Nice on the grades and the reward!

#102 Shutterbug

Shutterbug
  • VibeTribe
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Chris I should have come her to vent with you months ago :heart: :lol: :heart:

17 has been an adventure :rolleyes:
last summer we hit the peak of disrespect - and I FINALLY stood up and told her she couldn't live in my house & treat me that way
she moved out and took about 4 months before she wanted to come home - and understood the other side of her choice was to stay her but change her behavior .. we are in the final month of 17 now and she can't wait to move out ... and honestly I'm all for it too
I love her dearly but have come to understand that this is her story to write - I won't always like it but I will always love her

.. but how they hell did they get this grown :dunno:

#103 freerange

freerange
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

like seeing the turnaround
good stuff

#104 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Chris I should have come her to vent with you months ago :heart: :lol: :heart:

17 has been an adventure :rolleyes:
last summer we hit the peak of disrespect - and I FINALLY stood up and told her she couldn't live in my house & treat me that way
she moved out and took about 4 months before she wanted to come home - and understood the other side of her choice was to stay her but change her behavior .. we are in the final month of 17 now and she can't wait to move out ... and honestly I'm all for it too
I love her dearly but have come to understand that this is her story to write - I won't always like it but I will always love her

.. but how they hell did they get this grown :dunno:

I know T... it was just like yesterday when they were 12 (??).

Hey... I just remembered that AWESOME restaurant the four of us hit up.... I loved that place!!

As far as Lynn.... she just got a job at "Not Your Average Joes" restrnt, been working a LOT... with the job she can go on Co-op for School - so today is like her last day of school I think :shocked:

she is in NO hurry to move out... :lol:

gravy train'd. :huh:

#105 Shutterbug

Shutterbug
  • VibeTribe
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

Sweet way to wrap up Senior year - she gets all the school functions while earning her own loot ..
But you'll still be buying a prom dress I'm sure :funny1:

P ~ can't wait to be "grown & on her own" .... lol ... I tell her it isn't all its cracked up to be but she isn't buying it ...

#106 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

gotta say, I seem to be in the minority. I have never caught attitude or disrespect from my daughter. We've never had a fight or raised our voices to each other. Now, at age 20, she's still my favorite person on the planet.

As far as kids paying for/getting stuff: spoiled is an attitude and not always from getting things. My daughter only pays her car insurance, I bought the car, I am helping with school, she is on my cell plan... but she appreciates it all and works hard earning a 4.0 in college so I don't think I'm doing her a disservice. She is not spoiled. It really depends on the child.

I definitely agree with someone in this thread who said kids are a part of today's culture (nasty tv programming where kids model mean and disrespectful behavior and bully, and expect, and have been super commercialized, and movies that make parents look like idiots unworthy of respect), then they go to school and see the same behaviors from friends and a lot of parents who not only put up with it but cater to it. I'm willing to bet many cultures do not model this behavior to kids and don't tolerate it. I just watched a show on amish families - no tv's, communities gettng together, mom's staying home, family dinners, everyone had chores and spiritual practice, polite children... It was really beautiful.

anyway, glad to read things seem to be better, chris

#107 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

much... now that she's an "adult" she's really grasped the work ethic, we have pretty much zero issues.

This photo is unrelated although once when Lynn was 5 her and her boy cousin of the same age colored each other wee wees.... that was upsetting.

http://assets0.ordie...al.jpg?59b31aa1

my internet is broked.

#108 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

ChinaCat- do you have suggestions or advice on how to raise a child like that? I am honestly scared of the teenage years b/c I know what a shit head I was. I have 2 girls and would love to have a great relationship with them both.

#109 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

I agree that school has a lot to do with it. This year, Cate has really shown some yucky behaviors ( eye rolling, talking back etc), but we just had 10 days off from school & my polite, sweet child returned :clap:

I'm soooooooooooo looking forward to homeschooling next year!

#110 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I was an :angel: as a teenager :smile:

I do wish that I had had kids, but I have a feeling that karma is a bitch, so maybe it's all for the best :dunno:

#111 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

I was an :angel: as a teenager :smile: I do wish that I had had kids, but I have a feeling that karma is a bitch, so maybe it's all for the best :dunno:

oh hell yeah it is! Jess is my mini me & I'm fucked!!! :lol:

#112 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

I have a me and it's not fucking fun. Nope.

#113 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

ChinaCat- do you have suggestions or advice on how to raise a child like that? I am honestly scared of the teenage years b/c I know what a shit head I was. I have 2 girls and would love to have a great relationship with them both.

Love them, care for them....and maybe you'll get lucky. :lol:

#114 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Well I'm on the right track.... but my parents did that for me too and I was a raging bitch from about 14-18!!

#115 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

It happens. As I said..."luck" as a ton to do with it. You were independent and fiesty and full of life. It's hard to tame the red in you.
Me, I just had parents who were too busy doing their own thing to notice what the hell I was doing. :lol: :rolleyes:

#116 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'd say I was mouthy from 13-16, I partied but nothing too crazy (well, my definition of crazy), I never got into real trouble - although LUCK had a big role in that....ok yeah I'm fucked :lol:

I'm really hopin the mellow, cautious, older sister will restrain my mini me.................................what? :dunno: I can dream can't I?

#117 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'd say I was mouthy from 13-16, I partied but nothing too crazy (well, my definition of crazy), I never got into real trouble - although LUCK had a big role in that....ok yeah I'm fucked :lol: I'm really hopin the mellow, cautious, older sister will restrain my mini me.................................what? :dunno: I can dream can't I?

:rotf:

#118 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

:rotf:

thanks for your support of my delusions! :headbang:

#119 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

thanks for your support of my delusions! :headbang:

You're very welcome! :boardie:

Having raised 3 girls, I know exactly what you're talking about. :wink:

#120 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

You're very welcome! :boardie: Having raised 3 girls, I know exactly what you're talking about. :wink:

:lol:

I fear the teen years! :shudder:

#121 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

They all go through it at one time or another.
My first one was not her best self until she became a teenager - around 14-15, she all of a sudden turned real nice and continues to be so.
My second one was wonderful all through her younger and teen years, went to college and then became crabby and distant.
My third on is on a more traditional track, crabbing out at 15 and still not done at 18.

Goes to show you don't ever know.
Just love them and eventually the monsters will release their brains.

#122 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I now officially a parent to TWO Teenage girls

Happy Birthday to my darlin' Sierra

Posted Image

#123 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Posted Image

#124 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Welp, Lynn turns 19 tomorrow... :afro:

I did my best to raise her to be a strong independent woman... so far, so good... she is dating a very nice young man who adores her... and fears me.

We get along very very well (albeit from afar :lol: )

:bigsmile:

#125 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,278 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Wow! Happy Birthday to Lynn!

#126 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Posted Image

facebook copyright violation

#127 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Oh man, my 17 year old would like your....18? 19? now? She's very purty.

#128 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

just turned 19

don't let the "purty" smileface fool ya.... :lol:

she's a mean one :rolling:

#129 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Good for her! :lol:

#130 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

1002128_490078564402566_881022912_n.jpg

My Youngest now attends Warped Tour in half shirts and hangs with Hot Female Lead singers from Austrailia

:bang:

#131 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,278 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

:lol:

Chip off the ol' block, eh?

#132 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

:bowl:

#133 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

this thread is scary for a father of two girls, the oldest being 2 1/2.

Although it makes yesterday's temper tantrum, kicking, hitting, and screaming a lil easier to take. 

#134 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

My girl just turned 13 and I have a 2 year old girl.  But I'm telling ya, after what my first born son put me through...the rest'll be cake.

Or so I think.  :lol:  or..hope.

#135 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,723 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Oh boy, I can't wait.

I think I can! :lol:

#136 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

well clearly it's all moot.... she's 'bout 20 and about to have a baby boy....  and has really become an awesome, responsible... great young woman.  

big as a house at 7 months :lol: 

but beautiful :heart:

#137 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well I'm on the right track.... but my parents did that for me too and I was a raging bitch from about 14-18!!

I know I gave my mom 'some tude' in high school, but for me it was more being disgruntled when she decided to wake up and take charge (she slept A LOT...like weeks at a time)...you can't wake up and pretend to make the rules now. I cooked, made honors, worked 2-3 jobs, and really didn't have many rules.

One thing that always helped my mom and i keep the lines of communication open was her one ground rule..tell the truth and you won't get in trouble. It was easier for me to tell her the truth, knowing she'd listen to me. Being heard is HUGE, as is explaining your rules. And even if she doesn't agree with you at least she'll understand why you make them.

Our major fights were guilt wars...I learned from the best and the student surpassed the teacher and she wasn't happy about that.

It also took me a long time to realize the way I was saying things was totally disrespectful. I didn't hear it, I didn't mean it to be....she audio taped me one day and played it for me the next day. I worked really hard to be aware of it after that.