• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

don't get me wrong - i love all dogs but i need to find a specific dog that will fit into the way i live.

another lab would be great!!! - but he/she doesn't have to be a lab. my last dog was a choc lab - she was a great dog and lived an amazing 13 years until she became suddenly ill and died in august. i rescued her from a messy divorce between a couple i knew. the lab and i were the only winners from that situation.

i need a younger dog who's full grown or almost full grown, smart as a whip, and is already house trained. i'm looking for a dog that has lots of energy for long treks thru the mountains in vermont and is calm and well behaved and would sit and enjoy a summer day on a sailboat on long island like my last two dogs would. a dog who would like long hikes on the beach as well as shorter daily walks around the neighborhood. a dog who i can take off the leash when i hike and who could live at a house in the woods of vermont that is not fenced in. lots of trail breaking when i hit the trails with my snowshoes!

a dog who will receive lots of love and exercise daily and will come home and be calm and relaxed around the house. limited barking and generally good behavior inside the house. a dog who likes other people as well as other dogs. a dog i can take to other people's pet-friendly homes and know he/she will behave nicely. a dog who enjoys long drives in the car. a dog who can be alone in the house with no separation anxiety.

I'm looking for the perfect dog!

i know there's another one out there and I'm willing to wait to find the right one.

If you hear of a dog like this that needs to live an awesome life, PM me!

thanks!

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Don't know what their policy is a far as how near you have to be to adopt, and it looks like their fee has gone way up, but...

http://littleguild.org/

In West Cornwall, CT. I've had two dogs and a cat from this shelter, and have loved them all.

#3 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

thanks for that suggestion tim. i'm certainly going to consider the shelter route if i need to.

my last two dog-finds were pure serendipity - life situations that required friends/acquaintances to give up their amazing dogs. both owners were truly sad but they knew their dogs were going to a good home.

one dog was from a divorce and the other came from a man in a wheelchair who adopted this great dog but sadly found he was not capable of taking care of her from his wheelchair.

i'm hoping to stumble upon another similar situation. what better place to look than the vibes board? :bigsmile:

#4 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

:heart:

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,030 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

I have a friend who may know a woman in such a situation, she is going to make contact.

#6 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thanks TEO. I'll be away fri thru friday so i may or may not have internet access.
Do you know any specifics?

#7 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

i forgot i posted this thread!

update: i adopted juno - a 2 year old lab-hound mix rescue dog in december. she is indeed special. i had a great bonding winter season

with her in vermont and i'm looking forward to summer on long island:

2013-01-03_11-28-14_631_zps2a149a38.jpg

#8 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,721 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

i remember seeing this pic! i think you may have started a thread when you got her

she is a doll! :heart:

more pics!

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,030 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hooray!