Photo
- - - - -

Semi-interesting clash of "rights" in Canada...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_2140277.html

TORONTO (RNS) In case of competing rights, a Toronto woman has lodged a complaint against a barber who refused to cut her hair because he's Muslim.
In June, Faith McGregor requested a man's haircut at the Terminal Barber Shop in downtown Toronto. Co-owner Omar Mahrouk told her that his Muslim faith prohibits him from touching a woman who is not a member of his family. All the other barbers in the shop said the same thing.
"For me it was just a haircut and started out about me being a woman," McGregor, 35, told the Toronto Star. "Now we're talking about religion versus gender versus human rights and businesses in Ontario."
She has filed a complaint with Ontario's Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario because the incident made her feel like a "second-class citizen."
McGregor is not seeking monetary damages, but wants the tribunal to force the shop to offer men's haircuts to both genders.
"In our faith, I can cut my mother's hair, I can cut my sister's hair, I can cut my wife's hair, my daughter's hair," shop co-owner Karim Saaden told The Star. "We are people who have values and we hold on to (them). I am not going to change what the faith has stated to us to do."
McGregor rejected an offer from the shop to find a barber to cut her hair.
"It's the principle of the matter...This needs to be discussed and now it's bigger than what occurred with me that one day," she told the newspaper.
The case heads to mediation in February. If that fails, an adjudicator appointed by the Human Rights Tribunal will decide the outcome.

While I think his beliefs are narrow-minded and outdated, I feel compelled to take his side...

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Sounds like she should go somewhere else to get a hair cut.

#3 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

What is narrow-minded about it? I think there are a few religions that have the same type belief (not touching the opposite sex)

While I agree it's a little outdated I think if it's a religious thing and isn't hurting anyone it should be accepted/respected.

Sounds like she's just interested in stirring shit up

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,762 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I've got $10 says she is a total LOLberal.

Any takers? How can we find out for sure?

McGregor is not seeking monetary damages, but wants the tribunal to force the shop to offer men's haircuts to both genders.

Posted Image

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I think there are a few religions that have the same type belief (not touching the opposite sex)

I find that belief pretty narrow-minded. But as I've tried to make clear above, I support his right to have it. And yup, she shoulda found another barber.

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

And in case it isn't clear, "rights" is wrapped in quotes in the thread title, because I don't believe we have a right to get a haircut anywhere we want to.

#7 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm inclined to believe McGregor IS a second class citizen

#8 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

I should be able to deny you a haircut if I don't like the color shoes you are wearing. I should be able to open a barber and not give one fucking haircut to anyone.

#9 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

And in case it isn't clear, "rights" is wrapped in quotes in the thread title, because I don't believe we have a right to get a haircut anywhere we want to.

We can tell just by looking at your 'do. :rolling:

#10 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

We can tell just by looking at your 'do. :rolling:

:lmao:

And still, I have yet to sue anyone over the unfair treatment I'm receiving...

#11 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I should be able to deny you a haircut if I don't like the color shoes you are wearing. I should be able to open a barber and not give one fucking haircut to anyone.

I like the cut of your jib, son. No, I won't be investing in your business, but I like the cut of your jib.