?!!!

If he sees the way you just spelled his name, he won't be long.   :lol: