Photo

OK, I know you guys know I can be emotional...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

i am an emotional guy but surprisingly I've never had any issues with my volunteer. Let me give you a little background then you can advise me. We do ice jump event in Feb. Those who go in the water are called heroes and those that cant are called sidekicks. I cant medically go in so I was a sidekick. They asked me to sidekick a local DJ who was raising money. I did, and I raised $400. The next closet sidekick raised $175. (thanks to boardies for help me raise $400). He and I raised the most money and all was well. I told his wife who works where I volunteer that I can be his sidekick again.
His wife said she'd ask him and when she did he said yes.

Flashforwd a few weeks to Friday. This new volunteer is telling the staff about how he can design a graphic or some other BS. They ask him in front of me to be the DJs sidekick. Do I have a right to be pissed over that? I'm sure they liked the $400 I raised for the ice jump and $1000 more for the walk, right?

#2 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

I can see how it could hurt your feelings, but just cuz you do something one year, doesnt mean you always get to do it. Share the fun...
Like that picture of you cutting a ribbon for something?? maybe that was like a one shot deal too? you know what I mean....

I know they must LOVE you and appreciate everythign you do... I wouldnt take it personally <3

#3 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,091 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

Who asked him? The DJ? I wonder....perhaps his wife never told him that you said you would be willing to do it again this year?

#4 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

No I asked the wife to ask the DJ and she did and he said yes. I'll no part of multiple sidekicks. If I'm not sole sidekcik, I sidekick for somebody else (anyone they ask me to).

Nikki, your post is good. I'll raise money as somebody's sidekick, doesnt matter who

#5 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,091 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

No I asked the wife to ask the DJ and she did and he said yes. I'll no part of multiple sidekicks. If I'm not sole sidekcik, I sidekick for somebody else (anyone they ask me to).

Nikki, your post is good. I'll raise money as somebody's sidekick, doesnt matter who

Ah! I see. I read it wrong...

That said, I agree with Nikki! :heart:

#6 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

Who asked him? The DJ? I wonder....perhaps his wife never told him that you said you would be willing to do it again this year?

My thought was that maybe Ryan asking the DJ and the DJ agreeing to have Ryan as his sidekick never was made known to the folks in charge who asked the new volunteer to be the DJ's sidekick.

If they knew about it and asked the new volunteer, Ryan definitely has the right to be upset. If it was never made known, go with someone else Ryan and make the ice jump event yours!! :jam:

#7 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,091 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

My thought was that maybe Ryan asking the DJ and the DJ agreeing to have Ryan as his sidekick never was made known to the folks in charge who asked the new volunteer to be the DJ's sidekick.

If they knew about it and asked the new volunteer, Ryan definitely has the right to be upset. If it was never made known, go with someone else Ryan and make the ice jump event yours!! :jam:

Agreed. I read the original post wrong! :)

#8 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

Either way Ryan, you're doing an awesome thing, and no matter who you're sidekicking for, you're one of the heroes! :-)

#9 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

The wife was present when they asked. It doesnt matter. I have a few choices in mind already.

#10 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,828 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

Move forward. Stinks but sometimes life isn't fair as we all know. You do good stuff for them Ryan keep it up.

#11 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,095 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

I hear you, Ryan. And what everyone else has said, too.

Move forward. Stinks but sometimes life isn't fair as we all know. You do good stuff for them Ryan keep it up.

This makes sense.

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Those people obviously suck ass.

Scrape em off, Ryan. You wanna save someone, save yourself.

(thats a Scrooged quote BTW)

#13 pixiebug

pixiebug
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I bet they just know that since you're going to do an awesome job anyway, maybe you should be teamed up with someone who needs a stronger sidekick? They might want to save your skills for a different hero (I would consider anyone who raises $400 a hero, but that is just me...)

#14 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

i can see where it would leave you feeling miffed but my experience with this kind of thing i doubt its personal. someone forgot something or something got miscommunicated, i doubt its personal.

#15 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I can see why you'd be upset. in those situations I give myself a chance to feel that feeling, and then I do something positive with it, like make more money for someone who appreciates my talents. ;)

#16 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I can see why you'd be upset. in those situations I give myself a chance to feel that feeling, and then I do something positive with it, like make more money for someone who appreciates my talents. ;)

Tabbooma going into the pond?

#17 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,013 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

I may have missed it, but has anyone suggested the bag of poo?

#18 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 870 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

just remember why you are there
I assume your intentions are to help a cause you care about, and feel good about yourself in the process.

Dont let your emotions, or a percieved slight take away those things from you

think big picture. my guess is that if anyone knew your feelings where hurt they would have taken that into consideration.
even if not, dont let it stop you from doing what you are there to do

life is not fair, and its not a popularity contenst.
you cant control how others act, nor expect them to act the way you want them to

all you can do is take ownership of your actions and do your best

#19 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Awesome, as the event is about raising $ for charity. :heart:

#20 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Okay,

I told them i'm not interested in a 3 person side kick. I wanted to be a solo-sidekick. And since I raised the most money last year, I am putting my sidekick services up for auction. The rule was first person to raise $100 starting that day would get my sidekick services. A young woman who is an employee at one of our other offices instantly donated $100.00 and I am hers. :) Now you boardies just have to stat donating after the new year. :) Thanks in advance.

#21 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Brilliant!

#22 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,013 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Okay,

I told them i'm not interested in a 3 person side kick. I wanted to be a solo-sidekick. And since I raised the most money last year, I am putting my sidekick services up for auction. The rule was first person to raise $100 starting that day would get my sidekick services. A young woman who is an employee at one of our other offices instantly donated $100.00 and I am hers. :) Now you boardies just have to stat donating after the new year. :) Thanks in advance.

That was an even better idea than the bag of poo.

Posted Image