131 replies to this topic

#1 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Job loss bad. Food Victory good

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...s-shutdown.html

Hostess Brands says it is going out of business, closing plants that make Twinkies and Wonder Bread and laying off all of its 18,500 workers.
The Irving, Texas-based company says a nationwide worker strike crippled its ability to make and deliver its products at several locations.
Hostess had warned employees that it would file a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to unwind its business and sell assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by Thursday evening.
The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade.

#2 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,573 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Timing is everything :lol:

#3 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,869 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Cloud Cakes for the win.

Posted Image

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Those who know of my circa 1987 Electric Twinkie experience will understand that this saddens me a little. And I feel for the folks who are losing their jobs.

Overall, though, I don't think Twinkies going away is a terrible thing.

#5 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Imma guess someone will buy the rights and twinkies will LIVE

#6 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,679 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Blame it on the greedy unions? :huh:

#7 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

New! Melaminies! Get some today! from goodchinabakery.com...

#8 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

New! Melaminies! Get some today! from goodchinabakery.com...

:clap:

#9 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

i can't remember the last time that i've had a twinkie.

#10 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,784 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Where are you, you spongy yellow delicious bastards?

#11 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,677 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

bakers strike.? I didn't think there was any baking involved with twinkie :dunno:

#12 Tad Dense

Tad Dense
  • VibeTribe
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Blame it on the greedy unions? :huh:

BINGO!

Where are you, you spongy yellow delicious bastards?

nice Zombieland reference!!! :smile:

#13 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

bakers strike.? I didn't think there was any baking involved with twinkie :dunno:

You misunderstand...the bakers referred to are the smot pokers who were Hostess's sole target market.

#14 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

You misunderstand...the bakers referred to are the smot pokers who were Hostess's sole target market.

:lol:

#15 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,080 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

hopefully the new Twinkie makers will go back to using yummy delicious animal lard in their frostings since the transfat thing is a scam anyways.

Twinkies and Suzy-Q's have never been the same since and is more than likely the root cause of their fallen snack cake empire not really consumer preference issue other than Hostess went for cheap and lost...if that's what they meant by consumer prference changes.

#16 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Twinkies and Suzy-Q's have never been the same...

You say that like it's a bad thing...

#17 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,080 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Cloud Cakes for the win.

Posted Image

I am a li'l debbie snack cake fan...with Hostees out of the way watch li'l deb jack her prices up...THAT BITCH! :funny1:

#18 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

I've had Cloud Cakes. They're passable, but nothing beats a Twinkie. This is truly a sad day for me. :cry: Twinkies helped build America.

As an aside: guess that strike didn't work out so well. Way to strike yourselves right out of your jobs. Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,784 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Twinkies helped build America.

Indeed! :jamguy:

#20 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

I've had Cloud Cakes. They're passable, but nothing beats a Twinkie. This is truly a sad day for me. :cry: Twinkies helped build America.

As an aside: guess that strike didn't work out so well. Way to strike yourselves right out of your jobs. Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Fuck that, no one deserves an 8% paycut to make up for the fact that Costco booted Hostess out of its stores. The Hostess management tried to save its ass at the expense of its employees. Bad bad bad business move.

#21 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Fuck that, no one deserves an 8% paycut to make up for the fact that Costco booted Hostess out of its stores. The Hostess management tried to save its ass at the expense of its employees. Bad bad bad business move.

I guess instead of an 8% decrease, they can instead have a pink slip and a trip tot eh UE line. Sounds like they made the right choice!

Hostess had to do what Hostess had to do. Those jobs that these people had belonged to Hostess, as those folks now know. They did not belong to the workers. Those workers exchanged labor for money. When they asked for too much and the company needed to scale back, instead of understanding that no Hostess meant no job, they got all uppidy and cut off their own nose to spite their face.

Nice work!

#22 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

the company can't pay the workers a fair wage, and it's the workers' fault for demanding a fair wage?

maybe they should have come up with a better product.

#23 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Doesn't matter now, someone else will buy those patents at auction and the products will live on. So will the 18,500 workers. Only they will do so in the UE line....and probably never recoup their pensions either.

#24 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

the company can't pay the workers a fair wage, and it's the workers' fault for demanding a fair wage?

The real reason that Hostess had to "scale back" is because in the last 6 months, they have lost so much shelf space out there due to really piss-poor management. The entire management structure was overhauled within the last year, and whoever took over drove the company right into the ground ala Clark Griswold in Vacation.

Costco was the first to end their contract with Hostess, followed by Walmart, and others were next in line. Poor management continued with the attempt to raise profits by reducing wages across the board by 8%. I can;t think of ANY industry where this would be acceptable.

and Hostess is not the only company in trouble here. Just check out this article talking about how Costco is now fighting Coca-Cola over pricing, and is not carrying "the real thing"any longer.

http://www.msnbc.msn...s/#.UKZz4OQ0XTo

#25 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

OK, so instead of keeping a job the strike force is now unemployed. Who did they hurt the most? The executives of the company who will iquidate the assets adn walk away with capital, or the workers who will walk away to the UE line?

#26 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,080 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

The real reason that Hostess had to "scale back" is because in the last 6 months, they have lost so much shelf space out there due to really piss-poor management. The entire management structure was overhauled within the last year, and whoever took over drove the company right into the ground ala Clark Griswold in Vacation.

Costco was the first to end their contract with Hostess, followed by Walmart, and others were next in line. Poor management continued with the attempt to raise profits by reducing wages across the board by 8%. I can;t think of ANY industry where this would be acceptable.

and Hostess is not the only company in trouble here. Just check out this article talking about how Costco is now fighting Coca-Cola over pricing, and is not carrying "the real thing"any longer.

http://www.msnbc.msn...s/#.UKZz4OQ0XTo

they brought in an ax-man for restructuring/reorganizing...never a good thing. although I blame the union for sinking the ship, Hostess may have made the holes but the union cried instead of plugging the holes.

#27 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

OK, so instead of keeping a job the strike force is now unemployed. Who did they hurt the most? The executives of the company who will iquidate the assets adn walk away with capital, or the workers who will walk away to the UE line?

Its the principle of the matter. They stuck to their guns, and will find other jobs. No room for exploitative manufacturing companies anymore, sir.

#28 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Yes, exploitive jobs. Proletariat Unite!

#29 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yes, exploitive jobs. Proletariat Unite!

Bullshitvics

#30 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Bullshitvics

:lol:

#31 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

100% assumption. and a piss poor one at that. You say they are losing shelf space yet are trying to increase profits by cutting workers wages? Acupulco Gold'd

If there was NO profit to be made, do you really think they would have just closed?

#32 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

100% assumption. and a piss poor one at that. You say they are losing shelf space yet are trying to increase profits by cutting workers wages? Acupulco Gold'd

If there was NO profit to be made, do you really think they would have just closed?

They have been running at a loss for a while now, maybe more than a year.

#33 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Twinkees have a shelf life of > 10,000 years or so. Buy in bulk, you will be handing them down to your grandkids...

#34 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,573 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Pssst hey buddy, looking to buy a twinkie :dhs:

#35 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

They have been running at a loss for a while now, maybe more than a year.

as many companies do in times of transition. how does this proposed wage cut transfer into increased profits?

#36 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

a twinkee, not a dinky

#37 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

a twinkee, not a dinky

slinky...

#38 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

The expression "I almost shit a twinkie" will be lost on future generations.

#39 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,784 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

:lol: Reminds me of this guy.

#40 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

It only costs a nickle...

A NICKLE?!

Shhhhhhh....riiiiight...

So buy the O(unce) and take it home, tonight.

Classic

#41 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Posted Image

#42 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

The madness has started. I'd love to get my hands on some Twinkies, but not at this price! :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20cd912994

#43 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,573 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

I got some Twinkies yesterday, along with some SuzyQ's and Hostess cupcakes (Deb got Sno-balls) :heart:

#44 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

I got some Twinkies yesterday, along with some SuzyQ's and Hostess cupcakes (Deb got Sno-balls) :heart:

I looked today, couldn't find any Twinkies or Suzy-Qs. Will look again at the other supermarket in town. Did score 2 loaves of Wonder Bread to make stuffing.

#45 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

those 50 twinkies are selling for $405....

how can that be? That's like $8 a twinkie.

If people are willing to pay that much, how in the world are they unable to sustain themselves?

#46 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

:facepalm:

#47 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Just make your own.

http://www.topsecret...kie-Recipe.html

#48 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,080 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

ya know....perhaps it has been the workers fault for years for this decline did ya ever think of that? who is making theses products?!? management? unioon workers can't submit new ideas to management or is it not in their job description?

maybe the union's position is money and not caring that their peeps are pushing out a shit product...you want more money to keep pushing out crap?!?

you act just like the big wigs that you are there to make sure shit like this doesn't happen....shameful greedy bastards :undecided:

those workers should have been happy enough that they still had a job at any pay cut!!!

#49 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

snagged some zingers today...

whatamibid???

#50 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:25 PM