The Cheering Stops for Fireman Ed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,566 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Guess his Thanksgiving wasn't very happy. Sucks he had to deal with shit from fellow fans.

The Cheering Stops for Fireman Ed

At first, it seemed like a headline from the Onion. The Jets superfan Ed Anzalone announced Sunday that he was retiring his Fireman Ed cheerleader routine. He told Kristian Dyer of Metro New York that “the boorish behavior of fans” had gotten to him.

“Listen, I went through the Rich Kotite era — we were 4-28 in that era. Any Jets fan knows this isn’t the worst of times; it isn’t close. It’s been about the nastiness. I just think society in general — you’re out in your car there’s no respect at all. I don’t want to put up with that from people taking it out on me anymore.”

Anzalone said fans have gotten nasty and confrontational with him, often mistaking him as part of the organization when he is merely a season ticket holder “who has never received a dime from this team.”

An excerpt from Anzalone’s guest column at Metro New York:

I decided to leave Thursday because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic.

This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another. The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy as well. The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll — which is an outright lie — have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it’s in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.

Although I can “hold my own,” I do not want to lose my temper and make a stupid mistake. I have a responsibility to the families and kids that enjoy the game and Fireman Ed.

He concluded: “I will always love the Jets because they are in my heart, and I will attend games as usual, just not as Fireman Ed. God bless and, as always, let’s go Jets!”

And so continued the tragicomedy that began Thursday with a grotesque loss to the Patriots.

Brian Bassett of the Jets Blog wrote: “I know people have mixed feelings about Ed, but no matter how you might feel it’s hard to not get a little depressed to realize that the guy can’t even hang out among fellow fans without getting blasted for it. Sorry to hear that it’s come to this.”

One commenter at Metro New York wrote: “How are Jets fans going to know how to spell J-E-T-S now?!?” :lol:

Steve Politi of The Star-Ledger wrote on Twitter: “So at what point does Belichick sign Fireman Ed and turn him into a Hall of Famer?”

A radio caller on WFAN said: If this keeps up, the Jets’ games next season will be broadcast on Comedy Central.

http://fifthdown.blo...for-fireman-ed/

#2 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I feel bad for the guy. Let him do what he wants.

#3 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

unfortunately fireman Ed is correct about society as well as some Jets fans :sad: maybe if the tickets were more affordable there'd be a better fanbase.

#4 fin_fang_foom

fin_fang_foom
  • VibeTribe
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Not sad to see this grandstander put away his helmet.

#5 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

D-O-N-E DONE! DONE! DONE!

#6 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,566 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I feel bad for the guy. Let him do what he wants.

Yeah, it's got to suck when you can't even root for your team at home games without catching grief from other "fans"

#7 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, it's got to suck when you can't even root for your team at home games without catching grief from other "fans"

Especially since he, more than likely, had been a season ticket holder a lot longer than the surrounding spoiled brats bitching and whining that he got a li'l notoriety over the years...and when real JETS fans could afford season tix...WE LOVED HIM!!!

#8 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Pretty much becaue he wore a Sanchez jersey this year in support of him. The guy has been leading cheers for a long time and getting the crowd pumped up. What a bunch of loser fans. Where is the respect?

#9 musicfan

musicfan
  • VibeTribe
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

He'll be back next year when Ryan and Teee-blow are gone....

#10 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,872 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

A lot of Jets fans do not like that "he" gets all the press and speaks for the fans. His eternal optimism isn't universal. Another thing is people have said the media attention has gone to his head. For example, Why put out a statement, so he gets more attention?

I am a Jets fan, and while I understand where he is coming from, and witness many verbal abusing's, half time acosting, half time :gregoir: time, throwing money into a circle ramp to see fans get pelted by beer and spit when some sucker decides enough money in there is worth it ($40 is usually the kicker) at Jet games (not sure these exist in new stadium). I have also followed his lead at a few games over the years.

I will not cry about this.

Who leads the chant now is my question?

#11 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

The Jets have finally found a use for Tim Tebow. They're gonna give him fireman's helmet and send him upt the stands to lead cheers. (No disprespect to firefighters intended, just fun)

#12 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

j-e-t-s lol lol lol. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would kill the Jets to get in the news for their on field play. the backup quarterback and the outlandish fan get better press. god, it's so awesome when they suck. :lol:

Drew's take over at deadspin. http://deadspin.com/fireman-ed-quits/ I agree with his assessment that "it's a STUPID chant."

#13 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,872 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

The Jets have finally found a use for Tim Tebow. They're gonna give him fireman's helmet and send him upt the stands to lead cheers. (No disprespect to firefighters intended, just fun)

This!

#14 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

You are the reason soccer fans feel so superior. At a soccer game, people sing all kinds of crazy songs and wear matching scarves and shit. Meanwhile, you wear a hat and scream out JETS three times in a row. We football people must suck at fandom.

heh

#15 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,872 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

You are the reason soccer fans feel so superior. At a soccer game, people sing all kinds of crazy songs and wear matching scarves and shit. Meanwhile, you wear a hat and scream out JETS three times in a row. We football people must suck at fandom.

Like these?

Tim Timminy Tim Timminy
Tim Tim Teroo
We've got Tim Howard and he says fuck you!

Timmy Howard
Fuck Off
He plays in our net
Fuck Off
Timmy Howard
Fuck Off
He's got Tourette's

Read more: http://www.cracked.c.../#ixzz2DNBm9eLY

In the Liverpool slums,
Your Mum's on the beat and your Dad's in the nick,
You can't find a job 'coz you're too fuckin thick,
In the Liverpool slums--
Manchester United Fans when they're playing Liverpool FC

He's half a boy and half a girl,
Torres! Torres!
He looks just like a transvestite,
Torres! Torres!
He wears a frock,
He loves the cock,
He sells his arse on Albert Dock
Fernando Torres, Carragher's bit on the side --
Manchester United Fans about Liverpool's star player.

"Sol, Sol, wherever you may be
You're on the verge of lunacy
And we don't give a fuck if you're hanging from a tree
You Judas cunt with HIV." --
Spurs fans about Former Player Sol Campbell who left to play for another team and then had a mental breakdown.

"Who's that dying on the runway?
Who's that dying in the snow?
It's Matt Busby and his boys
making such a fucking noise
coz they can't get their aeroplane to go!"--
Manchester City fans after Manchester United's Plane Crashed and killed several players in 1958.

Read more: http://www.cracked.c.../#ixzz2DNC54rSB

#16 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

That's why it's The Beautiful Game.