Keeping the magic alive

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

So what do you guys do to keep the Christmas magic alive for your kids who are figuring out that Santa etc is not real? Catie is at that point. We have elves - not elf on a shelf - that come every year & get into trouble at our house. She told me a few weeks ago that she knows Santa & the elves aren't real! *GASP* TOOK MY BREATH AWAY (SHE'S ONLY 7) So I gave her the elves & this seems to have salvaged Santa for at least 1 more year.

So now she helps with our elves & has some fun with that, but you can see the disappointment & sadness. Breaks my heart <3 So for those of you with older kids, were there any traditions, activities etc that you started to help keep the magic alive for your kids? This is killing me!

#2 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,087 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

"If you don't believe in santa you will not get any gifts from him.....do you want santa gifts?" That has worked for my 11 year old for the past few years and prolly will forever.

#3 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

LOL I'd rather not resort to threats....although I told her there's NO WAY me & Dad buy all those gifts (I'm always saying 'I don't have the money for that!') so you better believe cause I don't know what happens to people who don't! :lol:

#4 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

eco :lol: He's probably not kidding- he loves to torture girls. :lol:

#5 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

LOL I'd rather not resort to threats....although I told her there's NO WAY me & Dad buy all those gifts (I'm always saying 'I don't have the money for that!') so you better believe cause I don't know what happens to people who don't! :lol:

So you do threaten you just do it with a little more finesse. :lol:

#6 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

We have been doing some gifts from Santa and some from us. Hopefully they (4 and 6 yr old) won't loose all the fun when they figure it out.

Here's to hoping.

#7 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

So you do threaten you just do it with a little more finesse. :lol:

smartass :lol: You've got older kids - help me!! Did they figure out everything at once? Or did it come in bits & pieces? My friend's daughter busted them being the easter bunny 2 years ago but still believes in Santa - how does that work? :dunno:

Cate likes being in charge of what the elves do, but you can see the disappointment in her every morning when Jess is so excited to find them :(

#8 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

mack (9) blurts out things that, in my opinion, are obvious indicators that she knows, but she hasn't outright said it yet, so we play along. it sucks because 9 year olds are impossible to shop for when it comes to clothes and i want her to tell me she knows so she can pick them out. :lol: is that terrible?
she mentioned last year that santa has the same handwriting as me. then, last week, she asked if santa pre-ships presents because she noticed a wrapped gift that said "from santa" last year on christmas eve (whoops).
when she comes out and lets us know she knows, i'd also like to find some ways for all 3 of us to keep lily believing for as long as mack did. wanna hang on to blackmailing her with a call to santa when she's misbehaving for as long as possible. :mrgreen:

#9 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,819 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

This year I told the kids (10 & 7) to limit their list a bit. That we couldn't spend too much. My 7 year old said "Santa doesnt care how much it costs." My 10 year old said "Santa sends Dad a bill for all the gifts."

#10 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

This year I told the kids (10 & 7) to limit their list a bit. That we couldn't spend too much. My 7 year old said "Santa doesnt care how much it costs." My 10 year old said "Santa sends Dad a bill for all the gifts."

:funny1:

#11 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

:lol:

#12 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

:rolling:

who knows, malcom... maybe anonymous will be sending you a check for some pins this year...... :mrgreen:

#13 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

My other kids are now 12, 14 and 17. The older boys ruined it for the 12 year old a while back. She never asked....we never asked. We just tell her that there's magic no matter what. And "How can you say Santa is not real when we see him every year because he lives here in Saratoga" lol like for real, he does. He drives a cube and his license plate says "ho ho ho" and dresses in red and green ALL year.
Does he come down the chimney with a bag of gifts? Nope. I tell them to believe what ever it is they want to believe and that Christmas morning is magical because our family is blessed with the ability to be all together and give eachother awesome gifts.

I never had to reallyd eal with it. The kids took care of it themselves. My oldest never "stopped believing" he just "didn't believe anymore" :lol:
It's a tough one. I guess we were lucky in a way as we kept it up for as long as they wanted. They never ever questioned it and still don't. So, whatever.

I guess I'm of no help. I'm sorry. I'm not sure how I'd react if I had a girl first and she was only 7. <3 Boys are easier with this sort of thing.

#14 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Oh, but now I have a new baby and this will be the first year we'll be "bringing santa back" :lol: My older kids are excited to see her gleem at all the fun stuff she wakes up to. <3

I love that I started over.

#15 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,087 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

Lol, it's not a threat. Once they stop believing in him I'm sure the heck not going to buy them presents and give santa the credit, that would be silly. The same goes for Easter, if they don't believe Jesus delivers them candy then I don't have to buy them candy.

#16 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

My husband always hated giving some made up, make believe person, credit for all his hard work and creativity he gave to the kids. :lol:

#17 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

:lol:

My other kids are now 12, 14 and 17. The older boys ruined it for the 12 year old a while back. She never asked....we never asked. We just tell her that there's magic no matter what. And "How can you say Santa is not real when we see him every year because he lives here in Saratoga" lol like for real, he does. He drives a cube and his license plate says "ho ho ho" and dresses in red and green ALL year.

Yeah I've met the Saratoga santa & my father in law is friends with him. they go to the same gym! :)

I'm pretty sure I salvaged Santa for at least another year. Let's hope for more than that though <3

#18 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Why is it wrong to lie to your kids normally, but its ok to lie to your kods during Jesus' birthday?

#19 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

christmas has nothing to do with Jesus in our house. :lol:

Plus, Jesus was born in late January....;)

#20 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Take your attempt at making people feel bad about their kids and shove it Hoagie....like for real.

Tell me again why you're in here? :lol:

#21 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Its a fair question. :lol:

#22 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

OK, well, I answered you.

Jesus is nothing in our home but a really cool dude who had some pretty cool ideas. :)

Christmas for me is just fun and family, family and fun. I love love love this time of year.

and welp, I lie to my kids often. :blush:

#23 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

I imagine most parents do.

#24 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yea, it happens. Guess I'm a bad rent....fuck it! :lol:

#25 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I definitely didnt say or imply that at all :lol:

Its just interesting. No one wants or expects their child to lie to them. Double standard'd ( but thats part of getting to be the parent is what my mom would say )