Gift Suggestions For parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,985 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Realistically I'll probably have about $150 to work with. My brother and I could go in on a gift. Which would probably raise to about $400

They love going to Ocean City, Maryland and will probably be there. I obviously cant pay for their trip but I could possibly pay for a couple of their dinners. Should I get something more last than that though?

It's their Golden Annivrsary, I was thinking about getting them 2 cases of Golden Anniversary Beer and making them drink it in 24 hours. Hey it fits my budget. J/K

My mom loves quilting (She's made quilts for Raynequeen, Megmyster, Sunshower and Nancykind) my dad likes reading, cats and baseball.

#2 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

If they're going on vacation, maybe go with the practical route of give them cash towards the trip, or maybe some gift certificates for their favorite restaurant(s) down in Ocean City. It's something they would love, and practical for them to have on the trip.

#3 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,364 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

The big 50.. Very cool. Tabbooma would look into some type of trip or outing you all could do in Oceancity or nearby... Spa for Mom? Any local sports or tours for them both... For Tabbooma's parents we threw a big party with all the family... You'll figure it out ;)

#4 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

For Tabbooma's parents we threw a big party with all the family... You'll figure it out ;)

That's what we did for Lemireacle's parents! :thumbup:

#5 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,176 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

oooh! ryan, i didnt know she took custom orders...can you pm me regarding getting one made? :smile:

as far as a gift, i would maybe just give them an envelope of money, a nice letter about how much they mean to you and tell them to spend the money doing things that they love to do together :heart:
maybe a memento, too, like a nice pic of you and your brother in a nice frame...maybe get all spiffied up and go to a studio or pose for a photog friend...just ideas...:smile:

my parents are on 45, so they are close! :lol:

#6 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

If they go to Ocean City - the Nantucket restaurant is really nice, really yummy on Fenwick Island. We also love The Hobbit - bayside dining at sunset = the best!

A low-cash gift - do a memory book. Get some nice paper, print at the top something like "My fondest memory of x & y........" and have people fill it in & send it back, with pictures if they have them. Get family, old friends, old co-workers. Then put it together in a nice scrapbooking binder. Send people about 3 pages each.

We did this for my in-laws 35th wedding anniversary & someone did it for my Grandfather's 70th birthday. It ends up being so sweet & so fun & costs relatively nothing

#7 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,172 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

By chance is there a copy of their wedding invitation floating around their house anywhere? I had a copy of my parents invitation etched onto glass and then framed for them for their 40th. They loved it. With all the places on the internet, I'm sure you could find someplace to emboss it onto something. Shouldn't be too expensive either.

#8 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,985 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

Good thoughts folks, thanks!

#9 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

for our parents' 50th anniversary all of the kids got together and took them out to a very nice restaurant. my dad was in late stage alzheimers so that was about all we could do (instead of having a party or sending them anywhere, for example). they enjoyed themselves :)

#10 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

By chance is there a copy of their wedding invitation floating around their house anywhere? I had a copy of my parents invitation etched onto glass and then framed for them for their 40th. They loved it. With all the places on the internet, I'm sure you could find someplace to emboss it onto something. Shouldn't be too expensive either.

Thats an awesome idea!!!!

#11 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,053 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

I'd imagine the best gift they could ask for is just you and your brother there with them to celebrate.

#12 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,985 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'd imagine the best gift they could ask for is just you and your brother there with them to celebrate.

I could be there but my brother is unlikely. As a chef in a resort town, it's tough to get away in Aug.

I saw these really nice bathrobes in LL Bean. I could get them matching monogramed bathroobes for them to longue in. They both wear bathrobes and the bathrobes are old and ratty.

#13 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,165 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Have you spoken to your parents about what they want to do for their 50th? When my parents celebrated theirs, my sister and I were all set to throw them a party or send them on a vacation. They said they didn't want anything big like that, they just wanted a nice dinner with the family so we took them to one of their favorite restaurants. As a surprise, we arranged for my aunt & uncle to join us. It ended up being a wonderful day and just what they wanted. :)

#14 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,176 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

the robes are a nice idea! maybe get them custom embroidered with "50 years of love" or the year they were married to this year or something, plus their names?
:clapping:

#15 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

His and hers matching coffee mugs

:coffee:

#16 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,433 posts