IF someone is "mentally ill"

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#51 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

I should have know you people would show no respect for those who are disabled. This is just like the Spunion Steve incidents.

#52 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

The Spunion Steve bothered me a whole bunch even when I found out it really was too much substances and not a disability.

#53 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

fuck Spunion Steve... and don't pretend you know me, or who I do and do not respect.

Spunion Steve is a moron, but would I treat him poorly? Not as long as he stays the fuck out of my campsite. In fact I'd walk up on anyone truly messing with the dude.

I kiss the ass of no demographic... if you can't swim in the big pool, hit the kiddie pool, it's just that simple.

#54 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Might be time to step away & take a little break, Ryan. Your last post makes no sense whatsoever considering the community you're addressing, and will probably offend a lot of "us people" in the process.

#55 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

too much substances can cause and/or bring out mental illness. I dont know if he was addicted to anything, but addiction is a legal reason for disability.

#56 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Might be time to step away & take a little break, Ryan. Your last post makes no sense whatsoever considering the community you're addressing, and will probably offend a lot of "us people" in the process.

Agreed

#57 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Agreed, as well.

#58 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

too much substances can cause and/or bring out mental illness. I dont know if he was addicted to anything, but addiction is a legal reason for disability.

now you sound like my ex "Well, legally I'm entitled to.... " meh.

#59 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

now you sound like my ex "Well, legally I'm entitled to.... " meh.

You know even though I am disabled I still volunteer. It's an ideal situation but I accomplish a lot there. They give me a lot of time off to deal with mental issues and I give them extra time when I can, I'll be in at 830 tomorrow. It's almost all women, I can turn down any duties that I dont feel up to, I dont have to worry about losin my benefits, there's a lot of good reasons to volunteer and I do. I raised $1420 this years Walk To End Alzheimer's. A lot of that comes from boardies and for that I'm full of gratitude. I've had countless medical/social professionals tell me I should be on disabled. I tried to work for years but I'd end up suicidal. I know I take money that I'm legally entitled to but it doesnt mean I dont deserve it. I think if somebody was to balance out me making $12 an hour for the Association it would be more than what I receive in disablilty. I also paid in to the SSI/SSD system for many years.

#60 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

there are usually reasons behind legalities... sometimes those reasons might be outdated... but in the case of an addict - I think it's reasonable to allow an alcoholic or drug addict time off from work to get help, as long as that's what they're doing is getting the help they need, and I'm sure that would be documented as well as tested with urine screening.

it might not be such a big deal if all the person does is answer phone calls, but if that person uses machinery or is in a hazardous environment it's probably the best for everyone's safety to allow that person to recover.

#61 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

You know even though I am disabled I still volunteer. It's an ideal situation but I accomplish a lot there. They give me a lot of time off to deal with mental issues and I give them extra time when I can, I'll be in at 830 tomorrow. It's almost all women, I can turn down any duties that I dont feel up to, I dont have to worry about losin my benefits, there's a lot of good reasons to volunteer and I do. I raised $1420 this years Walk To End Alzheimer's. A lot of that comes from boardies and for that I'm full of gratitude. I've had countless medical/social professionals tell me I should be on disabled. I tried to work for years but I'd end up suicidal. I know I take money that I'm legally entitled to but it doesnt mean I dont deserve it. I think if somebody was to balance out me making $12 an hour for the Association it would be more than what I receive in disablilty. I also paid in to the SSI/SSD system for many years.

I think everyone deserves the basic necessities of life.

everyone has the right to life.

#62 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

...but if the question is about being ABLE to care for the kids....Let's go back the the panic attack scenario....If you can't go out in the world and your kid is in trouble, how can you do what is needed?
I think the availability of direct support may influence a decision about being able to carry out the parental duties.
(yes, I said duties!) :wink:

This has little to do with a judgement call about being a good parent or not. Really, there would be a TON of kids pulled from familes if that was the criteria, IMO

#63 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'd like to send out a personal apology for all to see to Unbroken_ I am sorry. I also apologize to anyone else I have offended. It's not a validation but my nurse practioner cut a critical medication of mine in half and moved it to bedtime. I reluctantly went along with this switch and have been paying the price for this. I have luxary of being able to make big changes to medication, I wouldnt be able to do that as a parent. While I still believe I could be a good father, it would present more challenges to me than I let on.

#64 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

((((((((royal)))))))))

#65 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'd like to send out a personal apology for all to see to Unbroken_ I am sorry. I also apologize to anyone else I have offended. It's not a validation but my nurse practioner cut a critical medication of mine in half and moved it to bedtime. I reluctantly went along with this switch and have been paying the price for this. I have luxary of being able to make big changes to medication, I wouldnt be able to do that as a parent. While I still believe I could be a good father, it would present more challenges to me than I let on.

I <3 you Royal. You just saved me an IM to ask you what was up....

#66 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,878 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Mr. Royal you will never have to apologize to me (for anything on these here boards) and there is nothing wrong with you wanting to be a parent and you'd prolly be a damn good one as you are aware of issues you may have and are always willing to do something about it to better yourself. :heart:

just my 2 cents even if nothing was addressed towards me (cuz I know I can be an asshole most of the time :blush:)

#67 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

I love you Ryan! :heart:

#68 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

ok... I have 2 cents.. . :heart: I hope I don't piss anyone off.. lol.

Basically, UC it seems like your rant really has nothing to do with Mental Illness.... Its more about how pissed off you are at your Ex., Money, And ur worried about how your girls are being raised. Totally Valid.

(Royal, I hope you won't mind if I point this out...) But in reference to what a Mental Illness is really like, is totally evident in royal's responses. Bi-polar/depression/anxiety/schizophrenia or whatever the 'diagnosis' is... is most likely legitimate. It's NOT easy to go get yourself a diagnosis of having a mental illness. You need to have history of hospitalizations for things like suicide attempts or true breakdowns. You need to have poor judgment or risk health and safety. a person might hear voices, they might think your someone your not... there are so many degrees of a mental illness, and Ryan is right.. its really not to be taken lightly.

There are really mild cases, and YES people milk the system. All the time. and UC I get it if thats why your pissed.... but really really be careful to truly see whatever the situation really is... keep your eyes open to a lot of signs that your Ex, really, might be too sick to give your kids the supervision and care they need.

I hate to say this, but, to actually get to your question... Most people with a Major Mentall Illness...Major.... really do Make awful parents. it's true, and you guys can all give me examples of people who are the exception,, and I know there are exceptions, but the fact is that when you have a serious mental illness, and you are without a good support system, it effects your children.

I worked as a service coordinator for 3 years with people diagnosed with a Major Mental illness... And of the 30 clients on my caseload...prolly 100 total in the 3 years) Not ONE.. NOT ONE was a good parental figure. Figure there were 18 service coordinators, with 30 clients who consisted of 'dead beat dads', or 'unfit mothers'... BECAUSE of their mental illness....all in the east end of suffolk county.... 540 people JUST involved with my agency....OK. knock 40 off that total to be fair... Thats its a pretty good base of the 'extreme" cases of Mental Illness.... Extreme, guys... thats what I'm saying....

Chris, Maybe your Crazy.. Maybe your wife is crazy... Maybe your kids are just gonna be crazy... Just make sure they all know how to keep themselves safe. <3

#69 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

hi you guys! :grin: :lol:

#70 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Hi Blue,

thanks for your professional opinion. Seeing as how I'd have to get laid to become a Dad, I dont see that happening any time soon. :happy1:

#71 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

hi you guys! :grin: :lol:

Hi Slarti!!! <3

#72 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hi Blue,

thanks for your professional opinion. Seeing as how I'd have to get laid to become a Dad, I dont see that happening any time soon. :happy1:

LOL.. Meh...You dont have to be mentally ill to not get laid.... lol. Lots of people don't get laid. Your just putting your time in until you find the perfect lay..... it happens

#73 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

ok.. on a really random note.. Ive been listening to Bruno Mars for the past hour... LMAO, I'll admit it.

#74 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

(((Royal)))

#75 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

I saw Bruno Mars on the Grammy's last year and I really liked it.

#76 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Royal you have nothing to apologize for... I encourage contrast and position challenging views.
I feel badly you took this personally and while the cut of our jib is vastly different rest assured I love and appreciate you for who ya are.

#77 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

lol. I'll admit Im not changing him... lol. It's sexy.

#78 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

You guys rock!

Royal you have a courage I greatly admire.

#79 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,756 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

:grouphug:

#80 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

You guys rock!

This. All of it.

#81 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,221 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

:heart:

#82 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

ok.. I'm over it... The Bruno mars exploration is done... lol.

#83 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

<3 I do love you guys sooo sooo much!!!!!

#84 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

Nikki did u see Bruno Mars on SNL?? fantastic!!
Funny as hell... look up on utube

#85 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

#86 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,756 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Buble duets :lol:

http://www.nbc.com/s...-duets/1374390/

#87 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,187 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

Nikki did u see Bruno Mars on SNL?? fantastic!!
Funny as hell... look up on utube

no. Totally in the dark on that, but last night was the SNL special, and it was funny as F!

#88 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

I have struggled with depression most of my adult life, my mom is bipolar, my sis is bipolar...runs in my family like any other disease. It definitely impacts your ability to be a parent, and is one of the main reasons I don't have kids. I would want to be a great mom, and I'm not sure I could. I'm an excellent cat mom, however.

To me it seems like being a parent of a HUMAN BEING is the hardest job in the world. Too many people take it lightly. We should look at it like piloting an airplane--can we trust you to put another's life in your hands? Frankly, I don't think enough people look at themselves honestly before they have kids and KNOW they are not up for it.

People should also stop pressuring others to have kids to fit in, have grandkids, etc. Less kids, less parents. Quality, not quantity.

#89 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,878 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

I have struggled with depression most of my adult life, my mom is bipolar, my sis is bipolar...runs in my family like any other disease. It definitely impacts your ability to be a parent, and is one of the main reasons I don't have kids. I would want to be a great mom, and I'm not sure I could. I'm an excellent cat mom, however.

To me it seems like being a parent of a HUMAN BEING is the hardest job in the world. Too many people take it lightly. We should look at it like piloting an airplane--can we trust you to put another's life in your hands? Frankly, I don't think enough people look at themselves honestly before they have kids and KNOW they are not up for it.

People should also stop pressuring others to have kids to fit in, have grandkids, etc. Less kids, less parents. Quality, not quantity.

fucking...AWESOME!!! :Phishfolk:

:heart:

#90 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

I agree. Large families are not as prestigious as they once were. In the past, having many children was some sort of badge of honor.

#91 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,878 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Oh...and a little doubt (I can't think of the right word...humility?) Is a good and endearing quality in being a parent...

Just saying :smile: :heart: not creepy I swear :funny1:

#92 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Oh...and a little doubt (I can't think of the right word...humility?) Is a good and endearing quality in being a parent...

Just saying :smile: :heart: not creepy I swear :funny1:

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.” ~ Charles Bukowski

#93 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

no. Totally in the dark on that, but last night was the SNL special, and it was funny as F!

sooooooooo did you watch the youtube video I posted before repsondin? :lol:

it's super funny. awnest.

#94 Goose

Goose
  • VibeTribe
  • 605 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

This organization has been in the news because they are expanding to the UK.

http://en.wikipedia....ject_Prevention

#95 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Is it considered a mental illness if you constantly see patterns and kaliesoscopic textures in your normal field of vision, particularly while reading text or looking at water?

#96 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Is it considered a mental illness if you constantly see patterns and kaliesoscopic textures in your normal field of vision, particularly while reading text or looking at water?

:rolling: I hope not

#97 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

You guys rock!

this!! :)

#98 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

"Disability, I earned it and NEED it" :rolling: \

money grubbin cnt

#99 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

my mom was batshit crazy, she couldnt' hold a job from when I was 11 on, she went out on disability for mental illness. Was she the best mom in the world...no...was she a bad mom...NOT AT ALL. would i have turned out differently if I was raised by my father...100% yes...and I would be way more messed up and probably very closed minded about the world .

Now UC you're an awesome father (mine not so much) and I know you're doing all you can to make things right with your daughter, but living w a mom who was mentally ill I leare to have compassion, how to stand on my own to feet (probably way younger then I should've), and how to be responsible (because she wasn't).

I'm sorry you're dealing with this Chris

#100 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm tryin. She's just a jerk sometimes :rollin: takes much, so much for granted.