Photo

Why are vegetarian products named after meat?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,004 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Seriously, I'm not criticizing here, just curious. Tofurkey, chix, soyrizo, vegetarian sausage, riblets, skallops, etc.

Is it that there aren't any appealing vegetable protein names available? Is it that it's desirable to taste like meat without actually being meat? Is it to fit in societally? I'm really interested in why this is because I love vegetables, tofu, and some other protein substitutes but have never wanted them to taste like meat. But I guess I already have meat for that.

#2 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,004 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

I'm also curious what exactly "sea tofu" is. It's really prevalent in Chinese restaurants and markets around here but when I google it I get nothing to explain what the hell it is. I love it though!

#3 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,995 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

it's just another propaganda trick the vegetarian freaks use...see? you don't need meat sausage...we have tofu broccoli sausage that tastes just like pork pork sausage. :puke:

even though it is all lies...LIES I tell ya!

#4 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Seriously, I'm not criticizing here, just curious. Tofurkey, chix, soyrizo, vegetarian sausage, riblets, skallops, etc.

Is it that there aren't any appealing vegetable protein names available? Is it that it's desirable to taste like meat without actually being meat? Is it to fit in societally? I'm really interested in why this is because I love vegetables, tofu, and some other protein substitutes but have never wanted them to taste like meat. But I guess I already have meat for that.

we just call our food "vegetables, beans and grains" but there are lots of prepared foods in the supermarket for vegetarians. i've tried most of them and i think i can answer your question, but perhaps not the way you were hoping. it's not to fit in societally, and most people don't expect or want it to taste like meat, though some do i guess, especially the hostesses that buy a Tofurky or whatever to be welcoming to her vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner guests...but mostly, it's just the easiest way to describe the texture, look and flavor profile.

so most of those commercially made vegetarian proteins are named for the omnivore thing they look and are flavored to emulate...and like most commercially prepared foods, they're pretty much pure junk food. Jason used to like those riblet things from time to time when he was in the mood for junk food :lol: there's not a lot you can smother in bbq sauce that wouldn't taste good, i guess.

#5 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,004 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Thank you Thuggie!

I wasn't "hoping" for any particular answer, just wanted to know and Google was no help. Much appreciated.

Now on to WTF Sea tofu actually is!

#6 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

and don't ever try to emulate meat chili with the substitutes. :rolling: lesson learned. :mrgreen:

#7 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I've noticed that....as a meat eater I don't get it. Why make food that tastes like meat ? I went to an all vegan place with a friend last weekend in Boston ....what I was looking for was really good food . As our luck goes it was just ok

#8 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Thank you Thuggie!

I wasn't "hoping" for any particular answer, just wanted to know and Google was no help. Much appreciated.

and don't ever try to emulate meat chili with the substitutes. :rolling: lesson learned. :mrgreen:

oof :lol: but it was so cute of you guys to go through all that thinking and effort! he did appreciate it even if the results were, um...just okay? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i've never heard of it, but Google calls jellyfish the tofu of the sea...somehow i doubt that's what you're referring to though or you'd know that's what you were eating. guess it must be a west coast thing :shrug:

#9 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

so most of those commercially made vegetarian proteins are named for the omnivore thing they look and are flavored to emulate...and like most commercially prepared foods, they're pretty much pure junk food. Jason used to like those riblet things from time to time when he was in the mood for junk food :lol: there's not a lot you can smother in bbq sauce that wouldn't taste good, i guess.

but why would they emulate foods that the buyer would not eat?

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,690 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Perhaps some vegetarians enjoy the flavor of meat while finding the killing and eating of animals morally offensive?

#11 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,479 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

aint tellin

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Perhaps some vegetarians enjoy the flavor of meat while finding the killing and eating of animals morally offensive?

how would they know what meat tastes like, if they are vegetarians?

#13 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,004 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Sea Tofu remains a mystery but it sure is tasty.

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Clearspot Organic Sea Cakes (2 Pack) 190g

See other products from Tofu
See other products from Clear Spot

Made with tofu and seaweed, with a little smoke added, this is an interesting blend of East and West.

Average ReviewsPosted ImageCustomer ReviewsWrite Review

Posted Image Our Price £1.62 (£0.85 per 100g)
Product Details

Serving Suggestion

Can be eaten hot or cold.
Ingredients

Tofu (water, soya beans, nigari), smoked tofu (water, soya beans, salt), kelp powder, reconstituted arame sea vegetable, sea salt.
Nutritional Information

Typical values per 100g:
Energy 463.3kJ/110.1, Protein 12.7g, Carbohydrates 6.5g, Fat 3.7g.

#15 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

To add to JT's:

Some are named as such, but that's mostly commercial. Why name it as such? There's what JT said, and then also some of it is what you call marketing. If you think about what you would name a new processed product, I'm guessing you're not gonna do any better. And if you can do better, talk to me.... ;)

OTOH, the base items are not named after meat.

Seitan isn't named after meat. Tofu isn't named after meat. Tempeh isn't named after meat.

---

As for myself, there is hardly any of those that I eat/use regularly. Vegenaise is one (though mayonnaise is vegetarian) and Italian Sausage and Tofurkey deli slice. Vegenaise I prefer to mayonaisse... the other 2 it pretty well describes what they're like.... a deli thing that goes with the stuff you'd use on a turkey slice...and the other

#16 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,995 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

that's exactly how I feel about vegetables...if only they could make bacon taste like morally offensive lima beans :undecided:

#17 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,995 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

but why would they emulate foods that the buyer would not eat?

So those folks can force their will on their children...denying them their own choice!!! :joker:

#18 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Sea tofu is Walrus jizz.

#19 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Vegans and vegetarians who feel its morally wrong to kill and eat animals, but not morally wrong go kill and rat plants, is just a hypcrite.

As if one type of living thing is more deserving to live than any other...while others are just grown, harvested, and eaten without any care at all.

Plants have emotions too.

#20 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,995 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Sea tofu is Walrus jizz.

:funny1: from walrus that eat veggie niblets in BBQ sauce

Vegans and vegetarians who feel its morally wrong to kill and eat animals, but not morally wrong go kill and eat plants, is just a hypcrite.

As if one type of living thing is more deserving to live than any other...while others are just grown, harvested, and eaten without any care at all.

Exactly

#21 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Be vegan/vegetarian. Please DONT GO AROUND SAYING that you do it because killin animals and eating them is wrong. You sound like a self-righteous ass with no respect for plant life.

#22 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hoagie death is a necessary aspect of life, you can't separate the two. i think that reducing harm wherever possible, being mindful, respectful, and thankful for where one's food comes from is the best one can hope for. Native Americans understand this, and i think for many, becoming vegan/vegetarian is a step in that evolution.

#23 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Sea Tofu remains a mystery but it sure is tasty.

I asked a vegetarian friend about this. Tofu requires a coagulant in order for it to solidify into cakes. Some are done with soy milk. Preferred method for most Japanese tofu is sea water, hence the name. Mystery solved. You're welcome. :lol:

Be vegan/vegetarian. Please DONT GO AROUND SAYING that you do it because killin animals and eating them is wrong. You sound like a self-righteous ass with no respect for plant life.

Hoagie, everyone knows that plants don't have feelings. Botany 101. :thup:

#24 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

where is the brain in an eggplant?

#25 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,004 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Goddamn Hoagie making my thread jump the shark. :lol:

But it made me think of a great Roald Dahl short story called The Sound Machine in which a scientist discovers that plants feel pain, or he is just a mad scientist.

#26 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

It's not a matter of an universal right or wrong in most cases. Some opt not to eat some or all dead animals while some opt not to consume/use any animal products. Others are a free for all for whatever taste good or looks good on them (animal products like leather for example). Judging others for their diet/soul needs is without a doubt wrong, as wrong as not showing respect for them and such. Plants do have feelings....or they react positively when they are treated well and it pains me at times to consume them even when it's at the end of their life cycle.....unlike pigs/cows/chickens who are harvested basically at the start of their life cycles (example chickens @ 3 months old). In the end we all pick our diet based on what makes us feel good with a mix of a complete lack of care for the living beings we consume.

To touch lightly on what Ginger Snap said and not speaking for all Native people....we take from the earth what we need now for our needs and return to the earth or share what we don't need....sort of consumption without greed....something so foreign in most modern cultures.

On a completely unrelated topic I moved up part of my going vegan thingy after having horrible eggs this past weekend....now eggs are off of my diet and less chickens will live a horrible life. Less cows will have to suffer making me cheese and great tasting pizza in about a month.....but the plants......yeah those fuckers are going to suffer big time unless I can find a proper diet eating sand/air/pipe dreams.

To each their own...and such :-)

#27 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,995 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

unfortunately, I'm vegetable intolerant :undecided:

...else I'd be right there with you vegans :smile:

Alas...I must go through life suffering...eating steak, bacon and lamb :drool:

Ooops...I mean :sad: yeah... :sad:

#28 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

It's not a matter of an universal right or wrong in most cases. Some opt not to eat some or all dead animals while some opt not to consume/use any animal products. Others are a free for all for whatever taste good or looks good on them (animal products like leather for example). Judging others for their diet/soul needs is without a doubt wrong, as wrong as not showing respect for them and such. Plants do have feelings....or they react positively when they are treated well and it pains me at times to consume them even when it's at the end of their life cycle.....unlike pigs/cows/chickens who are harvested basically at the start of their life cycles (example chickens @ 3 months old). In the end we all pick our diet based on what makes us feel good with a mix of a complete lack of care for the living beings we consume.

To touch lightly on what Ginger Snap said and not speaking for all Native people....we take from the earth what we need now for our needs and return to the earth or share what we don't need....sort of consumption without greed....something so foreign in most modern cultures.

On a completely unrelated topic I moved up part of my going vegan thingy after having horrible eggs this past weekend....now eggs are off of my diet and less chickens will live a horrible life. Less cows will have to suffer making me cheese and great tasting pizza in about a month.....but the plants......yeah those fuckers are going to suffer big time unless I can find a proper diet eating sand/air/pipe dreams.

To each their own...and such :-)

Really well said.