RC: prefers men to women in management

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

...maybe its the hornones or somethjng, but why has every woman manager ive worked for end up being overly emotional and high-strung to the point of micromanaging, while every man i have worked for seemed to be able to keep an "even keel" no matter the situation.

Is it that these women have more to prove, so end up smothering their employees? Is it te hormone thing? Do i just have lousy luck with female managers?

#2 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,259 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think it's often personality no matter what. I've had 3 female bosses in my life one was the best boss I ever had. My current one is OK but likes to publically cast blame. :undecided: The other one was a total fucking psycho. Of men I've had some Tyrants and some good ones. So yeah I think it's personality more then being a man or a woman.

#3 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Strap in kids. This is going to get interesting.

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,125 posts

I have found it depends more on the individual than their sex.

#5 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

...maybe its the hornones or somethjng, but why has every woman manager ive worked for end up being overly emotional and high-strung to the point of micromanaging, while every man i have worked for seemed to be able to keep an "even keel" no matter the situation.

Is it that these women have more to prove, so end up smothering their employees? Is it te hormone thing? Do i just have lousy luck with female managers?

Posted Image

#6 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Personality, sure...

My current boss is a fucking lunatic who will go out of her way to tell me NOT TO USE MORE THAN 1 pushpin on the corkboard.

Its as if she wants to get into fights over nothing. No way to run a business...

#7 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

This.

#8 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,674 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

My only issue with women bosses is they tend to never own up on poor decision making and find someone to throw under the bus...come to think of it...I have found this to be true with men bosses too

#9 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

YOU ARE LISTENING TO THE E.I.B. NETWORK. (typed big so Joker can read
It)

#10 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

It could just be the men are more attracted to you than the women are and therefore give you more leniency.

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

My only issue with women bosses is they tend to never own up on poor decision making and find someone to throw under the bus...come to think of it...I have found this to be true with men bosses too

Most bosses do this.

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

It could just be the men are more attracted to you than the women are and therefore give you more leniency.

Could be, could be.

Could be they are having periods

#13 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,259 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

The thing that pisses me off about my current boss is she never wants to admit she made a mistake. She always pushes off the blame and loves to shove it at me since my dad owns the business and it knocks me down a few pegs in her mind. I don't get it. She is still the boss and I am still one of the lowest paid employees. I am no way a threat to her job.

#14 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,674 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

says the chick who micromanages EVERYTHING we write on here :nulo:

#15 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

The thing that pisses me off about my current boss is she never wants to admit she made a mistake. She always pushes off the blame and loves to shove it at me since my dad owns the business and it knocks me down a few pegs in her mind. I don't get it. She is still the boss and I am still one of the lowest paid employees. I am no way a threat to her job.

Touches on my real theory...that women somehow feel threatened or need to prove they are the best for the job, and overcompensate by "putting people in their place"... Whereas men have never jad the whole glass ceiling thing so may not ride you as hard on trivial things.

#16 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

so depends on the person, not their gender

#17 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

So there cant be differences in personality based on gender?

#18 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

i think it depends on the personality more then the sex.

#19 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,674 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Just tell her you'll remember that when you become her boss eachtime she pulls that shit...nepotism ain't a bad thing in your case
:dance:

#20 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

to play devil's advocate is it the boss that is hard to work for or is it the employee that has problems with the opposite sex?

#21 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

I think you are afraid of the vagina maybe.

#22 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,674 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

to play devil's advocate is it the boss that is hard to work for or is it the employee that has problems with the opposite sex?

Or maybe the women are more upfront and men are the bitches that say and do things behind your back

#23 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

so depends on the person, not their gender

I've had great bosses and shitty bosses in either gender. Micromanagers generally suck more, but I've had a few hands off bosses that were a little too hands off...

#24 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

The former.

#25 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

I've had a LOT of bosses of all types. I've found, in general but not all the time, that women tend more towards consensus-building and making everyone happy while the men tend to be more dictatorial. I've seen each style be effective before, but generally prefer the decisive approach, even if it ruffles a few feathers.

At work I prefer to have everyone marching towards one objective and don't much care if everyone's ego is stroked along the way. Once you work for a startup, you learn to take your own ego out of every decision since there's no time for bickering if you want to survive. That said, when I'm the boss I do seem to have a knack for making oversensitive female employees cry after what I thought was light and constructive criticism.

#26 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,125 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Wasting time ego stroking is the suck.

#27 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I don't put up with crap, but I am also sensitive to different personality types; i.e. I try to tailor my management style (to a certain degree) for each person. Some people appreciate bluntness, others need things presented a little more gently (but getting the same message across).

I hate micromanaging.

#28 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

agreed. i find it helpful to tailor the management style to the person or workload.

#29 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Fear=crosses gender lines
controlling tendencies = crosses gender lines
defensiveness = crosses gender lines
blame shifting = crosses gender lines
power grabs = crosses gender lines
need for approval = crosses gender lines
desire to be a boss who holds workers accountable = crosses gender lines
emotional displays = crosses gender lines (though men may exhibit more anger, or, "socially acceptable" emotions)

hormonal shifts = men have hormones that affect moods, Hoagie.

Men have a number of hormonal cycles:

1) Men's testosterone, for instance, varies and goes up and down four or five times an hour.
2) There are daily cycles with testosterone being higher in the morning and lower at night.
3) Men have a monthly hormonal cycle that is unique to each man, but men can actually track their moods and recognize they are related to hormonal changes through the month.
4) We know that there are seasonal cycles with testosterone higher in November and lower in April.
5) We know about hormonal cycles with males during adolescence, but also the years between 40 and 55 have what we call male menopause or andropause.

Maybe your hormonal cycle is skewing your perception of your boss :funny1:

#30 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I don't put up with crap, but I am also sensitive to different personality types; i.e. I try to tailor my management style (to a certain degree) for each person. Some people appreciate bluntness, others need things presented a little more gently (but getting the same message across).

I hate micromanaging.

reads like an effective and appropriate boss to me :)

#31 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I have to add that out of 2 dozen or so memorable bosses, the best two in terms of effectiveness, people skills, and mentoring were both gay men.

#32 Luna

Luna
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,784 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerze

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

I think you are afraid of the vagina maybe.

LOL ...

oh Hoags... I've missed you and your crazy ass opinions!

I am a female manager and I while I may get feisty with the higher-ups when my hormones are surging I do not let it effect how I treat my minions :)

#33 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'll sign this but please keep in mind, my boss can be a total bitch!

#34 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hoagie hates women

#35 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,527 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I've had one female boss... she was great! She didn't micro-manage, but offered up assistance to me repeatedly. We often had differences of opinion on the way things needed to be done, but she would always hear my side of the argument.

#36 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,125 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Men have a number of hormonal cycles:

3) Men have a monthly hormonal cycle that is unique to each man, but men can actually track their moods and recognize they are related to hormonal changes through the month.

This is evident via posting patterns.

#37 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Yes, I'm self employed. :lol: In all seriousness I do agree with this to a point. I think due to the corporate hierarchy, pay scales, etc., women have more to prove and often overcompensate in the wrong ways with their communication skills. I saw my mother go through almost thirty years of corporate with Ensign Bickford, Emhart and Black and Decker (the latter two were bought out by Carrier) and and the worst bosses by far (not even close to the males) were women. Not saying it's always true but I'd say this is accurate more times than not.

#38 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

:rolling:

#39 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,834 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

#1 of your spreadsheet?

#40 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,674 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have to add that out of 2 dozen or so memorable bosses, the best two in terms of effectiveness, people skills, and mentoring were both gay men.

and still had penises...check one for the guys :thumbsup:

#41 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hoagie hates women

:lol:

#42 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Ty for all the input. My boss is basically the worst manager ive ever had, and is an equally awful person as well.

Ive just had poor luck of te draw with female bosses, they all have been poor managers. Not blaming their gender on it.

#43 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Why don't you go f...oh, wait...

#44 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,125 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Why don't you go f...oh, wait...

Just be sure you can take it before you go dishing it out willy nilly. :winky dinky:

#45 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Ty for all the input. My boss is basically the worst manager ive ever had, and is an equally awful person as well.

Ive just had poor luck of te draw with female bosses, they all have been poor managers. Not blaming their gender on it.

http://www.nizkor.or...ralization.html

#46 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a minute, though I don't buy into the original premise, who wouldn't be prone to bouts of dickishness if she were getting paid less for the same work than the outties, just because she's an innie?

#47 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Just be sure you can take it before you go dishing it out willy nilly. :winky dinky:

:mrgreen:

#48 musicfan

musicfan
  • VibeTribe
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

You know why women dont need to wear a watch?

There's one on the oven....

#49 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Yes, I'm self employed. :lol: In all seriousness I do agree with this to a point. I think due to the corporate hierarchy, pay scales, etc., women have more to prove and often overcompensate in the wrong ways with their communication skills. I saw my mother go through almost thirty years of corporate with Ensign Bickford, Emhart and Black and Decker (the latter two were bought out by Carrier) and and the worst bosses by far (not even close to the males) were women. Not saying it's always true but I'd say this is accurate more times than not.

Id say its pretty accurate, but probably best to NOT share this opinion with the public, for fear of a female backlash...

#50 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a minute, though I don't buy into the original premise, who wouldn't be prone to bouts of dickishness if she were getting paid less for the same work than the outties, just because she's an innie?

Theres neve a good reason to be a dickhead when you are a manager.