Photo

For those in recovery ( and those who drink booze)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Serious question.

If alcohol became illegal tomorrow, and outlawed, do u think it would be easier to stay sober? Would it even really be possible to be an active alcoholic anymore?

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,796 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Prohibition

#3 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,903 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

well there are plenty of people addicted to substances that are illegal today, so I think that answers your second question.

and yes, I'd always find a way to get my sauce on.

#4 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

To clarify, would there be less alcoholics in general if alcohol was not so readily available. While i undersand some will do whatever it takes to get a sip, what happens when all alcohol hypothetically disappears? Would people try to find alternatives? Would they just say "fuck it" and forget all about it?

How far is too far to go for a drink?

#5 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

people make booze in toilets in prison. too far? I'm not sure that exists for some.

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

How long is a piece of string?

#7 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,061 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Wouldn't make a difference to me either way. I'm either drinking or I'm not.

Booze was plentiful during Prohibition. I see no reason why it wouldn't be again.

#8 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,903 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

kinda hard to generalize that one... some people would go to great lengths, some people would cut back or quit if scoring illegal booze was too much work / risky.

people would fall into every category you could think of.

in terms of the lengths some people go to get a drink? personally i once blew up a hospital to make my commute to the liquor store quicker.

#9 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

This thought came to me...

Imagine i am a struggling alcoholic living sober day-to-day. No *poof* no more booze at all anywhere. How long do i suffer before just accepting it and moving on? I might consider filling that void with another substance, but the reason i am a boozer is because for 25 years ive stopped for a 12 pack on the way home from work. I dont do any other drvgs...

I would think that i would just eventually not be an alcoholic anymore. Or would i be xonsidered "recovering alcoholic" even tho no more booze actually exist...

Idk

#10 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,896 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Posted Image

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

:halfstar: approved

#12 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,903 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Posted Image

One of the more tragic aspects of Prohibition was known as the “Jake Walk”— a peculiar, stiff-legged gait that afflicted people who had been drinking Jamaica Ginger, an alcohol-based patent medicine that turned out to have been contaminated with a neurotoxin as a result of the efforts made by the shady characters who were marketing it to come up with a formula that would get by the Dry authorities.

#13 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,896 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I would think that i would just eventually not be an alcoholic anymore. Or would i be xonsidered "recovering alcoholic" even tho no more booze actually exist...

Who needs booze? Would mouthwash and Sterno be outlawed too?

The Oxford group was started during Prohibition, and Alcoholics Anonymous was started 18 months after Prohibition was repealed. Lack of legal hooch never stopped anybody.

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

Are alcoholics "born with it"? I think thats what my original thought is distilling (:lol: ) down to...

#15 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,061 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Who needs booze? Would mouthwash and Sterno be outlawed too?

Don't forget vanilla extract...

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,796 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Don't forget vanilla extract...

A hand full of semi-sweet morsels followed with a bottle of vanilla extract...

#17 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

IMO the additctive personality can exist in a person regardless of what there vice is.
You can drink every day and not be an alchoholic...it all depends on the individual

access/legality of a substance has less to do with anything other then social acceptance of substance abuse.
ie. smoking cigarettes is a relatively socially accepted addition, while hitting the rock after a meal is frowned upon

#18 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

More people would huff paint and boof bath salts.

#19 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

IMO the additctive personality can exist in a person regardless of what there vice is.
You can drink every day and not be an alchoholic...it all depends on the individual

access/legality of a substance has less to do with anything other then social acceptance of substance abuse.
ie. smoking cigarettes is a relatively socially accepted addition, while hitting the rock after a meal is frowned upon

:lol: dinner at George Clinton's house!

#20 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,896 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

More people would huff paint and boof bath salts.

/thread