• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

This thread is about home recordings..can be anything about them, how they were made, problems with making, and any wisdom or fun things that happen during the experience! Hopefull this thread will end up as a fun resource for anyone who appreciates music!

Entry 1:
On saturday 11/19, Hoagie came over and we recorded a bunch of new stuff in my basement studio . We layered some stuff based on a new bass line, then I added 2 acoustics and hoagie layered some egg shakers...everything was panned hard left and right for a great stereo effect. We had alot of fun but I keep relearning the same painful lesson nearly everytime I record myself on drums,....I NEED A GOOD DRUMMER OR RHYTHM MAKER...without this, stuff can sound really too loose. Unless you want it to sound really loose! I just suck at the drums.

Jeff is our BG drummer extroradinaire, but he can't just dump off Marco tour to lay some beats...What do you do to get around this?
(and drum machines can sound so weak)

#2 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Quality drum synth (not cheap drum machine), where you can build your own arrangements?

#3 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

That could do it. I use a click track now and try to nail it, but I always seem to flub a bass drum or snare at some point and end up re-recording the drums for 2 hours on a 3 minute song, and still never nail it...If only i could play drums like a real drummer, or have the ryhthm of a young rabit.

#4 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Try a sequencer style one, with the timeline and boxes into which various sounds and samples are inserted. You can drag stuff around and edit very easily. I've been messing around with a couple of these on the iPad, and they're pretty awesome when you get the hang of it. I've been messing with iSequence, which has some really cool drum sounds and loops. I bought another drum/percussion pack for 3 bucks, and it's even better.

Plus it's a bit of a mental exercise trying to translate what you hear and think of into a "grid". Gonna take a bit to get away from "how do I do this" to being creative.

#5 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,443 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

If you're just doing demos of tunes, can you get another drummer everyone is okay with using, to lay down the drum tracks when Grippo can't make it?

#6 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,816 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

If you do go the synthesizer route to record drums initially you can always go back and re-record the drums as well. True it requires a pretty precise drummer to do that, but if you start out with a more simplified form of the type of beat you want at least then you'll have reference points for your downbeats and accents at the tempo you want. One of the biggest advantages to multi-track recording is that you don't always need everyone there to make progress.

#7 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Grippo refuses to make recording sessions unless we tell him Bob Weir or someone from Ween is there. its so crazy!

Just kidding!
We may have him come over to re-record the drums, over the click track and drums I laid down....I've also found that I can "hide" errant drum beats by adding a second drum track and doubling it...either pan l or R, or keep it in stereo, adds a cool effect, and helps camofluage the warts! very beatleesque.

#8 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

http://www.rinki.net/pekka/monkey/

I have had tons of fun creating patterns on this thing tonpractice bass to. We could probably use it to create drum tracks till jeff can get into the basement.

Its java based (or flash) so no downloading needed. Try it out!

#9 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

looking at electronic drum kits that can hold the beat after I set it...anyone have any experience or recomendations?
http://www.sweetwate...etail/DM10XKit/

#10 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

In the early 90's,  I learned how to home- record thru experimenting with a cassette 4-track recorder. It was fun times to record all kinds of noises and sounds and just learn how to layer stuff together. It got me started on a quest for recording! Over the weekend I put these up on the archive (along with a collection I recorded in 2006)

This is the "album" I recorded in 1993. I called it DESERT FATHERS. I play all the instruments.

http://archive.org/d...5.DesertFathers

Then I recorded a follow up "album" also on 4 track cassette recorder in 1995, called DIGITAL DAYDREAM.

http://archive.org/d...digitaldaydream

Thanks for listening! Let me know your thoughts! Post some of your stuff! Lets hear it and discuss!!

#11 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

post some of those rough cuts we did!  They sound good even if a little raw....

#12 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Here, give a listen to where we are at thus far...

https://soundcloud.c...la/basementsong

#13 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Another idea...

https://soundcloud.c...picella/ricoshe

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

A more slow, experimental tune...really diggin this one...

https://soundcloud.c...picella/14-days

#15 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'ved used all kinds of synth programs to make drum beats. The best one, and the one I go to (I haven't even picked up a guitar in a long while, let alone record anything) is Propellerhead's Reason. You can manipulate teh velocities of the "drum" impacts to give it that natural sound.

The problem with this, and one of the main reasons I stopped making fully songs with percussion, is because the task is tedious and daunting.

I made a whole album in my home studio in 2006.

#16 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Cool thread.

#17 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

please, give us some feedback on the above clips...

cant wait to be back making music tomorrow.  Its been awhile!

#18 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Oh, i see. This was just a doorway to spamming us with your stuff. :funny1:

#19 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Oh, i see. This was just a doorway to spamming us with your stuff. :funny1:

smarty-pants

#20 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Do you use a tempo ticker when you record? I find it absolutely necessary. If I lay down a guitar track without it, and come back for the drums, it's almost always too sloppy/loose. This also helps if you're laying down drum work from a real kit as opposed to the synthetic route.

#21 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

we have a click track running in the headphones when we are laying down the sections.

#22 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Click track! Thanks. I was struggling to remember what you call that bad boy. The neat thing about Reason is it offers this without the need of one as a track. it's built right into the "dashboard".

#23 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

TASB- let's hear some of your 2006 album!! it can't be any worse than my stuff! please share!

I'll gladly check it out! and no- this thread is not meant to be a spam thread, truly to discuss home recording and share with folks our (collective) efforts. :bigsmile:

one problem I have is that I can record a great take on a riff, but its ultimately not in time- then laying drums on top of it inevitably sounds off time...sometimes I will lay down 2 drum tracks (left and right panned) to cover the drum mistakes or timing issues (with mass psychedelia)...click tracks are great for this, but I find it also ruins some of the feel when trying to nail it on the click.. 

homerecording and all of its challenges is FUN STUFF.

#24 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I would have to upload my stuff, and it mostly sucks. I am proud of it though.

The drumming issue was my hardest problem of all. I have a good friend who is an audio engineer. This also greatly helped in my endeavor.

#25 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

please upload it, even if you just PM it.  id love to hear what you came up with...its all a learnng exercise for us.

#26 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,945 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Yeah TASB let's have those #5s.

Listening to BasementSong, digging it.  Seems to have a southern rock flair.

#27 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yeah TASB let's have those #5s.

Listening to BasementSong, digging it.  Seems to have a southern rock flair.

i feel that...it really needs a chord change or a bridge or something

Williscat kills that second acoustic riff part tho, love it

#28 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

i think 14 days has a huge amount of potential. Hoagie's bass (1 panned hard left, the other panned hard right) is sweet when played at high volumes, blends nicely with the mellow acoustics, sounds like breathing.

A more slow, experimental tune...really diggin this one...

https://soundcloud.c...picella/14-days

#29 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I would have to upload my stuff, and it mostly sucks. I am proud of it though.

The drumming issue was my hardest problem of all. I have a good friend who is an audio engineer. This also greatly helped in my endeavor.

NOW WE REALLY NEED TO HEAR THIS!

#30 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

i think 14 days has a huge amount of potential. Hoagie's bass (1 panned hard left, the other panned hard right) is sweet when played at high volumes, blends nicely with the mellow acoustics, sounds like breathing.

I already think we will have to try a whole new bass track with the 6-string....it sounds WAY different than the 4 string.

#31 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

lots to be done!! We need to double the length, add 4 part harmony with the new lyrics and add more bass. I DIG IT!

#32 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Really like the Last Commands on the Chief.....

#33 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Syd- thanks!! Its hard to believe its 20 years old...I AM BECOMING AN OLD MAN

#34 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Really like the Last Commands on the Chief.....

we should rerecord this!

#35 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

lets jam on it tonight

#36 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'll figure out how to sharea  couple of songs I wrote later on. As a disclaimer, I sing in them and I'm no singer. But someone had to do it and when you're your only nearby music friend, well, there it is....

#37 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

lets jam on it tonight

sorry I'm not gonna get to hear it  :)

#38 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

We could broadcast it maybe...

#39 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I'll figure out how to sharea couple of songs I wrote later on. As a disclaimer, I sing in them and I'm no singer. But someone had to do it and when you're your only nearby music friend, well, there it is....

You certainly sound more qualified to sing than anyone in the basement generals!! Lol