Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Posted Image

#2 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

Brings to mind those chemical potato chips(Lays?) from 15 years ago that caused everyone to have explosive poop within 15-30 minutes of consuming them. Whatever magical chemical they used was sort of an epic fail.

#3 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

=

Posted Image

#4 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

Yes that shit they call food...wonder if they still make it and if people still are stupid enough to eat it.

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,147 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Most people don't know any better. Their screens have given them some bad advice, and they've taken it...

#6 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

JINGOS!

#7 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,147 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ewww. Jingorrhea.

#8 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Ingredient for (one brand of) regular sour cream: Grade A Cultured Cream

Ingredients for (one brand of) fat free sour cream: Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Fat Free Milk and Cream, Modified Corn Starch,Grade A Nonfat Dry Milk, Gelatin, Propylene Glycol Esters, Artificial Color, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Agar, Sodium Citrate, Locust Bean Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate.

Ingredients for (one brand of) vegan sour cream: Filtered Water, Soybean Oil*, Inulin (Chicory Root Extract), Palm Fruit Oil*, Rice Starch*, Soy Protein*, Calcium Lactate, Lactic Acid, Carrageenan, Agave Syrup*, Lemon Juice Concentrate*, Natural Flavor (Sunflower Oil and Other Plant-Based Sources), Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum*, Sea Salt.

*Certified Organic

#9 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Ingredients for (one brand of) fat free sour cream: Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Fat Free Milk and Cream, Modified Corn Starch,Grade A Nonfat Dry Milk, Gelatin, Propylene Glycol Esters, Artificial Color, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Agar, Sodium Citrate, Locust Bean Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate.

Ingredients for (one brand of) vegan sour cream: Filtered Water, Soybean Oil*, Inulin (Chicory Root Extract), Palm Fruit Oil*, Rice Starch*, Soy Protein*, Calcium Lactate, Lactic Acid, Carrageenan, Agave Syrup*, Lemon Juice Concentrate*, Natural Flavor (Sunflower Oil and Other Plant-Based Sources), Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum*, Sea Salt.

*Certified Organic

zomg!

ok, so most know Gelatin comes from dead animals. many may not know, exactly, how. here ya go: (vomit)

Propylene Glycol Esters. Anti-freeze shit??

http://www.atsdr.cdc...e.asp?toxid=240

my god, the crap people are eating. it's terrifying

#10 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

*Certified Organic

Ingredients in Cabot Sour Cream: Cultured milk*, cream*, modified corn starch, guar gum, sodium citrate, carrageenan, locust bean gum

*rBGH-free from local VT farms

Doesn't sound too bad to me ;)

#11 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

to be fair, other brands of low- and nonfat dairy products are available which do not contain any of those nasty things.

it's just really important to check labels, if any of this matters to you.

personally this has been one of the best things about changing the way we're eating. no complex list of ingredients on food labels = no "what the hell is THAT...and why is it in my food?" any more.

#12 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I agree. I look at ingredient lists all the time - though most of my food is just food :)

#13 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Ingredients in Cabot Sour Cream: Cultured milk*, cream*, modified corn starch, guar gum, sodium citrate, carrageenan, locust bean gum

*rBGH-free from local VT farms

Doesn't sound too bad to me ;)

:lol: you beat me to it. and Cabot is what we ate when we were still doing dairy (yogurt especially), which is why i suggested that folks check labels and choose the brands that don't rely on stuff like gelatin and chemicals.

i did read recently that carrageenan (something i've relied on for a long time as a safe, plant-based stabilizer) may be cancer-inducing in higher quantities. reading more, i learned the difference between degraded and undegraded (food grade) carrageenan.

but since trace amounts of the former have been found in the latter, and more research is needed to determine whether stomach acids have the ability to degrade carrageenan, and since the EU has decided to take a precautionary approach and banned carrageenan altogether in products intended for consumption by infants (while the USDA has set no such limits)...i've decided it's one more additive i can do without, at least in the foods i eat.

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

:lol: you beat me to it. and Cabot is what we ate when we were still doing dairy (yogurt especially), which is why i suggested that folks check labels and choose the brands that don't rely on stuff like gelatin and chemicals.

i did read recently that carrageenan (something i've relied on for a long time as a safe, plant-based stabilizer) may be cancer-inducing in higher quantities. reading more, i learned the difference between degraded and undegraded (food grade) carrageenan.

but since trace amounts of the former have been found in the latter, and more research is needed to determine whether stomach acids have the ability to degrade carrageenan, and since the EU has decided to take a precautionary approach and banned carrageenan altogether in products intended for consumption by infants (while the USDA has set no such limits)...i've decided it's one more additive i can do without, at least in the foods i eat.

:bows to the most heady:

#15 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

This post is hidden because hoagie rarely has anything to say that isn't intended to provoke attention and/or a negative reaction, and you've grown tired of it (again).

#16 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Cabot dairy products kick ass! Plus you can test most/all of them for free=free meal at their factory in northern VT......plus I use to work on a Cabot Coop farm milking and shoveling shit.

#17 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,147 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Posted Image